Topic: speaker placement feedback

I need to upgrade my speaker placement, and would like the feedback from people's experiences here.

Currently, I am using the QuikLok WS540 stand for my Yamaha CP33 digital keyboard

My speakers are Behringer B2031A active monitors (x2).  They are currently standing on plastic milk cartons on either side of the piano

It is a setup that sounds OK ambiently and HORRIBLE from the playing position.  From my experience, it seems I need to achieve three things:

1.  Put the speakers slightly behind the keyboard
2.  Direct them toward the playing position (to form the triangle)
3.  Have them slightly lower than keyboard height, tilted up toward the playing position away from the ground.

It seems to me that this would produce a much richer playing/listening experience by achieving two things:
1.  Direct the sound toward the listener for optimal sound presence
2.  Emanate the sound from a position that will help fool the ears into thinking it comes directly from the keyboard

My fear is that a normal monitor speaker stand, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/Quiklok-BS300-Mon...B0006Z8FTM
would achieve effect #1 above but sacrifice #2 or vice versa

So would I was thinking of something more like this:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/268449.html

Sitting on top of something about 1.5-2.5' tall could achieve the desired effect, such as small wood cabinets.

Thoughts?

Re: speaker placement feedback

Satisfying results for private/home playing using external speakers is very hard to achieve in my opinion. So much depends on room acoustics and of course speaker and amplifier quality.

I use Paradigm monitors with a NAD 60W per channel amp which should be comparable to what you have, sitting on normal vertical ear level stands, and I have experimented with diverse speaker placements, to no avail. It always sounds like two speakers in a room, and not a piano in a room. Maybe lower tilted stands would be better but I doubt it.

My only conclusive result is that it is better not to put speakers too close to you, like for instance directly behind the keyboard which seems natural to emulate an instrument.

Keyboards with built-in speakers, even of lesser quality, may seem to do a better job because the whole instrument resonates with the speakers and the illusion is better (but maybe not the sound itself)

I experimented with ambiophonics RACE encoding in order to try to cancel crosstalk between speakers and get closer to headphones sound, but it has a detrimental effect on the piano sound quality, although it is very good for listening to recorded music.

More recently, I downloaded this VST plugin :
( http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-27871.html )
which works very well for getting a satisfying out-of-speaker sound and has less effect on the signal by not using the recursive part of the RACE algorithm. It also reduces latency to an inaudible value.

The thing is that ambiophonics can work miracles with a source that is recorded to make use of it, in a similar way that binaural recording using a head microphone does for headphones, but the output of pianoteq, in my opinion, doesn't (yet...) take into account 3D sound distribution in space.

So using ambiophonics doesn't do the trick for pianoteq. I still prefer headphones...

I agree with Gilles. Using the speakers built in the digital piano give the best result. I have a CLP295 grand piano and route my fasttrack pro to the aux input on the piano.  There is no match for this with monitors. In my little studio, I'm using KRK R8 monitors and the sound for piano is disappointing. However, for midi tracks I use as accompaniment, they sound great and the piano speakers are less good.
The best solution is good built-in piano speakers and monitors for accompaniment.

have you thought of using an amplifier instead of monitors? I know this might sound strange but I have a single Yamaha MSR100 powered speaker / stage monitor which I use in angled monitor position at a similar height to a grand piano. It sounds like there is a real piano in my studio! The quality of the speakers' sound and the fact that I can angle it to mimic the direction of the sound coming from a real grand piano produces a very realistic sound indeed. You see, an amplifier is what's used in a digital piano rather than a pair of ear level peakers because manufacturers know that there is value in using amplifiers because their acoustic ambience or range covers more than a speaker or monitor would. Maybe you could try this with an amp you already have or maybe borrow one to check it out?

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/link/106448

Last edited by sigasa (07-02-2009 21:43)

thank you everyone for the suggestions and discussion.

i understand the general concept of "ambiophonics" but how is it practical?  how do you implement it?

my piano has no built-in speakers -- it is just the keyboard and requires external speakers in order to work.  i feed it through a small mixing board to give me more control over the sound.

also, for better or worse, this is the hardware that i have available, and i don't currently have the budget to purchase a new sound system.  so i need to make what i have work the best it can for me.

the more i play with my position in relation to the speakers, the more it seems that the speakers just need to be higher off the ground, because when i move my head down closer to where they are it sounds great

Hello ethanay,

Just to explain, ambiophonics is only practical for the player, because you have to position two speakers close together and sit right in the middle to get the effect. Also, they have to be quite far away so as to keep a 10 to 20 degree angle between the center of the speakers and you. If you play for other people or accompany somebody, it is not useful. I experimented with it because I play mostly for myself and tried to emulate the sound of headphones. One way I did this with pianoteq is to use the ambiophonics plugin along with pianoteq in Cubase. It was not satisfactory, but I still like a lot the plugin for listening to recorded music through Winamp. The effect varies from recording to recording, but sometimes you really get a full stage both wide and deep which makes you forget there are speakers involved. This is the 3D effect I was trying to get with pianoteq.

