Topic: A bit o' holiday mischief: Pteq with the Transgressor transient shaper

Born partly out of a desire to experiment and partly out of a hope that others may experiment and share their better results.  Uses the Transgressor plugin from Boz Digital, which lets the user apply differing EQ's and amplitudes to enharmonic freqs (those of the transient) and to the other freqs. No effect on the first example, note, which is of Piet humbling us with a piece he calls Weathered, which was originally meant for the U3 upright: (Some notes below)

1. Pianoteq using the default Steinway B Prelude preset with no changes and no external effects:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....ffects.mp3

2. Pianoteq using the default Steinway B Prelude preset with no changes but with the Trangressor plugin added afterwards:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....ressor.mp3

Piet--I hope you don't mind me using this. You at one time said it was fine to use your MIDI recordings. That was several years back. I hope I'm not offending by using this file to toy around with a transient effect.

Notes:

1. The original Pianteq version sounds fuller and better, to me. The Transgressor version does have a nice "rattly" sound at times though, and I'm wondering where further explorations might lead.
2. These two recordings sound more different in Reaper. Somehow, Audacity, which I used to convert the Wave files to mp3's made them both quieter and more similar. I raised their levels 9 decibels in Audacity to compensate, but the sound is still bit different. Pianoteq sounds much less "crisp" and more full in Reaper.
3. In Transgressor, I started with the preset called Snare Sizzle and made a very few changes. The orginal plan was to create an excellent sound, but I found that, instead, I could simply create many variations, some of which sounded interesting and some of which didn't. Here, I raised the amplitude of the lower freq's in the transient section, reduced them a bit on the other side, and raised the Threshold a little, so that softer notes and chords had a bit more bass and knock, yet things didn't get too boomy as the amplitude increased.
4. This won't be everyone's cup of tea or down everyone's alley, but that may be because I don't know what I'm doing, exactly, and more experienced minds can lead to better sounds, and better cups of tea in more respectable alleys.
5. This company also makes a plugin called Big Beautiful Door, which is a gate-EQ combo that can also make some interesting variations in a piano sound. Very similar looking interface.
6. When using either Transgressor or BB Door, try expanding the dynamic range of Pianoteq. (That was not done in the above recording, for I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. Probably should have changed it.) Gives the louder bass and lower mid freqs in the Transgressor a bit more room to develop.
7. I'm not associated, etc with the company in any way. Just ran across these as part of a sale.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-12-2018 20:15)

Re: A bit o' holiday mischief: Pteq with the Transgressor transient shaper

For fun, a slower illustration that may better expose the differences. Rendered from a MIDI file of "Send in the Clowns" by Doug McKenzie:

1. Pianoteq Steinway B Prelude with no external effects and no edits:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....281%29.mp3

2. Pianoteq Steinway B Prelude to the Transgressor transient shaper:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....Clowns.mp3

This screenshot of the preset used in Transgressor may help in seeing and hearing the differences. See the brief note below the screenshot, please:

https://i.postimg.cc/K88YNQZH/Transgressor-with-Pianoteq-Preset1.png

Note that the transient middle freqs, on the left side, are less scooped out than those on the right side. One result, I think, is that there is a greater sense of separation between the harder. louder transient sounds and the other freqs, perhaps creating an illusion of greater dynamics without actually changing the overall dynamic range.

So, this program seems to give us another way to sculpt the output, a bit. The changes can of course be larger or slighter. Again, I'm sure that this won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-12-2018 23:36)

Hi Jake, I like the idea behind that tool - could see it as very useful. Usually I'd only want to use these on drums or staccato sounds - but to be able to tweak the tails with the 2nd part of this looks like more can be done with it than others.

I shy from using transient tools with complex piano music or non rhythmic elements unless 'reasons' (I'm hopeful in time Pianoteq will add more tools for hammers/noises - which should be better because it would theoretically be integrated or closest to 'model level' and for each of our exact key strikes, rather than applied in post production sense with tools affecting the whole audio file.)

