Topic: PtqSpecProf - a Java tool for generating Spectrum Profile Note Edit

Using the very powerful note edit facility to modify the spectrum profile of a preset is difficult by ear only, so I set out to write a Java program to do FFT analysis of a source (pianoteq) and target (any) instrument to automatically generate the spectrum profile text string that can be directly pasted in the panel.

With this software, it takes less than 15 minutes to completely redefine the tone color of all the notes, by analyzing two .wav files created using a provided midi chromatic scale.

This software is for the Pro version users only but the results should be heard with the standard version as well.

Here are four fxp examples created using the software, two Steinways and two Bösendorfers:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...127%29.fxp

Only the spectrum profile and string length have been changed as compared to the stock preset.

This program cannot change the global behaviour of pianoteq of course, it just alters the tone color so as to bring it closer to another instrument. The effect is most obvious in the lower register where more harmonics are present.

Please read first the short PDF documentation available here :
https://sites.google.com/site/ptqspecprof/software
along with the .jar executable and examples.

I cannot guarantee it will run on all systems, but it does under Windows XP and 7. It requires the latest version of the Java runtime (JRE6).

I will be happy to get any feedback, good or bad, as well as trying out posted fxp files created with this software!

Re: PtqSpecProf - a Java tool for generating Spectrum Profile Note Edit

You've been busy. Very impressive. I like the way each note has a unique character. Looking at the specrum profile, there's often little correllation between one note and the next, and yet it sounds natural. Interesting. I'll get round to trying the software at some point.

Hi Gilles,

thanks a lot for creating and sharing this with us! Sounds like an amazing idea to me!

I immediately downloaded it and tried it out.

Basically, it works (test patch, single note comparison).
However, when I try to load the wav files generated from your MIDI file (using Cubase and yes, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz), I get the following error message:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at dsp.SignalGenerator.createWaveForm(SignalGenerator.java:365)

at dsp.SignalGenerator.choisirFichier(SignalGenerator.java:401)

at dsp.SignalGenerator.generate(SignalGenerator.java:176)

at dsp.Analyser.getSignal(Analyser.java:571)

at dsp.Analyser.plotSignal(Analyser.java:617)

at dsp.Analyser.btnPlot_actionPerformed(Analyser.java:714)

at dsp.Analyser_btnPlot_actionAdapter.actionPerformed(Analyser.java:1196)

at java.awt.Button.processActionEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Button.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

As it seems to be an "out of memory" error I tried to load a shorter wave file (ca. 10 sec) using the same settings in the software and that worked!

I'd really love to use this tool so do you have any clue what might be wrong?

Merci bien

Regards,
Wolfgang

wolfgang wrote:

As it seems to be an "out of memory" error I tried to load a shorter wave file (ca. 10 sec) using the same settings in the software and that worked!

I'd really love to use this tool so do you have any clue what might be wrong?

Merci bien

Regards,
Wolfgang

Hmm, it looks like a real out of memory error that I never encountered on my setup (AMD dual core, 2 gigabytes memory) even when running under eclipse.

Both wav files are read entirely once for efficiency reasons and on my machine memory usage goes from 550 MB to around 750 MB when I read the files (more than a single buffer may be involved). Maybe you run out of heap space because you have less real memory or other system or Java constraints. It never occured to me to catch that exception though...

On the other hand the complete wav files are both over 2 minutes long so if you are really limited to 10 seconds, this is a bit surprising to me and makes the Extract method unworkable for you. Maybe other programs are using a lot of memory at the same time, large sample libraries for example.

What is your setup?

Beautiful EWBosendorfer! Thank you Gilles!

Last edited by sigasa (16-09-2010 09:52)

Hi Gilles,

I don't think that I have an actual out of memory problem as I use a Intel Duo Core 2.8 GHz with 4 GB of RAM (of which only 3 can be used by 32 bit XP, of course). I watched the memory consumption of the java application in the task manager and it only rose from 20 MB to 60 MB when I started loading the WAV file and then it got stuck.

So I assumed it was some weird internal software fault...who knows...and then thought it might be a good idea to try it on my Ubuntu 9.4 (same laptop!)...and voilà, it works straight away!

