Topic: Raspberry-Pianoteq-Stage-Demo Image for download

Hi all,

I created a bootable image with Pianoteq-Stage-Demo for the Raspberry Pi (3, 2 may work also). You need:

- Raspberry Pi (3)
- SD card (2 GB or bigger)
- Audio card (default is Hifiberry DAC+, can be changed when logging in via ssh) (or USB audio - not tested but should work)
- (external) Screen/Monitor (I am using a Waveshare HDMI 10.1" with touch)
- Mouse (if you don't use a touch display)
- USB-MIDI keyboard
- Speaker

The image is a first test version and is available until January, 29th 2018 at [not available anymore - see next posts for a newer link]

If you want to use another (non-USB) audio card, you have to login via ssh (User: root, Password: raspberry) and change /etc/config.txt accordingly.

I have tested everything and it works for my setup  - hopefully also for yours. Have fun!

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (30-01-2018 08:15)

Re: Raspberry-Pianoteq-Stage-Demo Image for download

This may sound trivial, but could you post a photo or three of the hardware you've put together to run this--just to show us the size of the box, assuming you've put it in a case, and how it all fits together.

Hi Jake,

of course - here are some pictures (maybe I have time to make a small video at next weekend):

http://www.parasitstudio.de/Raspi-Piano..._Kawai.jpg
Complete system running. As MIDI keyboard I am using my Kawai-MP5 (which sounds also as great as Pianoteq :-) ).

http://www.parasitstudio.de/Raspi-Piano...s_Case.jpg
You need an RPi(3) and a soundcard. I am using a Hifiberry DAC+ (I added a 40pin header for using this hardware also in Zynthian). There are several sound cards which can also be used instead of the Hifiberry. For Zynthian (http://zynthian.org) we have used the following cards until now:

HifiBerry DAC+
HifiBerry DAC+ light
HifiBerry Digi
HifiBerry Amp
AudioInjector
IQAudio DAC
IQAudio DAC+
IQAudio Digi
PiSound
JustBoom DAC
JustBoom Digi

http://www.parasitstudio.de/Raspi-Piano..._Touch.jpg
You can use a HDMI display (this one: Waveshare 10.1" capacitive touch display) or use a "normal" monitor and a mouse. Waveshare has also smaller displays (e.g. 7"). If you plan to build a Pianoteq-Piano (I think I will do this) you should use a capacitive display - they are more precise than the resistance ones. 7" should also work. The touch is connected via USB and the Rapsi thinks it is a mouse.

Currently the screen dimensions are (maybe) locked at 1280x800 but this can also be changed. If there are some Pinoteq users interested in, I can try to add a setup sequence for selecting the soundcard and setting the screen size. Let's see :-)

There is also the possibility to add DIN-MIDI-Input with not much hardware. Also a integration into Zynthian as seperate engine may be possible... we will see...

I will try to get a Fatar keyboard and some electronic to put everything into a selfmade wooden case as piano - sometimes :-)

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (15-01-2018 20:01)

Thanks for sharing this, looks like a great project.  Also, love the butterfly tablecloth, nice touch...

Yes, thanks for sharing the file and the photos. So it seems that we now have a portable Pianoteq.

tradivoro wrote:

Thanks for sharing this, looks like a great project.  Also, love the butterfly tablecloth, nice touch...

Haha :-) Yep - but my favorite is the one with the zebras :->

The image should also work with a "licensed" version, if you are familiar with ssh/putty  (I havn't tested yet, have to buy one soon):

1. Go to Pianoteq and download the licensed version.
2. Unpack it and change to the ARM folder.
3. Replace the binary on the bootet Pianoteq-Raspi inside the folder /root/Pianoteq. The current binary is called Pianoteq 6 STAGE (with blanks in the name) and the licensed one has to be called the same (even it is another version). Should be work with

scp "Pianoteq 6 STAGE" "root@teq.local:/root/Pianoteq/Pianoteq 6 STAGE"

(Password: raspberry)

(Perhaps you want to make a copy of the previous DEMO binary before?)
4. After restarting/booting the licensed binary should be started and you have to use the normal way for adding your license number.

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (16-01-2018 08:29)

Thanks very much for providing this, Holger. Excellent work!

