Topic: FXP Request - Roland V-Piano - Possibly Vintage Piano 1

Hey,
Can I have a request for FXP preset? I'm not really good at piano modeling in pianoteq, but I want to get really close to a sound that produces Roland V-Piano model. Here is how it sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFh2M9i86uM

It sounds really deep and loud in a low part maintaining clear sound - I can hear individual notes, it doesn't sound muddy. He plays it probably on Vintage Piano 1 preset - idk if that information would be helpful.

When I play this piece on default preset D4, the sound is not that deep at all especially in a low part of piano keyboard (no matter how hard I hit). I've tried other presets and equalizer settings, but I couldn't find the right one.

V-Piano also uses piano modeling, so I guess it could be achieved in Pianoteq.

I can even pay for this up to 50$ if someone will be able to reproduce that sound.

Thanks.

Re: FXP Request - Roland V-Piano - Possibly Vintage Piano 1

Perhaps this post (made by other user) can help you:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=1634

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Could you tell us something about your sound system and routing of play through ?

marcos daniel wrote:

Perhaps this post (made by other user) can help you:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=1634

Thanks, I will try it. I don't have pro version, but maybe I will get some results.

mp6in wrote:

Could you tell us something about your sound system and routing of play through ?

I'm using focusrite scarlet 2i4 audio interface for real time piano playing with 96khz and 768 samples audio. Sound goes through headphones or piano speakers (dp has audio-in and 45w speakers). Digital piano is connected directly to laptop via USB cable (but it has midi in/out too)

768 is was too big a latency, and 96k doesn't make a big difference in the sound output by Pianoteq. So you should bring it down to 44.1 and at least 256 samples buffer size (preferably even less, like 128).

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

768 is was too big a latency, and 96k doesn't make a big difference in the sound output by Pianoteq. So you should bring it down to 44.1 and at least 256 samples buffer size (preferably even less, like 128).

With these settings I get 8ms delay which is not noticable for me, but I will try today 44.1 with 256 and will see how it goes.

It's most definitely NOT just 8 ms, because what the driver reports is not the whole picture.

https://www.presonus.com/community/Lear...io-Latency

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-06-2015 10:42)
Hard work and guts!

To get down to latency buffer 256 you go into the Scarlett screen ( there is a banner there that says Show this devices Control Panel)  in Pianoteq under Preferences and Devices. You will see a slider to reduce latency ( 256 is 5.6 in my system). Once you move that slider close that panel and from the Devices Main screen hit the drop down and you will see that you can select 5.6.

I don't know how old your Scalett 2i4 is but the latest driver is a big improvement, I run the device and Pianoteq in the Scarlett driver. I run my MP6 on a midi cable through the Scarlett box only because I also play in a church with an old Korg Concert Master 3500 midi out only ( it has RCA as well but who cares). I doubt there would be much difference running a USB direct to your computer but I do run midi through the box, fwiw.

The 2i4 with that latest driver has brought clarity to my system never before heard, running Pianoteq, Adam Audio Studio monitors and an M Audio Sub ( the sub set at a very low setting but it helps fill the deepest bass notes clearly and adds a certain richness up to around middle C as well). Very very realistic sound in the M45 head set or through the sound system. I dare say more detailed sound and better bass than that video you showed us.  I have a few presets of my own but they are just customized presets from the D4 list, the K2 list and the C Bechstein in the Klemsegg series in my Pianoteq 5 Stage version. I ran your video through my sound system and my presets are definitely clearer and richer sounding, as well as less digital sounding. However, the pianist is better than I am at hitting a million notes fast LOL ! My system has a lot of Vrooom to it with supurb dynamic range. I couldn't be happier. I own a grand piano as well, rarely play it anymore. This digital in some of the presets is just memorizing to play and a superb aid to creating my own piano compositions..

BTW yeah, I also think that Pianoteq sounds better than V-Piano at this point. No matter which model you take.

Playing is pretty impressive in that video, though.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-06-2015 11:09)
Hard work and guts!

Very impressive playing indeed ! I just thought the piano itself was lacking a little compared with sounds from Pianoteq, as played through my system. So something, IMO, in the OP's setup may be off. If he thinks the V piano was really clear with deep bass then wait till he hears Pianoteq at it's best. It adds just that much more clarity, detail and very strong realistic D4 bass. He is using the same 2i4 as myself, which aids in that clarity . Well, we will see what he comes up with.

