Topic: -50% Off Discount (Steingraeber Intro)

Any comments on what other instrument pack to get next? These are the instruments I don't own yet:

— — — — — —
YC5 Rock Piano
U4 Upright Piano
Kremsegg #1
Kremsegg #2
— — — — — —
Harpsichord
— — — — — —
Concert Harp
— — — — — —
Vibes
Celeste
Xylo
Steelpans
— — — — — —

Last edited by Groove On (14-06-2018 20:10)

Re: -50% Off Discount (Steingraeber Intro)

Get the upright or why not the harpsichord?

Hard work and guts!

Kremsegg 2 collection have 4 piano models, and C. Beckstein sounds quite like a good modern grand, despite be modelled from a 1899 piano. For other side the other 3 models sounds quite vintage for modern audiences.

Last edited by Beto-Music (14-06-2018 21:12)

Beto-Music wrote:

C. Beckstein sounds quite like a good modern grand, despite be modelled from a 1899 piano

you do realize that the very definition of a "modern grand"—the Steinway D—was first built in 1884 (ie 15 years before our Bechstein)? 

Matthieu 7:6

No, I didn't knew about... Intreresting...  Thanks.
This Bechstein it's the oldest to sound very modern to my ears. All the olders I heard sounded somewhat dated, but they were a few decades before 1884.

If you have a sound file of a 1884 or 1885/1887 grand piano sounding as modern as a actual grand piano, please send me.

_DJ_ wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

C. Beckstein sounds quite like a good modern grand, despite be modelled from a 1899 piano

you do realize that the very definition of a "modern grand"—the Steinway D—was first built in 1884 (ie 15 years before our Bechstein)? 

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-06-2018 00:23)

Beto-Music wrote:

If you have a sound file of a 1884 or 1885/1887 grand piano sounding as modern as a actual grand piano, please send me.

it is a "modern", "actual grand piano"...!

https://youtu.be/eVyDQ7QQbc4?t=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18llhEX4h0

https://youtu.be/3Pj3qWbGWx8?t=80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWlEheUVT8

I like my 1885 Steinway 54" upright F.  Sounds contemporary to me.

The "Modern era" in pianos likely is most related to Theodore Steinway's creating of the overstrung design in the 1870s (angled strings where the treble and bass sections overlap), as well as the pressed felt hammers that came about 10-15 years prior to that.

- David

EvilDragon wrote:

Get the upright or why not the harpsichord?

Got the U4 Upright  ... mwah ha ha ha ha ... the plan for World Domination is proceeding as planned ...

Thank you. Interesting early "modern" pianos.  But the Bechstein 1899 still sounds closer to realy modern (actual pianos).

Those early "modern" Steinways, which I presume got this classification for having the curved section made in a entire single piece (made layers of long wood sheets clued and compressed) instead of of two or more pieces, and the holes in the harp, are not very good if we judge with modern piano standarts, at least for me.

They sound really heavy, metalic and even nasal.
The model from 1887 sounds like a metalic spring jumping in the trebble, and he hear some "plugged noises", like had heavy action with lot of friction. The bass it's strong and heavy, a kind of weird heavy nasal (strong nasal sensation).
The one from 1884, Model D Victorian Rosewood, second link, have portions of the middle range funny, like remambering a toy instrument.

In other words, they sounded dated.

Bechstein still rules for vintage pianos, unles you find a 1899 Steinway sounding better.

I found this one, Steinway 1899, but still not good as Bechstein, improoved but still have some heavy sound, and metalic, like a Koean piano, like a bad piano...  But it probably it's no longer original, went to restorations and have no longer the original sound from when it left the factory in 1899.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8sWZyBC08

Diaphragmatic soundboard and accelerated action was introduced only in 1936.
So, 1936 would be a better reference year to take pianos as modern pianos.

