Topic: Plan of Bosendorfer Imperial 290 as an Instrument Pack?

I really like the Bosendorfer Imperial piano, and probably lots of other people will.
But unfortunately, Bosendorfer Imperial doesn't exist in Pianoteq Instrument Packs.
I know that there are some fxp files based on other pianos that try to imitate the bosendorfer uploaded in the FXP corner, but they don't seem to match the Bosendorfer Imperial properly.

Does there exist a plan in Modartt to develop and release the Instrument pack of the Bosendorfer Imperial Piano?
I really wish it does!!

Re: Plan of Bosendorfer Imperial 290 as an Instrument Pack?

+1
I'd really like that as well.

Yes for me too.

Pianoteq 7 Pro with all pianos

I'd like to see it too, but it's all up to Yamaha if they'd allow Modartt using the Bösendorfer name.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I'd like to see it too, but it's all up to Yamaha if they'd allow Modartt using the Bösendorfer name.

Like many others, I would love that Pianoteq proposes a "Viennese" preset (for example a B280F218) that it would be possible to "finalize" in the form of .fxp more easily than with the Bluthner preset in something that looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6wMOySPYQ
Pianoteq Pro does not seem to offer enough parameters to go much further with the current Bluthner preset in the "VC" direction.

Bruno

Last edited by bm (16-09-2018 22:07)

EvilDragon wrote:

Yes, but there already exists a Bosendorfer model (1829) in pianoteq's Instrument pack, Kremsegg historical piano collection 1

https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1

Did Yamaha allow only an old Bosendorfer to be modeled, and are they refusing to allow Modartt to create a model for the Imperial version of Bosendorfer?

Last edited by DFJEX (17-09-2018 04:09)

EvilDragon wrote:

In addition to the probable origin of the chosen instrument the previous recording (280 VC) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRALKauO0eE
(and the plaid for a Viennese model - 3 models later Steingraeber would be so nice!)

DFJEX wrote:

Yes, but there already exists a Bosendorfer model (1829) in pianoteq's Instrument pack, Kremsegg historical piano collection 1

https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1

Did Yamaha allow only an old Bosendorfer to be modeled, and are they refusing to allow Modartt to create a model for the Imperial version of Bosendorfer?

I suspect that the vintage pianos may be effectively 'Public Domain', requiring no special permissions except an agreement with the owner or museum curator. Besides which, the Yamaha company didn't even exist in 1829!

Yeah, not only is it spelled differently ("Besendorfer"), Yamaha doesn't have the trademark for those old pianos AFAIK.

Hard work and guts!

Could anyone recommend one of the best FXP files that matches the genuine Bosendorfer Imperal 290?

Check out Stefan Mendl audition the Bosendorfer 290 in a previosu thread. Chopin Ballade No. 4 at about 8:44 in.

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5332

I think the K2 3 Mics with some adjustments gets closer. Set the String Length to 2.9,  and harden the hammers to like 42, 90, 172 in the Voicing panel to get that harsher sound.

The bass is not as defined as in the video, but overall I find one can hear the harmonic lines clearly as in the video.

You can audition that configuration with different Ballade 4 midi files. You will have to find a midi performance that is played with a similar delicacy. I used a midi by Dr. Ron Lubetsky.

I personally find the Bluethner based FXPs are too mellow compared to this particular Bosendorfer. Ivory Bosendorfer, sounds different to the Galaxy Pianos Vienna Grand which sounds different to this particular Bosendorfer. When you throw in micing, reverb and voicing they might as well be pianos from different makers.

I also am listening in over AKG 240 MK II headphones. I think the kind of headphones or speaker systems also count.

twl wrote:

I think the K2 3 Mics with some adjustments gets closer. Set the String Length to 2.9,  and harden the hammers to like 42, 90, 172 in the Voicing panel to get that harsher sound.

Wow this works!!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Yamaha owns Bösendorfer since 2008. So they acquired the trademark rights for the brand name and the logo in several countries for musical instruments and recordings (which is the protection they registered). If you want to use the brand name or the logo commercially, you need permission of Yamaha / Bösendorfer. You may use it privately though, for your own instruments or mods, without commercial background.
If Modartt wants to use "Bösendorfer" to commercially market a product they will need the permission to do so.
If Modarrt decides to model a piano like a Bösendorfer, they will not need any permission. There is not even anything secret about the design, as everybody can look at it. They do not replicate the visible detailed shape, which might be protected. They do not replicate parts, or physical(!) processes, which could be protected by patents.
So they could do it. It would just make so much more sense concerning marketing to do it together with Bösendorfer.