EvilDragon, I could hear that sound from pianoteq was slightly delayed compared to sound from my piano, so you're right, it is not 8ms in total. I think 8ms delay for human being shouldn't be noticable at all (right?).

mp6in, I will follow your steps you gave me. I've just got my scarlett a few days ago, so I guess I have the newest drivers (downloaded from focusrite site).

I hope I will finally get proper sound to fully enjoy playing this piece. I'm learning it (the first one on the video) and playing that fast is not a big problem when you know all the right notes. This piece is not that difficult technically - after a month I was able to play first 45 seconds even faster than he's playing, but you can really hurt your fingers and break your keyboard. After I will learn it I think I might go and play some chopin etudes or liszt (dreaming...)

I'm not at home right now, so I will tell you about my results later. Thanks!

Last edited by PrettyGoodPianoPlayer (17-06-2015 12:56)

Anything below, say, 10-12 ms round-trip latency is going to be unnoticeable for I think almost anyone.

So, try with 44.1 at 256, but if you have CPU to spare, go down to 64. That should yield in very small latency, but your CPU will work a bit harder.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-06-2015 12:56)
Hard work and guts!

44.1@256 (5.6) allows me to trill as fast as I can potentially trill with my fastest trilling fingers ( not all that fast) and that's all I need. I use two different computers, one is an i3 the other i5. Either handles my load. My playing is more about expression and moods, spirituality than speed though. And the Mp6 has a fairly deep throw to the key bed with heavier keys than some digital pianos exhibit. I haven't played serious Chopin in decades, what I have done is far removed from Etudes, more Nocturnes.

I also run within Mixcraft 7 at times for more virtual instruments and both computers handle that as well. I ideally would like to get Warm strings and a Chorus from Mixcraft into Pianoteq though. That would be ideal because Mixcraft limits my Pianoteq to default presets, then I end up having to do a quickie remodel when I already have it done for the instrument I want but doesn't show up in Mixcraft..

mp6in wrote:

Mixcraft limits my Pianoteq to default presets, then I end up having to do a quickie remodel when I already have it done for the instrument I want but doesn't show up in Mixcraft..

Try Renoise. Like Pianoteq, it is available for linux, mac, and windowz. The limitations in the demo version are only slight, you can still load vst/dssi/au/ladspa/etc plugins (both instruments and effects) assign them to tracks, route midi devices to them etc etc.... only linux LV2 plugin support is currently missing, but they're working on it.

If you're using Linux and need LV2, in the mean time you might also find this program "carla" useful, it's basically just a host for various formats of plugins, including VST and LV2.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

PrettyGoodPianoPlayer wrote:

Hey,
Can I have a request for FXP preset? I'm not really good at piano modeling in pianoteq, but I want to get really close to a sound that produces Roland V-Piano model. Here is how it sounds:

I can even pay for this up to 50$ if someone will be able to reproduce that sound.

Thanks.

Hello Mr. PGPP,

I listened to the above video, and have derived these characteristics of the V-Piano by listening to them:

1)  Notice that the player's high notes are panned fairly far left, and the lowest key notes are panned fairly far right.  This suggests an AB (vs. BA) preset with the Stereo Width slider raised to a high value.

2)  Notice that the dynamic range of the video is quite compressed -- I would suggest a dynamic range setting of only(!) 14 or 16dB.  Although this suggestion sounds ludicrous, I am not kidding.

3)  All of the video's notes sounded as though the hammer hardnesses were set high, regardless of velocity value.

Noting that you were using the D4 preset, here are my suggestions for you to try:

A)  Select the D4 Jazz Recording AB preset as your starting point.   

B)  Raise the three hammer hardness settings to 1.40, 1.70 and 2.00, respectively, to develop the "clarity" you perceived.

C)  Reduce the Dynamic Range slider to 14dB; adjust the overall volume slider such that it doesn't go into clipping when you play with high note-on velocity.

D)  In the Sound Recording mode (where you can view and modify microphone settings), increase the Stereo Width slider to 4.50.  (The purpose of this move is to make the high notes come from hard left panning, and the lowest notes come from almost hard right panning.  Again, no joke intended.)

E)  In the Voicing screen, increase the value of the very first slider by 1.40dB in the spectrum profile.