The reason it doesn't work in my opinion is that the sound output of pianoteq doesn't include any room or stage contribution which could benefit from ambiophonics (for good reasons actually). Reverb can help but it has no out of phase component which could bring depth to the sound. I experimented also with a much better external reverb (not convolution based though) but found no improvement over headphones.

You are probably right in wanting your speakers to be higher up because tweeter dispersion is usually bad coming from the top of the speakers because of interference with the edge of the box. This is the case for my speakers anyway, and my stands being not height adjustable, they are too low if I put them near the keyboard and sit in a correct height to play. But I would not rule out also trying the tilted base because this might also correct the dispersion problem if you keep them low on the ground. This might even be closer to the effect of built-in speakers, the sound coming from the ground up in a similar way. You may want to try this with a different arrangement of temporary support...

If I understand sigasa correctly, he is using a single powerful horn-loaded active PA speaker, which might also work better than a weaker stereo pair in some cases, in part by probably having much higher efficiency and so playing a lot louder and closer to the sound output of a real piano.

Hope this helps...

I got Pianoteq over a year ago and spent almost as much time looking for a satisfactory portable speaker setup that would convey a convincing sound of a real piano in the room.  I bought a Groove Tubes Spacestation, (http://www.groovetubes.com/SFX_Space_St...69C196.cfm) months ago and am reasonably satisfied with the results.  It puts out a couple hundred watts and puts out a 360 degree stereo effect, and is only about 32 lbs in weight.

I think you could try this cheap solution: as you said your speakers are good for ambient listening and I'd enhance this by putting them parallel (not angled toward you) under the keyboard; if they have roll off switches on the back you could cut some dBs of high frequencies on the left speaker and cut low on the right one. This should help the stereo perception but will give you , from the player position, poor clarity and presence; to solve this problem you could feed into the mixer two more cheap speakers (like computer sets) that work quite good in hi-mid, high frequencies and place them directly over the keyboard. You won't have the best clarity because of the cheap tweeters but you will add a lot of presence and maybe some robustness in the hi-mid area where pianoteq is still lacking a little if you need a more aggressive sound: in this way you are not recreating the depth of a gran coda but rather a vertical piano situation..
Hope this help
Ettore

PS: never tried it so not sure it will work

A stupid question : I have two studio monitors Yamaha MS101II.

If I direct them towards me, to form the famous triangle, and with a "player" preset the sound is very clear, but maybe too clear : al the presence and the "illusion" of playing a grand vanishes immediately.

I'm trying to achieve what someone called more "presence", and in order to do so I'm trying to direct the speakers towards the wall, at 10-15 cm from it, an use an "under lid" preset, on the ground that, after all, that's (very grossly) how an upright soundboard works.

Does it make any sense ? Am I the only fool around here to try this solution ?

Last edited by Xain (29-01-2015 10:37)

Since you resurrected this old thread in which I spoke about my trials, might as well update my point. Last thing I tried before going headphones only is use an angled floor stand and put two speakers beneath the keyboard, angled toward me. This minimizes interaction with the room and connects more with the keyboard. But still, it sounds like speakers in a room, not piano in a room.

Here is a link to a picture of the right speaker on the stand:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k...directlink

To me, as somebody playing only for himself, the best results are with Bose noise cancelling headphones. No keyboard or pedal noise, no room interaction, just the pure sound of the model. Somebody doing gigs or playing for people is of course in a whole different situation.

I recall Joe Felice once wrote about his home setup using large high quality speakers along with powerful amplification. This must sound pretty good indeed because Joe has such a stellar technique! The other point I would like to make is that sometimes a piano in the room is only possible if a good pianist is also there! Not my case...

What makes me think this way is a recent experience during a choir sectional rehearsal in a very bad sounding conference room. At one point our accompanist, a professional organist, came along and played the complex piano reduction of the piece we were learning on a very cheap Yamaha keyboard, with plastic keys and a synthesizer spring action. Well, the result was extraordinay, there was a piano in the room suddenly, because there was also an excellent pianist. The fact he was used to pipe organ touch surely helps in dealing with this bad action, but he also sounds fabulous on our regular real upright...

Last edited by Gilles (29-01-2015 16:46)

The problem is always the pianist...! OK, all joke apart, When my wife is in the adjacent room, sometimes she thinks I'm playing my real grand while I'm playing on Pianoteq, because she doesn't see me or the instrument. But when we play, we see speakers, unless as you did, you place them out of sight, but then the high frequencies will be inevitably damaged. Law of physics.
By the way I've been testing some new digital pianos recently and each time the speakers are placed under the keyboard, they sound bad, unless they are complemented by other speakers facing you. Simple.

Luc Henrion wrote:

..., but then the high frequencies will be inevitably damaged. Law of physics. ...

I placed the speakers upside down with the tweeter at the bottom, shooting straight into my ears, but still, I agree it is far from optimal...

By the way, these speakers in the picture are ancient (but good) Dynaco bookshelfs, and not the higher quality Paradigm I used previously. Speaker quality doesn't convincingly improve the realism at low to moderate volume in my opinion.

Last edited by Gilles (29-01-2015 16:49)

Hello Gilles and others,

Thank you for mentioning my name in the context of this thread. 