Right now, for operations like spiking hammers (or other things like the almost opposite kinds of washy wide reverbs), I edit more than a few tracks of the same performance. One track might be just for the attack - a lot of bass cut, gated so it hits instantly but fades super quick, and maybe slightly wider image than the main track (to help give placement to the hammers) - mixed low, it can add without affecting the overall mix (no pumping, compressing, pushing other elements around, pitting etc) - like having an extra in-close mic without picking up all the strings tailing notes - no limits to how you approach it I suppose.

That tool's ability to handle different frequencies for different 'ends' of the sound wave shows really high promise, esp. in your 2nd example - much less 'lossy' to get the more crisp attack.

Ho ho merry Christmas and thanks for supplying a possible stocking filler

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

Hi Jake, I like the idea behind that tool - could see it as very useful. Usually I'd only want to use these on drums or staccato sounds - but to be able to tweak the tails with the 2nd part of this looks like more can be done with it than others.

I shy from using transient tools with complex piano music or non rhythmic elements unless 'reasons' (I'm hopeful in time Pianoteq will add more tools for hammers/noises - which should be better because it would theoretically be integrated or closest to 'model level' and for each of our exact key strikes, rather than applied in post production sense with tools affecting the whole audio file.)

Right now, for operations like spiking hammers (or other things like the almost opposite kinds of washy wide reverbs), I edit more than a few tracks of the same performance. One track might be just for the attack - a lot of bass cut, gated so it hits instantly but fades super quick, and maybe slightly wider image than the main track (to help give placement to the hammers) - mixed low, it can add without affecting the overall mix (no pumping, compressing, pushing other elements around, pitting etc) - like having an extra in-close mic without picking up all the strings tailing notes - no limits to how you approach it I suppose.

That tool's ability to handle different frequencies for different 'ends' of the sound wave shows really high promise, esp. in your 2nd example - much less 'lossy' to get the more crisp attack.

Ho ho merry Christmas and thanks for supplying a possible stocking filler

I agree that the "Send in the Clowns" example shows better results. And, yes, it would be great to be able to edit the settings hammer-by-hammer\note-by-note. We can get close to that with something like Cantible, which lets the user create several zones. I think we would have to load Pianoteq separately into each zone, however, and then load this Transgressor effect into each zone. Haven't tried it yet, since I loath complicated setups and am fairly certain that this one would strain if not crash my computer after I banged out a few chords.

That said, I do hope other people will download the 30 day trial version, at least, and see what they come up with. Variations on the above preset sound good to me, with the dip in the midrange set to varying freqs and changes in volume. But there's more to try in this program, given the ability to use different filters on each band, the Mix knob, the envelope for the attack, etc.

Another, better, more exposed version, with a new preset in Transgressor and using the Steinway B Intimate. Give this piece a few minutes. Starts a little calmly, but livens up. The Intimate preset is often wonderful here. The addition of the effect can't be said to improve it, exactly. The effect does bring out the solo line quite a bit at times, however. Sometimes subtly, sometimes starkly. There will be a quiz over which happens when. Better than the default sound? No. Different and appealing for some uses? To me, yes.

The MIDI file is named "New Orleans." I do not know who the performer is. I downloaded this from somewhere long ago. If anyone recognizes this, please let me know, so that I can include an acknowledgement. EDIT:  I have learned that this file was created by Doug McKenzie, and he offers it for free on his site at

https://bushgrafts.com/midi/

He of course retains the copyright and should be given credit when this file is used for testing Transgressor or otherwise, and it can't be used for commercial purposes.