If you find this to be a workable modification, please contact Modartt to obtain jcfelice88keys's mailing address to which to send your $50 reward.

Seriously, these are rather drastic modifications to the D4 Jazz Recording preset; however, these are modifications that I believe will achieve the sound in the youtube video.

Cheers,

Joe   <jcfelice88keys>

jcfelice88keys wrote:

D)  In the Sound Recording mode (where you can view and modify microphone settings), increase the Stereo Width slider to 4.50.  (The purpose of this move is to make the high notes come from hard left panning, and the lowest notes come from almost hard right panning.  Again, no joke intended.)

This i have no idea how it works, since both mics in the recording setting box are placed AT THE RIGHT of the piano, and neither of them are (significantly) closer to the lower or higher strings :? :? :?

delt wrote:
mp6in wrote:

Mixcraft limits my Pianoteq to default presets, then I end up having to do a quickie remodel when I already have it done for the instrument I want but doesn't show up in Mixcraft..

Try Renoise. Like Pianoteq, it is available for linux, mac, and windowz. The limitations in the demo version are only slight, you can still load vst/dssi/au/ladspa/etc plugins (both instruments and effects) assign them to tracks, route midi devices to them etc etc.... only linux LV2 plugin support is currently missing, but they're working on it.

If you're using Linux and need LV2, in the mean time you might also find this program "carla" useful, it's basically just a host for various formats of plugins, including VST and LV2.

Thanks for the tip !

Also check out Reaper and MuLAB.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Also check out Reaper and MuLAB.

I'm thinking I had a Reaper Demo at one point in time, Mu Lab not though. I'm home today so will check out some of these programs, I had a day trip yesterday.

Looking for good flute sounds too, as mentioned in the Guitar thread.

My settings are now 256 samples with 5.8ms latency at 44.1kHz, but sometimes I can hear clicks and cracks - one per  3 - 5 minutes, so I guess I need to increase sample buffer (?). Or is something wrong with my laptop?

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hey,

Thanks.

Hello Mr. PGPP,

I listened to the above video, and have derived these characteristics of the V-Piano by listening to them:

1)  Notice that the player's high notes are panned fairly far left, and the lowest key notes are panned fairly far right.  This suggests an AB (vs. BA) preset with the Stereo Width slider raised to a high value.

2)  Notice that the dynamic range of the video is quite compressed -- I would suggest a dynamic range setting of only(!) 14 or 16dB.  Although this suggestion sounds ludicrous, I am not kidding.

3)  All of the video's notes sounded as though the hammer hardnesses were set high, regardless of velocity value.

Noting that you were using the D4 preset, here are my suggestions for you to try:

A)  Select the D4 Jazz Recording AB preset as your starting point.   

B)  Raise the three hammer hardness settings to 1.40, 1.70 and 2.00, respectively, to develop the "clarity" you perceived.

C)  Reduce the Dynamic Range slider to 14dB; adjust the overall volume slider such that it doesn't go into clipping when you play with high note-on velocity.

E)  In the Voicing screen, increase the value of the very first slider by 1.40dB in the spectrum profile.

If you find this to be a workable modification, please contact Modartt to obtain jcfelice88keys's mailing address to which to send your $50 reward.

Seriously, these are rather drastic modifications to the D4 Jazz Recording preset; however, these are modifications that I believe will achieve the sound in the youtube video.

Cheers,

Joe   <jcfelice88keys>

Hey, Thanks for your effort Joe. Did you test this configuration? The sound is really sharp and too loud when I play with piano touch. I don't have too much dynamics and I can't play anything soft. I've set everything like you said, but I think one of the issues is hammer hardness settings:

Piano - 1.40
Mezzo - 1.70
Forte - 2.00

When I set those like this I have problems described above.

My settings are now 256 samples with 5.8ms latency at 44.1kHz, but sometimes I can hear clicks and cracks - one per  3 - 5 minutes, so I guess I need to increase sample buffer (?). Or is something wrong with my laptop?

Believe or not, I used to play with Pianoteq on a laptop that made pops and cracks due to WiFi adapter... Try turning it off.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Piano - 1.40
Mezzo - 1.70
Forte - 2.00

When I set those like this I have problems described above.

Hello PGPP,

No problem; just proportionally reduce hammer hardness to an amount that works for you.

