Topic: Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic Preset

In response to requests and inquieries I’ve gotten involving various outside software applications with regards to audio examples featuring Pianoteq presets, I make the following available  —while potentially subtopics to ongoing discussions: Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic Preset.

The included playlist selections individually available on SoundCloud include the following tracks:

1. Steinway B Close Mic Preset

2. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered

3. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/Refinement Dynamic Damping

4. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/Refinement Oscillator Damping

5. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/VirtualSoundStage (XY90)

6. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/VirtualSoundStage (ORTF)

7. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/VirtualSoundStage (Blumlein)

8. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/VirtualSoundStage (Decca Tree)

9. Steinway B Close Mic Preset Mastered w/Illusion

They are each a different rendition of Be the One, by Miles Black.

For study, the first two (2) files are ready as downloads, if you want to load both into a DAW for your comparison and observe exactly how these differ from each other stereophonically  —via your DAW coherence plugin.  They were created from the PIANOTEQ Steinway B Close Mic preset in both its default state and a resultant mastered version that in addition to other processes and effects essentially was compressed and equalized.  Various other mastered varieties follow from unmodified preset delay and reverb settings to reverberation outside PIANOTEQ (numbered 3 to 9).

Basic file descriptions belonging to each file, uniquely, appear on SoundCloud.  Although, I’m new to it.

Detailed descriptions are forthcoming to this thread.

I welcome any of your comments and inquiries!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (28-08-2019 21:33)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Re: Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic Preset

There is a strong change in the timbre in the Mastered version. You mention that there were several edits made, with the strongest changes being the use of EQ and compression. Will you share the edits and effect settings?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (10-08-2019 19:16)

Unfortunately, I neglected to record my exact settings.  I've approximations only. 

But, if you will send an email to me, I'll show the plugin chain from which I got my mastered files!

You too can get results similar to mine and in only a few seconds, since I relied on specific plugins a lot  —including those used to apply corrections to stereo spectrums and to microphone phase cancelations.

About the latter I was concerned in my very first Pianoteq forum post  —the eleventh (11th) part of it, specifically: Note Volume per Mic Output.

Jake, although I took awhile to reply; this reply is hopefully helpful.

I realize a close mic piano sound is important to you!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (19-11-2019 21:58)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Unfortunately, I neglected to record my exact settings.  I've approximations only. 

But, if you will send an email to me, I'll show the plugin chain from which I got my mastered files!

You too can get results similar to mine and in only a few seconds, since I relied on specific plugins a lot  —including those used to apply corrections to stereo spectrums and microphone phase cancelations.

About the latter I was concerned in my very first Pianoteq forum post  —the eleventh (11th) part of it, specifically: Note Volume per Mic Output.

Jake, although I took awhile to reply; this reply is hopefully helpful.

I realize a close mic piano sound is important to you!

I sent you an email.

With the PDF I emailed to you, I left off any mention of my use of Mastering the Mix EXPOSE.  Which I used in my final preparation onto SoundCloud.

The software is available as a freebie to the end of this month of September.

You get it at the Plugin Boutique website: https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles...3796412820.