Topic: More perceived realism

Hello together,
I am new to pianoteq and to the forum and just wanted to share my experiences.

I am using the Model B, and I tried various ways, how to make it even more "real" or "rich" to me.

I found the easiest way for my personal tast is to just add two free saturation plugins behind it. Which is for me Ferric TDS with both big knobs at 1/3 and tube pre-Amp by phi-L Audio with "Drive" as low as possible. These are subtle changes which really suite my personal taste much better than without, listening to it with monitors as well as headphones.

Another step for me to improved realism was to add a good third party reverb, for me with the model b really work well the acon digital reverb solo (free) or Reverberate with Bricasti Fusion IR (pay).

Hope this gives some input to others out there for finding their optimal setup.

If there are hints or experiences on how to even more improve the perceived realism, I am happy to get to know them!

Last edited by Jazzist (22-10-2016 09:05)

Re: More perceived realism

Could you post some recordings that you've made uisng the saturation plug-ins? And others with the reverb?

In the other files area there are 3 files of some chords I just played for comparison. They are not named to avoid prejudice.
(I am kind of beginner on the piano though, it's the sound that matters).
Which one do you like most?

Last edited by Jazzist (23-10-2016 11:15)

Thanks for the hint, I just tried the free 'Acon digital reverb solo'  and this one alone is already a great improvement in sound, IMHO.
I use the Model B also as my main instrument, and adding a decent amount of reverb with the Acon plugin, aside from the reverb itself,
seem to  give a very lush extra "body" to the sound, especially when using headphones.
This is my standard configuration now (using Cantabile as a host).

Jazzist,  I have been struggling with the same thing:  trying to make Pianoteq sound as real as possible.  My goal is that I should be able to sit at my piano and not remember whether I am playing the acoustic piano or the synthesized piano, by the way I set things when I last was sitting on the bench (don't get me wrong - It's super-cool that it can be so many instruments, so I'm not trying to just emulate my piano, though I've done some work there as well).

Here's a thread I started about speaker orientation and realism from a few months ago:  http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4625

It, and other stuff I have post may be of interest to your cause.

- David

- David

I've never looked into this topic. Can reverbs be created, saved and added to Pianoteq?
Are there other places you can go to to get more?
Or
Does Pianoteq need a more complex reverb creation panel with more fields and sliders?
I can't think what would be needed, though others might be able to.

Last edited by DonSmith (24-10-2016 07:06)

You can use other reverb plugins after Pianoteq.

Hard work and guts!

David, thank you for the hint! I just turned the speakers 90 degrees and adjusted the high frequency (more). Now with the reflected sound it's indeed more involving. I also like you mic placements in the 1885.

Glad that helped.  Also, a couple of small satellites turned towards you and just cracked open enough to restore some of the lost treble from turning the mains skyward can help as well.  They just have to barely be heard.

Thanks for the mike placement compliment.  I found that very small changes here make large differences in perception.  Since the 1885, I have tried various other similar locations.

- David