Cheers, Joe

marcos daniel wrote:

Believe or not, I used to play with Pianoteq on a laptop that made pops and cracks due to WiFi adapter... Try turning it off.

Hahaha let me guess.... windowz, right?

Never had a problem like that because of a wifi adapter (but I've seen it happen for some people, yes). Not Windows' fault - it means the wifi adapter built into the laptop in question is CRAP, in turn increasing DPC latency (big DPC latency - problems for audio programs).

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-06-2015 09:14)
Hard work and guts!

(...) V-Piano also uses piano modeling, so I guess it could be achieved in Pianoteq.(...)

It’s not possible, I'm afraid. Despite both being modeled, Pianoteq and the V-Piano both have a completely different timbral structure and character, making every single detail of every single aspect of the sound really quite different.
And not only that, but neither of them offers the parameters that allow for the kind of adjustments that might bring them both closer together. $50 won’t do it, $500 won’t do it, only $5000 (or thereabouts) will do it, as that buys you a (new) V-Piano.

Here’s a comparison between the two, using the edit of the D4 Jazz Recording preset as suggested by Joe, but with less extreme settings than he proposed (mostly dynamically). Five short alternating fragments, Pianoteq first, followed by the V-Piano.

The V-Piano can sound more massive, bigger and punchier than Pianoteq, yes. And with certain types of playing, and in certain registers of the instrument, it is undeniably a spectacular feat of modeling.
Having said that, over the years I’ve grown quite disappointed with it, not only because of certain very weak spots in the timbre (mostly in the mids and highs), but also because its developer appears to have completely abandonned it, the sort of neglect for which, considering the price range of the instrument, I believe the words ‘criminal’ and ‘unforgivable’ were invented. The keyboard itself remains very good though, which is half a consolation.

All things considered however, Pianoteq is the much more satisfying and sensible solution (and that difference will only increase): every bit as musical, much more versatile and with much more of a future of creative, passionate and fully committed development. Talking about which: it would be great, yes, if Pianoteq would one day expand its core set of piano algorithms so as to be able to build a model that packs the big punch and the immediacy of impact that the V-Piano is capable of. That would be the final nail in the Roland piano’s coffin.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (25-06-2015 16:27)

Dunno, Piet. In that example of yours Pianoteq sounds better to me in each and every excerpt.

Hard work and guts!

Well, me, I wouldn’t perhaps go as far as to say “in each and every” excerpt — it also depends on what sort of pianosound you favour of course — but I certainly agree that the V-Piano isn’t the sovereignly better sounding instrument here.
And I also have to add that, in the above examples, I tried to stay away from the V-Piano’s weakest range which, for the Vintage1 preset, is the mid/high-mid area. (The Vintage 2, not heard here, sounds at its weakest an octave or two lower.)

The V-Piano is however capable of something which is still rather difficult to create with Pianoteq, and that’s a very dry, punchy, snappy, in-your-face immediacy (the sort of timbre which I associate with players like Corea, Brubeck and Duke). That type of thing comes very easy to the V-Piano and, to my ears, still finds Pianoteq a bit struggling. And I think an unbiased ear would also have to agree that the bottom octaves of the V-Piano are very well done: big, noble, majestic. (And can be edited to sound much more resonant then they do in this example, which uses the default preset settings.)

But yeah, there was a time when I considered the V-Piano superior — after all, $5000 buys you a lot of self-delusion — but those days are long gone. It still is a great instrument to just play away on, and occasionally it even manages to end up in mix, but strictly timbrally speaking, I've got more than a handful of alternatives, Pianoteq included, which I much prefer.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (27-06-2015 08:22)

An outstanding comparison Piet! Very close sounding. I would give V-piano an edge only in example 3 and 4. V-piano's bass may sound at first more punchy, but to me it is much less complex than pianoteq's. It's mostly heavy fundamental, very little longitudinal mode that pianoteq's D4 shines at (for me). Maybe it's a matter of taste though.

Example 2 has more reverb in the V-piano but I still favor pianoteq. Two interesting modeling approaches indeed, but I feel pianoteq is more tweakable than the V (though I don't own one...)

Do you happen to know the processing power inside the V? One interesting thing to me is how astute the programming is to obtain those real-time results. I think I read once that the V has multiple separate cpus, so in this way, less optimized programming is possible (or with less shortcuts maybe). This may be also the reason for not pursuing the development if there is reliance on specialized hardware (signal processing chips?).