Pianoteq Steinway B Intimate preset with no effect:
https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....rleans.mp3

Pianoteq Steinway B Intimate preset with Transgressor and a simple notch EQ preset:
https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....rleans.mp3

Notes on the preset, as shown in the screenshot below:

1. Only one one-notch EQ was used, and for a limited freq range. (The programmers call this notch eq a bell eq)
2. The same freq range Is raised on the Transient side and reduced on the Sustain side, but not equally. It's raised less on the Transient side than it's reduced on the Sustain side.  Lots of room for experimentation, here. (You can see the exact freqs at work only when you hover over or move a knob. The freq will appear on the black band at the bottom of the interface. See the freq of the notch filter at the lower right of the picture below.)
3. The Mix button is only at about 2 o'clock.
4. The Hold portion of the envelope is elongated a bit.

(I tried to upload the Transgressor preset to the "Other files" part of the Pianoteq Site, but the site rejected it.)

The picture of the preset:

https://i.postimg.cc/y6LH1XWC/Transgressor-with-Pianoteq-Steinway-B-Intimate.png

Last edited by Jake Johnson (10-08-2019 16:09)

Man through Transgressor, Pianoteq sounds just like a really professionally recorded er processed piano recording  —like any from some big record label.  Maybe one Santa will be good to me this year and leave a copy of Transgressor licensed to me at this very much needed time (that is) one of world peace.

Though, Jake, I’ve enjoyed your recordings of both Pianoteq and the transient shaper software combined, and also learned from your compensating for the transient frequency gain by the identical frequency in the sustains, to me the recordings sound overly bright  —same as my own Pianoteq recordings.

I’m presently considering whether or not another software altogether —bx_refinement from Plugin-Alliance— should eventually become mine, out of necessity, if I am ever to reduce overall Pianoteq brightness just enough to match other professional sounding recordings.  This software appears especially pricey when added to the cost of LiquidSonics’ Illusion, the reverb plug-in which already I had to get this month, specifically, because of its offering uncanny tweak ability and realism.  That is for believable er passable lifelike recordings seeming plausibly acoustic.

Currently, Transgressor itself at a $29.00 sale price appears very reasonably priced!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (22-12-2018 08:48)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

The bx_Refinement plugin does look interesting. Have you downloaded their demo version and tried it on Pianoteq, yet? If you do, I hope that you'll start a new thread and let us know and hear what you find. I think they only offer a 12 day grace period on their demo's, but that might be enough time to learn what it can do.

I've learned that it's wise to keep up with the changing xmas sale at Plugin Alliance, particularly if one has bought something from them before. Because I bought one program, and signed up on their site to receive emails and ads, I get an extra discount. When the programs that are on sale change, Plugin Alliance sends out an email with the extra discount that is applied after the sale price. I was able to buy the bx_Xl Vs compressor\limiter for about 1/3 less than the sale price.

I looked up Illusion, the reverb program that you mentioned. Does look promising. Do you have recordings that you want to share of using it with Pianoteq? Always interested in new reverbs, here.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (30-12-2018 07:08)

Someone requested a copy  of the MIDI file "New Orleans," used in trying out Transgressor with Pianoteq in this thread. I have now learned that this file was created by Doug McKenzie, and he offers it free on his site at

https://bushgrafts.com/midi/  The file "Send in the Clowns" was also created by Mr. McKenzie, and is available at this same site.

I've also uploaded it to the Other Files section of the forum, in case anyone wants to test it with Transgressor or any preset. Or you can download it by clicking on:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....rleans.mid

Obviously, although Mr. McKenzie has generously made this and other solo piano MIDI files available, he retains copyright, and needs to be credited when one of his files is used for these demonstrations. I've edited my earlier post that used this file to credit it to Mr. McKenzie.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (29-01-2019 15:06)

Qexl wrote:

... I'm hopeful in time Pianoteq will add more tools for hammers/noises - which should be better because it would theoretically be integrated or closest to 'model level' and for each of our exact key strikes, rather than applied in post production sense with tools affecting the whole audio file....

After playing around with Transgressor some more, I returned to this thread and paused over this thought of something similar being incorporated into Pianoteq, and on a note-by-note basis. That sounds like a wonderful idea. Yet I'm not sure that the differences that Transgressor creates exist in a real piano, so I'm not sure if it could be included as a set of parameters. What would cause the odd partials to have a different partial structure from the even partials? There could be something or some combination of physical properties and forces, but I can't imagine what those are.