_DJ_ wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

it is a "modern", "actual grand piano"...!

https://youtu.be/eVyDQ7QQbc4?t=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18llhEX4h0

https://youtu.be/3Pj3qWbGWx8?t=80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWlEheUVT8

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-06-2018 04:10)

Groove On wrote:

Got the U4 Upright  ... mwah ha ha ha ha ... the plan for World Domination is proceeding as planned ...

Beto-Music wrote:

well, if we're going to parse definitions, then in that vein i suppose to be a truly "modern" instrument one has to be using digital modeling synthesis (ie Pianoteq) and a high-end midi controller + sound setup to properly qualify an instrument as a "modern piano" (so call it 2006 with Modartt's founding)...  all your old physical instruments are mere antiques! 

seriously though, what Dave said, plus Steinway's perfecting the cast-iron plate are generally considered the birth of the so-called "modern piano" (as perhaps distinguished from earlier "fortepianos" or "pianofortes" [wienermechanik vs english action respectively]).  now it's true that the older instruments typically have a lot of character, but i believe that's generally regarded as a good thing and part of what contributes to their being 'instruments' vs 'typeweriters'...

That 1899 white piano has a nice tone, but the unisons do not sound so well tuned, and it twangs as if the felt on the hammers has gotten really hard.  The diaphragmatic soundboard likely helps some with broadcasting treble in addition to bass and tenor, but is a subtle advancement.  The accelerated action becomes noticeable for, well, accelerated pieces! (...do I hear a bumble-bee buzzing about?)

- David

Well, I prefer my own definition...
It need to sound modern, like able to allow a great pianist interpret/perform a dynamic intensive composition without sound old or limited.

If a 1887 or 1899 Steinway grand piano sounds heavy, iron-spring-metal, nasal, noise, it's not moderm to me, but quite "bad Korean".

I remamber a guy in Uruguay, a piano restorer, selling grand Steinway, old used from many decades, and trying to find buyers using the reputation of the brand. Many was from 20's or 30's.  There was a brazilian guy with prodigious son, a kid with genius for music, that was adviced to only buy Steinway pianos.  I wonder if he got a old used Steinway and if it sounded modern or not.

_DJ_ wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

well, if we're going to parse definitions, then in that vein i suppose to be a truly "modern" instrument one has to be using digital modeling synthesis (ie Pianoteq) and a high-end midi controller + sound setup to properly qualify an instrument as a "modern piano" (so call it 2006 with Modartt's founding)...  all your old physical instruments are mere antiques! 

seriously though, what Dave said, plus Steinway's perfecting the cast-iron plate are generally considered the birth of the so-called "modern piano" (as perhaps distinguished from earlier "fortepianos" or "pianofortes" [wienermechanik vs english action respectively]).  now it's true that the older instruments typically have a lot of character, but i believe that's generally regarded as a good thing and part of what contributes to their being 'instruments' vs 'typeweriters'...

Yes, this one sounded better than the 1884 and 1885 models, but still not great.
I'm curious to know when Steinway got the reputation of the best brand in the world, since the Bechstein 1899 sounds better to my ears.

dklein wrote:

That 1899 white piano has a nice tone, but the unisons do not sound so well tuned, and it twangs as if the felt on the hammers has gotten really hard.  The diaphragmatic soundboard likely helps some with broadcasting treble in addition to bass and tenor, but is a subtle advancement.  The accelerated action becomes noticeable for, well, accelerated pieces! (...do I hear a bumble-bee buzzing about?)

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-06-2018 16:20)

I really like the YC5 Rock Piano.

hag01 wrote:

The development of the YC5 has been fascinating. In v.5 I didn't like it at all, but suddenly in v.6 it has emerged in full maturity. Its designation as a 'rock piano' probably puts some people off, but to me it comes across as a versatile and clean-sounding modern instrument, not just for rock styles.

hag01 wrote:

Same here. The YC5 is next on my list, along with the Kremsegg Collections and the Harp after that! The Harpsichord is odd for me - while I enjoy the Harpsichords in the KIViR Project, I’m still not sure about the Hans Rucker II Harpsichord ...

Last edited by Groove On (17-06-2018 20:12)