Of course Roland does not seem to publish these specs but as an owner you may have some inside knowledge.

Hi Giles,

I don’t have any info about the processing power behind the V-Piano either, I'm afraid. Had a quick look I the manual, but that doesn’t seem to share any such info.

About that bass, like I said, it’s possible to increase its apparent ‘complexity’ by adjusting a few parameters (a.o. resonance) or, if you wanna go all the way, by choosing the ‘silver strings’ AND raising the resonance, which results in a pretty powerful and assertive nether region of a grand piano. Here’s an example

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (27-06-2015 08:32)

Hint: Layering multiple instances of Pianoteq opens up an endless universe of possibilities.

Piet De Ridder wrote:

The V-Piano is however capable of something which is still rather difficult to create with Pianoteq, and that’s a very dry, punchy, snappy, in-your-face immediacy (the sort of timbre which I associate with players like Corea, Brubeck and Duke). That type of thing comes very easy to the V-Piano and, to my ears, still finds Pianoteq a bit struggling. And I think an unbiased ear would also have to agree that the bottom octaves of the V-Piano are very well done: big, noble, majestic. (And can be edited to sound much more resonant then they do in this example, which uses the default preset settings.)
_

Very well said. PTQ has improved hugely over the last years when V-piano has sadly left to its original state. This is a big shame from Roland which did a great job to introduce the first completely modelled hardware piano and they are still selling it. So IMO PTQ has gotten closer to those Corea (etc.) -like sounds which has been difficult to its model since very beginning. I remember well the debate about Corea-like piano sound on this forum on 2009 and I believe Modartt has really been trying to nail this kind of piano sound as well. There's still much to improve and I believe that qualities like "a very dry, punchy, snappy, in-your-face immediacy" and "majestic bottom", like Piet nicely put, make the main difference and these are qualities that so many new PTQ users find lacking.

I was fortunate to play and listen to V-piano quite resently. Last time was perhaps around 2009 or so. To my ears it sounds powerful but same time somehow "plastic". Somebody might call it synthetic. I might also call it "rolandish" cause this plastic quality is there in all Rolland's pianos. I don't know what they do to process the sound even, but maybe this process takes out some natural woodiness or whatever.

If PTQ can someday finally nail this Corea-sound, I think then it's "there". Then you have all the variety to choose from: from distant, soft, mellow sounds to crystal clear, punchy, powerful close miced sounds and everything between...

It may be logic to supose that Roland hadn't a faithfull return, or a good return, of the investment they did in V-Piano, from technology development of modeling, desing and manufature of the phisical product etc...

Perhaps the consumers did not got impressed enough with the product's new technology, to pay for the higher price.

Well, that's how the market is.. if a new idea, new aprouch, product,don't get money, they put it by side.

Pianoteq depends of market return, but also have a deep pashion of his creator (also owner of the company), and flexibility of a very and easilly upgradable product.  That's why pianoteq keeping going as number 1 modelled piano.

To me it's amazing that they in fact developed it further but only hardware: Roland introduced V-Piano Grand on 2011. With this very high price 18555€ you would expect to get something exciting in model too. But no, it's running same old model. When original V-piano came out I was VERY close to get money from somewhere to buy it. But this was with an idea to get a developing modeled piano - something like PTQ. In fact a guy from Roland Finland which was on a V-piano tour (presenting a new instrument) said something that this was a prototype which will get new models and updates.  But years passed and I saw that new models never came out and I am happy I did not put my money to it.

Last edited by Ecaroh (30-06-2015 18:08)

Beto-Music wrote:

It may be logic to supose that Roland hadn't a faithfull return, or a good return, of the investment they did in V-Piano (...).

I would have thought it to be far more logical — and, eventually, pecuniary rewarding as well — to simply keep working on the thing and try to improve it at whatever rate they consider economically justifiable. After all, most of the (hard) work has been done already, and it’s not as if the V-Piano, as a modeled recreation of a grand piano, is all that wide off the mark. It’s actually a pretty amazing achievement, save for a few disappointing areas in both of its core models and, like Ecaroh said, indeed an overal hint of Roland-esque plasticness in its timbre. Nothing, I think, that a few more years of focused and loving work couldn’t solve (or at least bring down to a much more acceptable level).