The config file is of course /boot/config.txt (not /etc/config.txt as above).
I wanted the option to output digital audio over HDMI, so I added the following back into config.txt.

# Enable onboard audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

This means that an audio card or RPi DAC is no longer an essential requirement, if you handle the digital audio externally. It's also well worth mentioning the image hostname is teq for easy ssh login.

$ ssh root@teq

Perhaps you should also lower the default volume a little? It was too loud for me when I plugged in my headphones.

Is this running on the Raspbian Lite (Jessie) distro?  I couldn't see any way of setting up wifi. VNC functionality would be nice to have too. Finally, are you using a standard kernel or a low latency one?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/pap0bcbeesqin6f/IMG_0324-reduced.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by grazie (23-01-2018 13:03)

Thanks a lot! Nice picture!!!

grazie wrote:

It's also well worth mentioning the image hostname is teq for easy ssh login.

$ ssh root@teq

Yes - I activated AVAHI, so you can connect to "teq.local".

grazie wrote:

Perhaps you should also lower the default volume a little? It was too loud for me when I plugged in my headphones.

Ok, I will do so for the next version. For my monitor speakers in combination with the Hifiberry-DAC+ it was not a problem. But it seems not to be so easy: When running "amixer" you have to give it a name of the parameter to change (e.g. Master). "Master" was not working for my Hifiberry... it seems that every card has its own names... Perhaps I should add a selection for the soundcard related parameters at the first startup...

grazie wrote:

Are you using a standard kernel or a low latency one?

It is the standard kernel with some optimizations we found out for Zynthian project. I also tried Linux-RT for Zynthian (on a RPi3) but the result was frustrating. The better (and easier) approach seems to use "CPU isolation" (using "cgroups" for the isolation of 3 CPUs and "partrt" to start all sound relevated software on those CPUs (like jack, synths, ...). But since there is only Pianoteq running on this image and Pianoteq is optimzed for using multi-CPU I havn't used it.

Regards, Holger

Are you going to share what you did on this project exactly? I'd love to know. As Pianoteq is a GUI, you can't have used Raspbian Lite, unless you added X yourself? How did you make the image so small?

After reading LuBa's great thread on using DietPi with an Odroid C2, I was going to try that distro. However, after first seeing that only a 1GB card was was needed and then fiinding out 4GB was now the minimum, I was a bit put off.

Last edited by grazie (25-01-2018 08:35)

This is very cool. I have an RPi2 but that's dedicated to other tasks. I will definitely look into a single-board computer (SBC) setup - RPi3 or other - for Pianoteq on the go. A laptop is still somewhat awkward to manage. A dedicated Pi-sized SBC slapped on the back of a MIDI keyboard would be very convenient. Ideally I'd like to dispense with the screen as well, accessing instrument selection and parameter tweaks via midi control.

3/2 = 5

grazie wrote:

Are you going to share what you did on this project exactly? I'd love to know. As Pianoteq is a GUI, you can't have used Raspbian Lite, unless you added X yourself? How did you make the image so small?

As I wrote before: I am working for the Zynthian project. The goal is to have a synth which can be easy built by everyone. I will try to integrate Pianoteq into Zynthian. For Zynthian we have tried much variants of Distributions and created several build scripts. My scripts are located at https://github.com/dcoredump/zynthian-recipe. But there is no really "fire&forget" script which generates a ready to use image.

The image for Pianoteq-Stage-demo is based on Minibian. My current recipe (not for all stages of building: installation of Pianoteq-Stage-Demo, boot screen and scripts for startup Pianoteq are missing) is the following:

apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install raspi-config
# Now use raspi config to maximize the SD card filesystem and reboot

echo "set mouse=\"\"" > /root/.vimrc
apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade
sed -i -- "s/jessie/stretch/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get -y update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade
reboot

apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install apt-utils screen sudo htpdate rpi-updat
e vim avahi-daemon
apt-get -y purge emacs emacs24 emacs24-bin-common emacs24-common nano joe
cat >> /boot/config.txt << EOF
gpu_mem=16
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp
#dtoverlay=audioinjector-wm8731-audio
#dtoverlay=iqaudio-dac
#dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus
#dtoverlay=iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio
#dtoverlay=pisound
#dtoverlay=justboom-dac
#dtoverlay=justboom-digi
dtoverlay=i2s-mmap
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
# Adjust Serial Port Clock to allow MIDI baudrate 31250
#init_uart_clock=2441000
#init_uart_baud=38400
#dtparam=uart0_clkrate=3000000
#dtoverlay=midi-uart0
disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_pixel_encoding=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=800
framebuffer_depth=16
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
EOF
reboot

sed -i -r -- "s/dtparam=audio=on/#dtparam=audio=on/" /boot/config.txt
sed -i -r -- "s/gpu_mem=\d+/gpu_mem=64/" /boot/config.txt
#mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/networking.service.d
#cat <<EOF >/etc/systemd/system/networking.service.d/reduce-timeout.conf
#[Service]
#TimeoutStartSec=1
#EOF
sed -i -r -- 's/^auto eth0/allow-hotplug eth0/' /etc/network/interfaces
sed -i -r -- '/@audio - memlock/d' /etc/security/limits.conf
sed -i -r -- '/@audio - rtprio/d' /etc/security/limits.conf
sed -i -r -- '/@audio - nice/d' /etc/security/limits.conf
echo "@audio - memlock unlimited" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
echo "@audio - rtprio 99" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
echo "@audio - nice -10" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
usermod -a -G audio root
echo "vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=1500" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
echo "dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0 elevator=noop root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes console=tty3 consoleblank=0 net.ifname=0 rootwait quiet" > /boot/cmdline.txt
echo "teq" > /etc/hostname
sed -i -e "s/minibian/teq/" /etc/hosts
rpi-update
reboot

apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install systemd cpufrequtils htop tcpdump lsof xsel libts-dev libts-bin xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xinit xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-evdev x11-xserver-utils xwit libfreetype6 libasound2 libx11-6 libxext6 fontconfig-config xauth p7zip-full python-gi python-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0
apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install fbi matchbox-window-manager unclutter fbset xwit
/usr/bin/cpufreq-set -g performance
sed -i -- 's/GOVERNOR="ondemand"/GOVERNOR="performance"/' /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable avahi-daemon
systemctl disable raspi-config
systemctl disable cron
systemctl disable rsyslog
systemctl disable ntp
systemctl disable triggerhappy
systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service
systemctl disable getty@tty1.service
apt-get -y autoremove
rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
reboot

After installation I am shrinking the image with parted. I will try to create a better version of the script and store it in my repo. I am uploading currently a slightly newer version (see my next post :-) ). Currently my main work is to integrate Pianoteq into Zynthian.

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (25-01-2018 07:58)

Hi all,

here is a slightly newer version of Pianoteq-Raspi: [not available anymore - see next posts for a newer link]. It is downloadable until 8.2.2018. I made some smaller changes for a faster boot, disabled wlan and bt (so there are no kernel messages written on the boot spalash anymore). Also the system is now based on Debian 9 (stretch) and not Debian 8 anymore. The rest is the same as before - no need to upgrade.

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (30-01-2018 08:14)

Thanks Holger, that's really useful.

Have you actually tried running a licenced version of Pianoteq? I'd offer to do so, but I'm still at version 4. I really should pay the small upgrade charge and get version 6.

grazie wrote:

Thanks Holger, that's really useful.

Have you actually tried running a licenced version of Pianoteq? I'd offer to do so, but I'm still at version 4. I really should pay the small upgrade charge and get version 6.

No, not tried yet :-(

I will buy a license after I have finished my integration into Zynthian. Currently I am only sure to buy the "Electric Piano" - but I really don't know what else (not because I have no idea... I just cannot decide which one - almost all sound so nice).

Regards, Holger

And how's lagging/latency/sound quality/CPU usage and overall performance ?

(a very tech unsavoury question I know)

Xain wrote:

And how's lagging/latency/sound quality/CPU usage and overall performance ?

(a very tech unsavoury question I know)

I tested with a buffer size of 128 and 48 voices of polyphony. The calculated latency is 2.8ms (+ MIDI latency). I think the real latency is about 4ms... I have to measure with a scope, but had no time until now.