On the other hand, Transgressor can create a sound as real as Pianoteq alone, which makes me think that the differences between the odd and even partials can exist in a real piano. Otherwise, the sound produced by adding in Transgressor would sound unnatural. (And Pianoteq's Pro version allows us to change the relative volume of the odd and even partials, indicating that odd and even partials can differ in some ways.) But I'm still at a loss about what physical qualities of a piano would cause these differences.

Of course, it would be great to have something similar to  this embedded in the program, even if the source of the differences is not identified, possibly as an effect. Any control over the sound that creates a realistic variation is, to me, valuable.

Heya Jake, thought provoking - thanks!

Jake Johnson wrote:

not sure that the differences that Transgressor creates exist in a real piano

I'll try bust apart where my thoughts were. Yep certainly, that points out that plugins can do things which may be "not real piano" I always hope our thoughts lead to inspiration for further invention for Pianoteq.

In a way the tool seems to give a nice insight into what modelling might be attacked and how ideas from the tool (production really, not new but new in a single tool perhaps) could lead to mathematical constructs describing the initial event, which could theoretically cause extra clarity in that part of the key strike (as it stands though it's currently tremendous nonetheless! not to suggest noticeable lack or anything to be certain). The forensics on the initial impact are particularly good IMO. But

The transient from hammers striking while playing is modelled in Pianoteq so well thus far and includes (tangential) transient info which is alterable in several ways in Pianoteq. For example, we know we can alter hammer hardness (for piano, mezzo, forte which can sharpen or blunt the attack - and we get 3 layers of overlapping transient signal handling which follows our velocity this way unless I'm mistaken but it seems extremely good - like it sets a logical curve rather than being didactic about exactly only 3 hard-layered variables) and increase hammer noise but in terms of altering more details in this space, I've no doubt Modartt will over time have even more tools for us, which act on more aspects of these same things (and even some extra attack shaping on transients maybe as result of a quite separate set of items inside Pianoteq.) but perhaps as these user super-abilities appear in the Ptq interface they will be most likely 'from ground up' inside the model and modeled as per each real piano and preset, rather than via a post production tool which can only shape an overall signal, not component parts therein.

Kind of what I like most about Pianoteq - it can be produced to within an inch of its life just with internal tools - but you can always return to rational defaults and be reminded just how into over-production territory we've strayed at times (nothing wrong with some hard working studio production techniques to pull a sound) - just putting this in, because I'm kind of saying that, without extraneous studio techniques, Pianoteq is sounding more and more real (transients too) - so I guess there are two different things in play "production values of the tools" we like to produce with and "realism baked into Pianoteq" from which we begin to operate upon in our production chains.

In playing, you don't necessarily want to experience exactly the same identical transient response or handling routine with every individual key strike, soft through to hard (esp. if performance has wide dynamic range - definitely, some modern production might dictate absolutely the opposite, compressed repetitive etc. - a lot of people experience that, before they experience a real piano).

One obvious good example of why a transient might want to be (almost) randomly different per key strike, is apparent in bass strings, once already vibrating, a second softer key strike will give a different (maybe fuzzy) transient with scattered overtones sometimes giving a metallic ping rather than a knocking transient with less of the vibration reaching down to the wood (esp. if it glances lightly off a string as its vibration colludes - either way, if the extant string vib is traveling up or down, the hammer can create just a touch different transient - in theory same applies to all strings within degrees of difference in overall effect, even minuscule can amount to 'something' in the confluence of elements in range, which adds up to affect 'the harp' as it relates to cabinet sound 'colour' etc.) - even in production, you may not want to 'kill' anything of this - which a tool in a mix chain might make disappear or on the flip-side, boost it even obnoxiously to gain something initially wanted such as a sharper bite (at cost of 'something' maybe considered more realistic). At the heart of production, is the notion of cutting and boosting elements for effect, not always in consideration of true values, to push a drama or restrain some emotional quotient etc.

