Topic: pianoroot: an even lighter linux distribution for raspberry

Hi there,

another take as the leanest linux install... This time I used buildroot:

https://sconversy.blogspot.fr/2018/01/p...e-and.html

27mb d/l, 200mb installed.
The boot time is not great though, ~15sec...

I do not know if it's of any interest, but I really wanted to try it.
I share, who knows? That might spike some interest...

Cheers,

Stéphane

[edit: made topic subject more explicit]

Last edited by stefanovic (01-02-2018 09:28)

Re: pianoroot: an even lighter linux distribution for raspberry

Great, Stephane, this is a setup I planned to make available, too. My impressions are that running Pianoteq headlessly frees a relevant amount of processors cycles improving Pianoteq's performance.

erik

Thanks Eric!

So far it's only a proof of concept, as there is a need to work on boot time and on latency as well: I tested quickly yesterday night, latency did not seem to be that great even though it was supposed to be 128 samples...

Thanks for providing this image, Stéphane. However, I had problems getting Pianoteq to run.

Etcher created 2 partitions on the SD card I used (16GB - 1st to hand), one of 64MB (fat16) and the system partition of 128MB (ext4).
Does the boot partition have to be fat32? If so, can I persuade Etcher to create it?

Ran xhost as described from a terminal on my Linux laptop. The image booted fine to the login prompt. I assume 'logging in' isn't required, but I couldn't find the default login details on the net anyway. However, there was no sign of Pianoteq running. Does the file name of the Pianoteq binary matter? I used the default 'Pianoteq 6 STAGE'.

Last edited by grazie (04-02-2018 21:35)

Hi Grazie!

grazie wrote:

Thanks for providing this image, Stéphane. However, I had problems getting Pianoteq to run.

Etcher created 2 partitions on the SD card I used (16GB - 1st to hand), one of 64MB (fat16) and the system partition of 128MB (ext4).
Does the boot partition have to be fat32?

yes.

grazie wrote:

If so, can I persuade Etcher to create it?

there should be no need for it. Etcher is supposed to 'etch' both partitions (actually Etcher does not even know that there are two partitions)

grazie wrote:

Ran xhost as described from a terminal on my Linux laptop. The image booted fine to the login prompt. I assume 'logging in' isn't required, but I couldn't find the default login details on the net anyway. However, there was no sign of Pianoteq running.

did you create an X11DISPLAY file on the FAT32 partition containing the IP address of your Linux PC?

grazie wrote:

Does the file name of the Pianoteq binary matter? I used the default 'Pianoteq 6 STAGE'.

The file name should begin with 'Pianoteq': the script uses '/boot/Pianoteq*' as the executable name.
Hope this helps.