If I were on the team that developed the V-Piano, I’d be terribly frustrated at not being allowed to complete my work.

Then again, I don’t understand the first thing about economics and big businesses, so maybe Roland made the right decision anyway in abandoning the V-Piano. Shame though.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (01-07-2015 10:58)

Piete, have you ever tried toplay the V-Piano Grand?

No, I haven't.

Last time I got half-interested in a new instrument (to replace the V-Piano) was with the Yamaha NU1, but after playing it for a while, that interest quickly waned. I'm going to stick with the V and use it mostly, as I have been doing, as (very good) keyboard to trigger Pianoteq or sample libraries with.

_

As a (very expensive) keyboard to play Pianoteq with. Might as well chuck it and go for VPC-1 or the like. I must say I personally disliked V-Pianos action, and especially the so-called ivory feel keys. That felt totally weird to my fingertips.

Last edited by EvilDragon (01-07-2015 20:35)
Hard work and guts!

What about Viscount's the Physis piano?

Piet De Ridder wrote:

No, I haven't.

Last time I got half-interested in a new instrument (to replace the V-Piano) was with the Yamaha NU1, but after playing it for a while, that interest quickly waned. I'm going to stick with the V and use it mostly, as I have been doing, as (very good) keyboard to trigger Pianoteq or sample libraries with.

_

--------

Probably because you are used with old, very aged, ivory Keys from a old pright.

EvilDragon wrote:

As a (very expensive) keyboard to play Pianoteq with. Might as well chuck it and go for VPC-1 or the like. I must say I personally disliked V-Pianos action, and especially the so-called ivory feel keys. That felt totally weird to my fingertips.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-07-2015 23:16)

Piet De Ridder wrote:

_

I tested too NU1 and similarly I wasn't impressed. I felt this action was lacking full velocity range: it went to near ff but somewhere there it could not give those higher velocities. We must also know that NU1 has upright action while most of us want more grand-like action. I went to buy Kawai CS-7 instead.

If I had money and space in my living room, I'd probably get Yamaha Avantgrand N3 instead of V-piano Grand. In general after V-pianos release (2007?) those hybrid solutions - sample engine but having all kinds of customizing stuff like resonances, touch, voicing, tunings etc. - have improved hugely and in my opinion these are better solutions than V-piano for example.

With my Kawai CS-7 in my practise room I sometimes play with PTQ but more often I use its own piano engine. I cannot say which is better - they are just different - but for practising I prefer Kawai. Playing feeling and response is more close to my idea of playing real grand..

Beto-Music wrote:

Probably because you are bsed with old, very aged, ivory Keys from a old upright.

Err, keys on my upright were all spruced up and are up to the modern standards. Besides, it's not like I didn't play any other pianos - I know how the keys feel on them... It's just that the texture of V-Piano keys didn't appeal to me. That's all.

Hard work and guts!

delt wrote:

Hint: Layering multiple instances of Pianoteq opens up an endless universe of possibilities.

Really, it does. Lately i've been futzing around a bit with layering & panning different instances of pianoteq... Now i'm running the stand-alone (just one instance) and to my ears it just sounds kind of.... dunno, like almost mono.

I mentioned this a few times before, but i'll mention it again: the stereo field - especially in the lower and lower-mid range - is something Modartt needs to work on in Pianoteq. Actually i think this is the only aspect in which some sampled pianos (both hard/firmware and software) even beat pianoteq.

* Or, include some good miking presets along with the program - i've tried everything i could think of, still can't nail it!!

Hi everyone

Conserning topic fxp-Roland V-piano. - Every now and then, people are comparing Ptq with a real Grand piano or sampled pianos, and trying to get Ptq sound like them. I think that is a good thing, interesting, exciting. Last year it was Joe Hisaishi ”Friends” on Grand piano( very well done tweaking by forumreaders to imitate the same reverb and sound in that youtubevideo). Now Roland sampled sounds, and waiting for, when one can not say if it is Ptq or Roland. I think someone out there can do it. The learning curve, in how to get the best sounds from Pianoteq is, however, never-ending, (among other things its about personal taste). Been playing for 60 years, I still look at myself as an amateur/pianoteqenthusiast, but I have got some experience about sampled sounds, (have had 6 different Rolands, one Korg) and do not like them anymore. Ptq give possibilities – ptq is the future, already here. But, I think there could  be almost as many opinions as there are members in this forum, about imitating other sounds with Ptq. And, coming to the first topic, fxp request in this thread  - it could be nice if those people who imitated Hisaishis ”Friends” so well, or someone else skilful, try to imitate Roland V-piano. Ptq make improvements all the time. Just to show how close Ptq can come. For people that are good at tweaking Ptq, almost anything is possible. So, go on striving!  (By the way, after months of striving with Hisaishis ”Friends” with my Ptq Standard Bluthner, I finally somewhat learned that piece, some notes missing though.....) Thanks to Modartt and Pianoteq, I am now a better amateur than I used to be.