For me this is absolute ok. I had no dropouts or anything else. Also I had no problems with "only" 48 voices of polyphony - perhaps somebody has. Maybe you can get dropouts when activating all effects...

Has anyone a MIDI demo and/or setup which is known for making trouble with "high quality" setups for testing?

Regards, Holger

Hi @ll,

I created a newer image for the Pianoteq-Demo on the Raspi. Now there is a simple (touchable) GUI around Pianoteq-Stage-Demo where you can choose your soundcard (including HDMI output). Users which use USB adapters should configure HDMI.

https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/d/id/pMSoy2duNdNMjv (513.7MB) - link is available until 13.02.2018

The next step would be an option for upgrading the Demo to a licensed version (means installing a licensed version via USB stick).

Regards, Holger

Last edited by C0d3man (30-01-2018 09:07)

Another newbie question - would it be possible to install/use VNC to control the Raspberry, instead of an external monitor? And how? Thank you !

Last edited by Xain (13-02-2018 13:34)

Xain wrote:

Another newbie question - would it be possible to install/use VNC to control the Raspberry, instead of an external monitor? And how? Thank you !

Yes - should work... but I have not much done with VLC until now. I don't know what packages are needed and have currently not much time for trying.

Regards, Holger

Xain wrote:

An alternative to VNC to control/communicate with the Pianoteq application on the Pi could be X11, as described on Stefan's thread. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with his build, but I'll try it with Holger's and report back.

All of this tech geekery is great, but wouldn't it be simpler if we could just run Pianoteq on our phones?

Last edited by tfort (15-02-2018 16:26)

I believe android is not optimized for low latency.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

All the more reason to start with iOS.

And as discussed at the PianoWorld forum, Mind Music Labs has developed Elk, a low-latency, ARM or Intel Linux-based OS for embedded music applications. I suspect Pianoteq could be ported to run on it easily, if it isn't already in Modartt's labs. Elk is reportedly working with JUCE, which is the development platform for Pianoteq.

https://www.mindmusiclabs.com

Ultimately, cell phone technology is creating the most portable computers ever, and their capabilities are growing extremely quickly. Shifting music instrument technology to be able to take advantage of these technological advancements seems inevitable and highly desirable. The question may become whether you prefer that technology embedded into your instrument or separate in your phone.

Hi Holger, thanks for your work! The link you posted with a dead line of 13.02 is not working, do you´ve a new link for this file?
I understood that you´ve some problems with the 6.1 version but the link was about the old 6.0, correct?
Thanks! Tito.

C0d3man wrote:

Hi @ll,

I created a newer image for the Pianoteq-Demo on the Raspi. Now there is a simple (touchable) GUI around Pianoteq-Stage-Demo where you can choose your soundcard (including HDMI output). Users which use USB adapters should configure HDMI.

https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/d/id/pMSoy2duNdNMjv (513.7MB) - link is available until 13.02.2018

The next step would be an option for upgrading the Demo to a licensed version (means installing a licensed version via USB stick).

Regards, Holger

Hi Tito,

yes, the image download is only available for max. of 14 days - so it expired a month ago. If I can find some time, I will upload the image again.
Please note: My image is based on the "older" Version 6.0.3.

Regards, Holger

Thanks bro!  I keep waiting for the link. Please, just send to me message when it is working again. I really want to do a test. Regards, Tito.

C0d3man wrote:

Hi Tito,

yes, the image download is only available for max. of 14 days - so it expired a month ago. If I can find some time, I will upload the image again.
Please note: My image is based on the "older" Version 6.0.3.

Regards, Holger

Tito wrote:

Thanks bro!  I keep waiting for the link. Please, just send to me message when it is working again. I really want to do a test. Regards, Tito.

... and here it is: https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/d/id/4E36P8WYveKNos (available until 24.3.2018)

For the new 6.1.1 (or a licensed version) you have to replace the file

/root/Pianoteq/Pianoteq 6 STAGE

with a newer one.

Have fun!

New Raspberry Pi 3 B+ is out, gives you a couple hundred extra MHz:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe...le-now-35/

Last edited by tfort (14-03-2018 20:17)