I go further to considering the string and hammer modelling have bounds which, although are not directly affecting each other, are still 'nested', such as how the vibrations of the metal frame hangs over the soundboard - the physical movements (like string vibration) here are tiny as it relates to transient as consequence of action of the hammers (but part of the real system of this big metal thing bounded in space inside an acoustic environ, while hammers tap the strings floating within causing all the forces to shape final sounds in various directions etc.). When you tap a bridge on a guitar you hear a transient thump through the whole body and feel the force vibrate to the neck etc. So on piano, even if extremely short! soft through to violent, each key strike's transient has way more detailed info inherent than simply an envelope shape on the front end (and tail - zooming right in of course) which is in some ways at least, as destructive as it may be additive to a signal.

I guess in the end, I love production tools but I think we always can backward-engineer what's going on for us who apply these tools, then try work out what might be useful as an addition to the originating signal (Pianoteq in this case) in terms of enhancing something in the model which users are attempting to enhance themselves.

Hope that kind of displays the thinking I really do like the tool! - it's certainly the best transient shaper I've seen yet! (that handling of front and back of signal with envelope is something right up my street).

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Jake Johnson wrote:

The bx_Refinement plugin does look interesting. Have you downloaded their demo version and tried it on Pianoteq, yet? If you do, I hope that you'll start a new thread and let us know and hear what you find. I think they only offer a 12 day grace period on their demo's, but that might be enough time to learn what it can do.

I've learned that it's wise to keep up with the changing xmas sale at Plugin Alliance, particularly if one has bought something from them before. Because I bought one program, and signed up on their site to receive emails and ads, I get an extra discount. When the programs that are on sale change, Plugin Alliance sends out an email with the extra discount that is applied after the sale price. I was able to buy the bx_Xl Vs compressor\limiter for about 1/3 less than the sale price.

I looked up Illusion, the reverb program that you mentioned. Does look promising. Do you have recordings that you want to share of using it with Pianoteq? Always interested in new reverbs, here.

I just want to say, thanks for the heads-up on the occasional savings at Plugin-Alliance, though I'm having to say it belatedly!

Specifically about bx_refinement, I have to hold-off from its download and purchase because of my budget and other factors including my having to wait for a time when I can afford to impress a certain female jazz pianist, enough to record with me on drums and her at a keyboard!  Although Plugin-Alliance recently sent email offers of substantial savings, I was just unable to take any advantage of the offers.  Thankfully I got the Pianoteq updates which I feel now greatly address the issues I was experiencing with overtly bright piano recordings specifically.  Maybe I'm merely one of many fans now of the latest revoicings!  As such I've recently posted a preset from the improvements to FXP Corner.  I do anticipate the combination of Pianoteq and bx_refinement along with Millennia plugins, and even Vertigo VSC-2 (each also from Plugin-Alliance) are fine today for the overall recorded ensemble jazz sound I'm looking to get.

I’m now going to make a recording of my using together LiquidSonics’ Illusion and Pianoteq forthcoming!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (03-04-2019 08:40)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Though Transgressor no longer appears needed because of model improvements in Pianoteq v6.5.3 and previous versions, I recently posted audio examples of bx_refinement and LiquidSonics’ Illusion used with Pianoteq to my topic: Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic preset.

LiquidSonics' Illusion reverb is an alternative to Pianoteq's reverb when used in a DAW mix, while bx_refinement can tone down overall harshness whenever too prevalent in a mix mastered, economically, inside a home studio.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (18-07-2019 19:40)

Just a head's up--AudioDelux has Transgressor on sale for $19. Haven't tried it with more recent versions of Pianoteq:

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/category/br...tal-labs?f[0]=bm_field_on_sale_now%3Atrue

Note that this is a new version of Transgressor, version 2. The demos earlier in this thread were done with an older version of Pianoteq and version 1 of Transgressor.