Kind regards

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Hi everyone

Conserning topic fxp-Roland V-piano. - Every now and then, people are comparing Ptq with a real Grand piano or sampled pianos, and trying to get Ptq sound like them. I think that is a good thing, interesting, exciting. Last year it was Joe Hisaishi ”Friends” on Grand piano( very well done tweaking by forumreaders to imitate the same reverb and sound in that youtubevideo). Now Roland sampled sounds, and waiting for, when one can not say if it is Ptq or Roland. I think someone out there can do it. The learning curve, in how to get the best sounds from Pianoteq is, however, never-ending, (among other things its about personal taste). Been playing for 60 years, I still look at myself as an amateur/pianoteqenthusiast, but I have got some experience about sampled sounds, (have had 6 different Rolands, one Korg) and do not like them anymore. Ptq give possibilities – ptq is the future, already here. But, I think there could  be almost as many opinions as there are members in this forum, about imitating other sounds with Ptq. And, coming to the first topic, fxp request in this thread  - it could be nice if those people who imitated Hisaishis ”Friends” so well, or someone else skilful, try to imitate Roland V-piano. Ptq make improvements all the time. Just to show how close Ptq can come. For people that are good at tweaking Ptq, almost anything is possible. So, go on striving!  (By the way, after months of striving with Hisaishis ”Friends” with my Ptq Standard Bluthner, I finally somewhat learned that piece, some notes missing though.....) Thanks to Modartt and Pianoteq, I am now a better amateur than I used to be.

Kind regards

Yes, I think some of the members here can do that that's why I put a $50 bounty, maybe that's just not enough. So far only Joe posted some configurations, but that's not quite it, though I am thankful for his time.

Naturally I don't have 6000$ for new v-piano, that's why I bought pianoteq. After using it for a while I can hear that high tones are too dry and low ones aren't that much deep - however I found some FXP that when you play soft on low registers the sound is really good, deep, but when you hit your keys harder that deep goes away and you're left with bright metallic tone (bass is gone). I bought also U4 uprights and they have also really dry tones.

I hope Modartt won't stop developing pianoteq, because they are really close, but there are still some "issues" that should be addressed ( I know it isn't as easy as fixing some bugs in a software ).

delt wrote:

How can I do that? When I open second instance of Pianoteq it doesn't receive MIDI signals from my keyboard, just the first one.

Last edited by PrettyGoodPianoPlayer (16-07-2015 17:19)

How can I do that? When I open second instance of Pianoteq it doesn't receive MIDI signals from my keyboard, just the first one.

We can use a DAW (Reaper or others) with two tracks associated to a dedicated instance of Pianoteq and receiving events from the same MIDI device.

Last edited by floyer (16-07-2015 17:38)

delt wrote:

I use Renoise. It runs on linux, mac/osx, and yeah on w**dows too. The demo version has a few limitations, but nothing that can hinder layering multiple VST's in one session. You can then save the project and when you open it, you don't need to re-configure all your instances of pianoteq again, that gets saved in the project file. If you have multiple keyboards, you can route and assign midi signals to whatever instruments/tracks you want, that's useful for say, organ and harpsichord where each keyboard plays a different role and triggers different instances/instruments. Once you've setup everything the way you want, you just save your project, and when you load it again everything works the way it did when you saved it.

Personally i find you get an excellent stereo field when puting one instance around 75% left with the "duophonic" mic setup, and one instance around 75% right with the AB or BA mic setup. then you can play with different instruments and parameters in each, for ex. different settings for the reverb sound excellent. Just make sure you use the same tuning settings in both instances if you don't want a slight "honky tonk" chorus effect