It's quite a bit more effort as I will have to paste all the spectrum profile settings into a text file first and then switch to XP to get them into Pianoteq, but at least it works.
(Guess I will have to newly set up my XP once in while )

At least this proved that your app does run on Ubuntu! (looking back, there's always a good side to bad things, isn't there...? )

Thanks for your help!

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Great to hear that it works well under Ubuntu!!!

There seems to be ways of going around this heap space problem with a command line argument. See here for example:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5347474_set-jav...space.html
http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/5578
http://blog.paulgu.com/2008/07/19/6-com...heap-size/

Maybe your runtime somehow has a low value by default...

Last edited by Gilles (16-09-2010 12:55)

Hi Gilles,

thanks for the links. I tried the following (in different versions) and always got the same error:

E:\Projects\SoundEditing>java --Xmx128m -jar PtqSpectProf.jar

Unrecognized option: --Xmx128m

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Do I have to start the java app in a different way when using these -Xmx options?

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Unfortunately there is an error I didn't see in the first reference I gave you sorry!  Only one dash is needed.

But, the following command : java -Xmx128m -jar PtqSpecProf.jar

gives me the OutOfMemoryError when reading the target file.

You need at least 200MB so typing:

java -Xmx256m -jar PtqSpecProf.jar

should work correctly for you as it does for me.

You can try higher values if needed.

I'll update the documentation to mention this. Thanks for pointing out the problem by the way...

Gilles

Hi Gilles,

yes, that way it works!

Actually, quite stupid of me that I didn't notice the double dash thing...
Especially as I wrote it correctly in the text of my last post...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your support!

Wolfgang

Gilles,

Can you please post a fxp for the K1 Player preset? I like the one posted right now, but I really prefer a cleaner version, without the heavy reverb. Thanks a lot in advance!

Kengrayfield wrote:

Gilles,

Can you please post a fxp for the K1 Player preset? I like the one posted right now, but I really prefer a cleaner version, without the heavy reverb. Thanks a lot in advance!

If you just load K1 Solo Recording (EWBosendorfer275-127).fxp, then freeze Spectrum Profile and String length, and finally load K1 Close Mic, I think you will get the sound you want.

I wouldn't use K1 Player here, it introduces too much artificial coloring in my opinion.

Of course I could redo the analysis starting from K1 Player but I don't think it would give better results.

Last edited by Gilles (20-09-2010 18:58)

wolfgang wrote:

[...] with 4 GB of RAM (of which only 3 can be used by 32 bit XP, of course)

Err ... please read this! (In German):
http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/3...perre.html

I know that assertion, 32 Bit could use untill 4 GB only. But Microsoft installed willfully this limit in all 32-Bit systems excepted Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition.
I use this patch properly an now Windows uses all my installed 4 GB of RAM. Just my mainboard is limited with 2 slots of max 2 GB per slot.

Hartmut wrote:

Err ... please read this! (In German):
http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/3...perre.html

I know that assertion, 32 Bit could use untill 4 GB only. But Microsoft installed willfully this limit in all 32-Bit systems excepted Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition.
I use this patch properly an now Windows uses all my installed 4 GB of RAM. Just my mainboard is limited with 2 slots of max 2 GB per slot.

Wow, I didn't know that!

However, I always thought that 32-bit systems can't use more than 4 GB because it is not possible to address more memory using 32-bit long addresses.

2^32 is roughly 4 *10^9 (should be the number of bytes that can be addressed using 32-bit addresses)

Divided by 1024 two times it gives me 4096 MB of RAM that can be accessed.

At least, this is my understanding of how these things work; someone with more detailed knowledge may correct me, please

So I actually don't see how it should work with more than 4 GB?

Anyway, having full access to the 4 GB would already be a GREAT thing, anyway!

Thanks for sharing the link, Hartmut!

Hi Wolfgang,

I knew this theory but the trick must be that "physical address extension" wich tricks out the mathematics.
And you see in the link, they tried it even with 8 GB of RAM. So also Microsoft itself offers up tp 64 GB of RAM in Server 2003 Datacenter Edition 32 Bit, see there the links to microsoft.com!

