Topic: Ramassis

I picked up bunches of notes lying around, and I threw them loose in my Steingraeber Pianoteq...

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/ramassis/

Last edited by Gaston (22-08-2018 17:21)

Re: Ramassis

J'adore!!!

This kind of music is, maybe,  the most creative piano music I've heard. It is something new. New and inventive. I tried to analyze, and can here different and connected parts. I think like this: First an intro, 0-35s.  Part 1 35-57s.  Part 2 kind of transition 57-1,23s.  Part 3  1,23-2,12s.  Part 4  2,14-2,24 two pieces almost the same, and then ending 2,34-2,52s. 
I really like it ! Thank you!
Well, that’s what I think about it.

Indeed, I think Gaston is joking when he says he "picked up bunches of notes lying around, and I threw them loose in my Steingraeber Pianoteq". This piece might very well be more elaborate than it appears to be at first listening. I love it!

Very interesting indeed! The beginning uses Messiaen-like chords as in his Turangalîla-Symphonie. Surely more than 10 fingers in there, with a little help from Reaper!

It sounds as though Messiaen has stumbled into a jazz club! Great stuff!

Ramassis
   Why is this Gastons music so awesome, beyond words? Well, I think for me, when something is different and does change, it grabs my attention. His music doesn’t continually recycle itself, and therefore it will last longer. I don’t get tired. It doesn’t lose its appeal.
   I always listen all the way through a music piece, and after a second time I can say if I like it. If it is an experience. Complex music is challenging and keep my interest. Ramassis keep my interest. I have to say, do we have a new composer here? And what genre? I red somewhere that categorizing music is outdated…..So, for me it is the new Gaston-music.
Once more - excellent job, Gaston!

I can hear in Gaston's music a spontaneity that I have never heard with Messiaen, even less in his Turangalîla-Symphonie, where the slightest chromaticism seems premeditated.

Gaston, I don’t know if you have a place in the Messiaen’s kingdom, but your music is exceptional! And your Steingraeber sounds really good!

Gilles wrote:

Very interesting indeed! The beginning uses Messiaen-like chords as in his Turangalîla-Symphonie. Surely more than 10 fingers in there, with a little help from Reaper!

Yet it was with only ten fingers that I recorded the initial improv.
It's true that I rework a lot my improvisations in Reaper, especially to compensate for my lack of technique and virtuosity.
And sometimes I move some notes, but rarely add more.

by the way, six months ago I had published a track made in the same mood, with the Grotrian which was at the time my favorite piano :
https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/conjectures-itratives/

Surely more than 10 fingers in there, with a little help from Reaper!

For anyone who would like to count the fingers

https://youtu.be/L3RAiujFQkk

Last edited by Gaston (28-08-2018 11:54)

Ttried to count fingers, and at least at 0:11 I found 10 fingers. Mostly 6,7,8 fingers.
     You surprise me again, with your good sense of humor. Thanks! I smile, and it makes me more creative. So I improvised ”Melody for Steingraeber Bright” (by mistake I put it in forum, hope they move it to this place).
     BTW, someone said that those who have a good sense of humor tend to be more creative. Keep up the good work!

That video is fun to watch and I wonder what you mean by "lack of technique"
Still, at 1:04, there is a left hand position that I thought only Rachmaninoff could handle.

J'aime tout ce que vous faites Gaston! Vous faites honneur à la création de Franquin... (joke for french-speaking readers only)

Gilles wrote:

Still, at 1:04, there is a left hand position that I thought only Rachmaninoff could handle.

Right there, maybe there was a little help by Reaperninoff...

J'aime tout ce que vous faites Gaston! Vous faites honneur à la création de Franquin... (joke for french-speaking readers only)

Gaston était le prénom de mon grand-père, c'est aussi mon troisième prénom.
Mais je ne renie pas le Gaston de Franquin, bien sûr !

Gaston wrote:
Gilles wrote:

Right there, maybe there was a little help by Reaperninoff...

Gaston était le prénom de mon grand-père, c'est aussi mon troisième prénom.
Mais je ne renie pas le Gaston de Franquin, bien sûr !

Oups! Désolé, j'ai présumé vu votre sens de l'humour...
En passant mon deuxième prénom est Gaspard (pas de la nuit, cependant, celui de mon parrain. Les G semblent aimer se tenir ensemble)

Last edited by Gilles (28-08-2018 17:38)

Gaston la gamme

bernard wrote:

Gaston la gamme

More and more a francophonic joke !
For more information :
Gaston Lagaffe (belgian comic strip of the 50s/60s, a movie was recently taken from it).
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Lagaffe

Gaston was a great musician, he built his own instruments like the huge Gaffophone :
https://ahp.li/bbc5559cafa378523483.jpg

I had forgotten about that strange instrument...there are even YouTube videos of actual construction of a "working" prototype. Not sure how it would really sound if the only source is the text written in the Franquin episodes...

Should be possible to model in pianoteq by combining the harp and an emulation of a alphorn using the forthcoming organteq