Yes, in the past, I did describe my audio system for Pianoteq; however, for practice, I use AKG-702 headphones (the studio version of AKG-701's, with a detachable cord instead of a hardwired cord).  The reason for using headphones instead of the full-blown audio system is that my wife of nearly 37 years has heard me practicing wayyyy too much, especially when learning a new piece or trying out various phrases for existing pieces.  Quite frankly, she is tired of the noisy racket I make at all hours of the day and night.

My audio system is rather large as compared against computer-type workstations.  The reason is that every three decibels' increase requires a doubling of amplifier power.  Want an additional 3db on top of that?  No problem; except you need to re-double the previous amplifier requirement.  An increase in 10dB requires approximately a ten-fold increase in amplifier output.  A 20dB increase requires a hundred-fold increase in amp output.  +30db requires 1000 times more amplifier power; +40db requires 10,000 times more amplifier power.

Get it?  A +10dB loudness increase requires a 1 with only one zero (i.e. 10-fold) power increase; 
A +20dB loudness increase requires a 100-fold power increase; 
A +50db loudness requires a 100,000-fold power increase.

You get the idea.

Granted, when playing softly, your amplifier puts out only 1/16th of a watt, or even less;  please understand that  reproducing a +40 or +50dB increase in a grand piano's loudness requires thousands of clean audio watts!  This is why Pianoteq has a built-in limiter, and this is why recording companies use (or over-use, in my opinion) compressors when mastering a song.  It is my opinion that this fact governs why almost every commercial digital piano literally "craps out", or at least their highs disappear or distort, and their bass notes lack that "oomph" that is otherwise present in a good grand piano's performance!!!  (My condolences to all of the customers who believed the digital keyboard salesmen's pitches that 'This piano sounds just like the real thing!')

My home setup has three stereo power amps:  A Bryston 4B rated at 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms, plus a Bose 1801 (originally designed in the 1970s as an amp to power their then-famous 901 speakers) rated at 400 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and finally a modified Carver 1.5T amp that can borrow power from the other channel such that the total is a whopping 1200 watts!  It takes over 2 kilowatts of clean amplifier power to reproduce the true dynamic range of a piano!

What happens when one does not have 2+ kilowatts' worth of clean amplifier power?  Usually the amps have some form of soft-clipping circuits -- which really amounts to distortion.  Most speakers will be fried with that much raw amplifier power.  That's why my personal system consists of a pair of ancient Ohm-F full range speakers (power hungry in themselves), plus a "smaller" (but still huge) pair of Ohm Walsh 4's, plus a pair of B&W speakers whose model I don't recall at the moment.

And then, as Gilles accurately pointed out, you need a musician who is able to make music with the software at hand....

Cheers,

Joe

Hi all,

Looks like some good new contributions to this thread  

My own update:  I've had some success using both headphones (AKG K240) and the studio monitors (see above) *at the same time* whenever possible.  That said, it's nice to have headphones when the graciousness of family wears thin!

cheers,

ethan

PS Gilles, noting the "stopper bar" you put behind the pedal and in front of the rear legs of the stand -- I have the same piano stand (love it!  very stable and compact when folded) and have been wondering how to deal with "pedal migration"

ethanay wrote:

PS Gilles, noting the "stopper bar" you put behind the pedal and in front of the rear legs of the stand -- I have the same piano stand (love it!  very stable and compact when folded) and have been wondering how to deal with "pedal migration"

Yes, I had posted pictures of my stand when I added the MIDI solution controller with the FC3 pedal, somewhere in 2009, but the direct links are dead now. Here is a new link to these three pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1039962729...directlink

This solution works very well, at least better than duct tape...

PMFJI --

Would adding some reverb (using Pianoteq's reverb) help the situation, with "near-field" speakers?

Thanks --

.    Charles (usually with headphones, occasionally with an ElectroVoice ZXA1 aimed at my head)

Yes Joe, we need a lot of power (and quality, of course) to approach the dynamics of a grand piano!
In my own studio, I have in fact, side by side, a 6' grand and a few 88 notes digital keyboards (Kurzweil K2500, Alesis Fusion and Casio PX350), they are usually amplified with a pair of Fostex PM841 + a 200 W sub. This gives me a total of +/- 400W, but in tri-amp + sub mode, ("quadri-amp" ???) which means that all amps and speakers are used the best way they can. In fact when I took my measurement mic, I was amazed by the results: very flat response in many different places of the room and lot of level if needed. I'm probably lucky since I didn't made a lot of acoustic correction.
And yes, sure, I have to push the volume very, very high if I want to get the same level as my real piano, even with the lid closed! I had to play a few performances for two pianos with a friend pianist, so when we rehearsed at home, the comparison was obvious !

Luc Henrion wrote:

And yes, sure, I have to push the volume very, very high if I want to get the same level as my real piano, even with the lid closed! I had to play a few performances for two pianos with a friend pianist, so when we rehearsed at home, the comparison was obvious !

Hello Luc,

Thank you for confirming, first hand, exactly how much clean power is needed in order to simulate an accurate piano sound.

Cheers,

Joe