But I actually use an Intel Core2Quad on a two-slot-mainboard. And I know other socket-775-mainboards with up to 4 RAM-slots but not more, so I could realize max 8 GB of RAM with my CPU.

Just now I found the answer:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

But I'm not sure what it means, anyway a single task can use 4 GB only, and if Pianoteq is a single task for the CPU or not. If yes, Pianoteq really would need a 64-Bit-Windows to use more than 4 GB per program instance.

Thanks Hartmut, very interesting. Seems like they use a trick to generate 36 bit instead of 32 bit addresses...

Anyway, what I'd be interested in...from your personal experience with the patch...
Did you ever have any stability or other issues after you after using this patch to modify the kernel?

Regarding Pianoteq, I'm not sure (i.e. I never actually watched it), but I don't think that it currently comes anywhere close to using 4 GB of RAM...

Regards from your favourite southern neighbouring country
Wolfgang

Last edited by wolfgang (21-09-2010 23:16)

Wolfgang, there are no specail experiances I could talk about. No crashes, no probs, no nothing untill now. And even I deactivated the Windows-pagefile after I installed the patch. I installed it 2 day ago and have Windows 7 professional. If you are afraid, you could e.g. do a partition image of the Windows-partition before, with Acronis TrueImage e.g. The patch does no other changes than to create a copy of the kernel-exe und a boot entry for this.

Related to Pianoteq's RAM-Usage I thought about the Pro-version and it's higher possible sampling rate and bit-depth (up to 192 kHz/ 32 Bit). And of course of the using of big sample engines such as sacral organ or others on the same system.

Greets to "Lower Bavaria" from the Federal Piefke Republic! (In your other neighbour Switzerland also well known as "The Big Kanton)

I would like to remind everybody interested that one goal of making this software available is to favor exchange of fxp files made using the various sample libraries that people own. I, for one, own only a few, rather out of date, and would be eager to hear what comes out of using Ivory for instance as a target instrument. Not only Steinways, but also Fazioli and other great instruments would be fun to test.

A general guide for best results:

Start with a source preset most similar to the target.

If at all possible on the target sample, use no reverb, mono and close as possible, something easily done with pianoteq but not so frequent elsewhere. The analysis is done in mono and reducing stereo waveforms to mono sometimes introduces phase cancellation which may be damaging to the result. Of course you will not be stuck to mono no reverb... If the source and target sounds are in a similar acoustic space, it will work fine.

Since the mic placement in pianoteq changes the timbre a lot, do not expect results to be portable to all other presets but it works most of the time (see my post above).

Gilles, so far I haven't been able to run the app on Apple computers...
Is there any specific library needed to run it???

creart wrote:

Gilles, so far I haven't been able to run the app on Apple computers...
Is there any specific library needed to run it???

Yes, unfortunately I think Apple uses an outdated java runtime (tried their latest on an iMac and it didn't work either)

Sorry about that but you must complain to Mr. Jobs...

EDIT: I'm not a java expert (this is my first java program) but I will try to see if there is a workaround to this version problem on the Mac. If somebody knows how, of course please post the solution here.

Last edited by Gilles (22-09-2010 14:14)

I'll talk to Steve about it next time I see him... (might take quite some time though )
this is the otuput of the console on my mac - don't know if that means anything to you?

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:54)

Gilles wrote:

... and would be eager to hear what comes out of using Ivory for instance as a target instrument. Not only Steinways, but also Fazioli and other great instruments would be fun to test.

Yes, that would be really great!

Unfortunately, having decided some years ago that physical modelling is the future, I've never owned a decent piano sample library...

And Hartmut, thanks for your comments

Last edited by wolfgang (22-09-2010 20:30)

creart wrote:

I'll talk to Steve about it next time I see him... (might take quite some time though )
this is the otuput of the console on my mac - don't know if that means anything to you?

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:54)

Yes, this is the same message I get when trying to run on a friend's iMac under OSX 10.4 which has an up to date (according to Apple) 1.5 runtime.

Searching the net, I found no workaround to the version problem, but it seems Apple has for a long time been behind in Java versions and people have been complaining for quite a while.

Apple offers an 1.6 version only on 64 bit machines, running OSX 10.5 or "Snow Leopard". All other platforms can freely download the latest runtime from the Sun/Oracle download site, but Mac owners can't !

Gilles wrote:

Yes, this is the same message I get when trying to run on a friend's iMac under OSX 10.4 which has an up to date (according to Apple) 1.5 runtime.

Searching the net, I found no workaround to the version problem, but it seems Apple has for a long time been behind in Java versions and people have been complaining for quite a while.

Apple offers an 1.6 version only on 64 bit machines, running OSX 10.5 or "Snow Leopard". All other platforms can freely download the latest runtime from the Sun/Oracle download site, but Mac owners can't !

Ok, well I'll see if I can run your jar-file on my MacBookPro running Windows under Parallels... just too bad I can't run it on my 'normal music machine'
thax anyway!

Last edited by creart (23-09-2010 14:34)

Oops...I just noticed a typo in the name of the java executable that is on the download site. It is named PtqSpectProf. jar instead of PtqSpecProf.jar. Extra t for typo I guess...never saw it till now.

Just corrected it. I hope it didn't stop anybody from trying it out!

One thing I could add also is the fact that pianoteq's reverb sometimes introduces or emphasizes bizarre out-of-tune effects especially in the middle range for fxp files produced with this software. This may be due to the fact that target pianos are not exactly tuned like pianoteq and the included reverb resonance seems to clash with some notes.

A workaround could be using another reverb or retuning the affected notes.

Since I ran out of piano samples to try with my software, I turned to the grand piano preset of my 10 years old Yamaha P-80 keyboard which is very good in the middle and bottom range, but of course lacks in the high register due to memory limitations of the time (short loops).

This preset must be an undisclosed Yamaha grand of course and the emulation works quite well with K1 close mic as a source piano.

I uploaded the fxp produced with PtqSpecProf in the files section :

I included two short demos, one of a fine e-piano midi file of Prokofiev's 7th sonata (the beginning) and a well known blues (the ending section).
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...ofiev7.mp3
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...drjohn.mp3

I also tried to produce an Apple version of my software starting from a two year old archived eclipse version supporting java 1.5 under MacOSX 1.4 but I ran into a bizarre display bug that I couldn't fix. Too bad, 99.9% of the software worked correctly at first try!

Apple's recent announcement that they would "deprecate" java in the future also got me to stop trying...It may be good news if Sun/Oracle produces an up to date version for the Mac, but I wouldn't count on it.

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for ... I'm trying to get a very specific tone out of Pianoteq and going by ear is very difficult ... but this program should be able to do it for me if I can get it to work!

I'm on Mac OS 10.7.4 and the .jar launches fine ... when I "Read" the Pianoteq .wav I bounced, it shows up in the window just fine, but when I then tell it to read my "target" file, it seems to be stuck with a blue spinning wheel (for at least ten minutes now).  I'll try analyzing single notes to see if that works.  Has anyone been able to get this to work on Mac OS?

Edit:  I've gotten single note analyzation to work, I'll be able to do all 88 manually

Thanks so much for this program!

Last edited by truelight (27-07-2012 20:14)

truelight wrote:

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for ... I'm trying to get a very specific tone out of Pianoteq and going by ear is very difficult ... but this program should be able to do it for me if I can get it to work!

I'm on Mac OS 10.7.4 and the .jar launches fine ... when I "Read" the Pianoteq .wav I bounced, it shows up in the window just fine, but when I then tell it to read my "target" file, it seems to be stuck with a blue spinning wheel (for at least ten minutes now).  I'll try analyzing single notes to see if that works.  Has anyone been able to get this to work on Mac OS?

Edit:  I've gotten single note analyzation to work, I'll be able to do all 88 manually

Thanks so much for this program!

Glad to see my software is not dead...Like you must have read, I had previously not been able to make it work on Macs because of the Java engine being out of date. On my Win XP machine loading the target file is quite fast so it must be a Java problem again. Did you increase the stack memory as suggested? Both source and target files are loaded in memory for fast access.

Doing it note by note requires great patience, I can assure you. One suggestion, do not hesitate to use the rescale function after pasting a note edit. The "correction" is sometimes exagerated but goes in the right direction. Also do not expect miracles for the middle octave, the model is very hard to modify in this area if the distance between the source and target is large.

Good luck and do not hesitate to post questions (and resulting fxp of course), I'll be glad to answer them.

I went ahead and did all the notes one by one I didn't see a way to change the Java memory on Mac OS, I didn't want to spend too much time trying to google it.  It would've taken me two days to get Pianoteq this close by ear!  I hear what you mean about the middle range and the exaggeration, I'm now going through each note and making adjustments as there's a few out of place harmonics in each note.  Thank you so much, this really made my life easier!

I'm very particular about overtones in pianos, I literally resampled one of Ivory's pianos into Kontakt ... EQ'ing each note to get the balance between harmonics exactly how I want them (very painstaking work :-P) ... I'm using those tweaked samples as the target to Pianoteq's tone right.  You really saved me so much time with this program

Is it possible to output fxp directly? Pro version is too expensive, but standard can load its fxp without losses.

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

A very interesting tool you have created. To come up with such a thing - Tuner Entropy in the file saves data not only about the partial height (up to 50 in the bass notes), but also about their relative volume. Though the volume of the partial very mobile concept, yet the program has some mechanism to maintain this setting. Let us assume that there is a file created with a living instrument and file created the acoustics of the program through Pianoteq. If any application has made a difference in the composition of partial compensation, and generated a range of settings in Pianoteq. Does that make sense? Or good enough acoustics for Pianoteq and then nothing is compensated?

Last edited by scherbakov.al (09-02-2016 12:07)

scherbakov.al wrote:

A very interesting tool you have created. To come up with such a thing - Tuner Entropy in the file saves data not only about the partial height (up to 50 in the bass notes), but also about their relative volume. Though the volume of the partial very mobile concept, yet the program has some mechanism to maintain this setting. Let us assume that there is a file created with a living instrument and file created the acoustics of the program through Pianoteq. If any application has made a difference in the composition of partial compensation, and generated a range of settings in Pianoteq. Does that make sense? Or good enough acoustics for Pianoteq and then nothing is compensated?

Not sure I fully understand your question, but here is a partial answer: the relative amplitude of partials varies continuously when the pianoteq engine outputs sound according to the myriad parameters of what is played. What I do is, for a fixed velocity of source and target instrument, calculate the amplitude difference for each partial, thus modifying the default values in the spectrum note edit. These are of course made continuously variable in the rendering, but the correction seems to work at other velocities than the ones used. Of course, it's an approximation, but there is only one possible value to be entered for each partial. The very useful note edit rescale tool can be used to fine tune the modification that is sometimes exagerated.

By the way, the pianoteq model is getting so good now that I really don't feel the need for this software anymore...

Last edited by Gilles (09-02-2016 16:16)

Wow, this is exactly what I´ve been looking for. Unfortunately, the site is unavailable and was most likely taken down years ago. Does anyone know of a modern alternative? Thanks in advance.

nnyrad wrote:

Wow, this is exactly what I´ve been looking for. Unfortunately, the site is unavailable and was most likely taken down years ago. Does anyone know of a modern alternative? Thanks in advance.

It's still available. I used it not very long ago in collaboration with user teacue.

See this post: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...75#p972275

Google deprecated the old site but kept the files on Google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/...ehYey6tvXM

They should be publicly downloadable.

Gilles wrote:
nnyrad wrote:

It's still available. I used it not very long ago in collaboration with user teacue.

See this post: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...75#p972275

Google deprecated the old site but kept the files on Google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/...ehYey6tvXM

They should be publicly downloadable.

Thank you so much for the quick response and the links. I´ve just loaded it up and it looks incredible. I am so excited to try this out, I´m like Charlie just as he´s entering the chocolate factory.

UPDATE:

Fantastic work - what a useful tool - I can´t believe how well my first attempt has turned out: the results are faster and SO much better than trying to eyeball a frequency analyser and type in the results by hand. Thank you once again, I will certainly be sharing these fxps with the community in the coming weeks!

Last edited by nnyrad (17-03-2021 22:03)