Topic: Problem running Pianoteq 6 on Odroid XU4

Hi all:

Like many other Pianoteq users, I would really like to have an unobtrusive, standalone, and easily portable box running Pianoteq.  With that in mind, I've been trying to get the ARM version of Pianoteq 6 running on an Odroid XU4 for about a month now.

I first tried running it (without success) on Ubuntu MATE desktop and most recently on DietPi, by following forum-member LuBa's instructions (posted on another thread) that he used with his Odroid C2.  Like LuBa, my ultimate goal is to have Pianoteq boot and run without the distraction of a full-time display and to control it using the VNC remote desktop to change settings when necessary.  Unlike LuBa, during the process of trying to get it working, I have been using a 1080p HDMI display directly connected to the XU4.  Using both distros and running Pianoteq in a terminal window, I get the error message:  "ERROR: System doesn't support 32, 24, or 16 bit RGB display."  When I run the fbset command I get the result "...geometry 1920 1080 1920 3240 32..." which indicates the framebuffer is allocating 32 bits/pixel.

I am not a total Linux newbie, having worked with Unix back in the 1980's and 90's, and in the last few years I have succeeded in getting a MythTV box up and running after a fair amount of sometimes frustrating tinkering.  That said, I make absolutely no claims to being an expert either.  I'll gladly admit that my approach is usually to try what I'm familiar with and if and when that fails, to Google around until I find a solution.  So far, Googling this RGB display error has gotten me exactly nowhere.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or help any of you may have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Problem running Pianoteq 6 on Odroid XU4

This is an error message from JUCE, which is the graphical toolkit used for Pianoteq, you can find it in this file: https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/blob/...dowing.cpp . Maybe the output of the xdpyinfo command will shed some light

Hi iPeaks!

Just an idea, did you try to use VNC in dietpi?

By default, it runs on a virtual separate screen :1 that uses software rendering. Might help to localize whether the problem has something to do with the XU4's graphics driver.

Julien and LuBa:

Thank you both for your responses.

I found a post on a JUCE forum where a guy described having no problem running JUCE remotely on an Odroid C-1 (using xrdp remote desktop), but when run directly on the console, it produced the same error I've been getting about the system not supporting 32, 24, or 16 bit RGB displays.

Last night, as an experiment, I tried editing my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to specify a color depth of 16 bits (it was set to 24 bits), and lo and behold Pianoteq worked, running directly from a terminal window.  The display, not unexpectedly I guess, was a complete mess of strange colors and pretty hard to read, but it did work.  I don't yet understand why it doesn't work with the normal 24-bit color depth and will keep on working to try to figure that out.

LuBa, I do plan to ultimately to do exactly what you've done with Pianoteq running headless via VNC and like you've found, I have a strong suspicion that it will work just fine in that environment.  Thanks for your writeup on how you did that as it's been big help to me in getting as far along as I have.

I'll update this thread if I have any new results to report.

Cheers!

Hello, I'm thinking of buying an Odroid XU4, what audio interface do you use?
I've seen there is not audio output.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

With current odroid official image you can get rid off the error by creating a screen like this in

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-screen.conf

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen Section"
        Device "<default device>"
        Monitor "<default monitor>"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Viewport 0 0
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Link:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?...p;t=28766#

You don't need an X server on your Odroid. If you ssh into your device with the parameter ssh -X, you can start any GUI software and it will be shown on the client (provided your ssh server is configured to forward X, which it usually is). Once you're pleased with the settings, you can start pianoteq in --headless mode. I'm using pianoteq like this on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Is the performance of Pianoteq on Odroid XU4 acceptable to you? Can you use a 44.1kHz sample rate?

Last edited by jonne (02-10-2018 22:30)

jonne wrote:

You don't need an X server on your Odroid. If you ssh into your device with the parameter ssh -X, you can start any GUI software and it will be shown on the client (provided your ssh server is configured to forward X, which it usually is). Once you're pleased with the settings, you can start pianoteq in --headless mode. I'm using pianoteq like this on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Is the performance of Pianoteq on Odroid XU4 acceptable to you? Can you use a 44.1kHz sample rate?

Slightly off topic but still in same area of small computing.
@jonne, what Pianoteq performance are you getting out of the Raspberry Pi 3B+? Just curious and also what settings, polyphony, sample rates are you running? Any overclocking? plus is it just standard raspbian? Is it same as the raspberry pi FAQ pdf for setup. 

@others: What Pianoteq performance do you get out of the Odriod XU4?

I ask as I have just started building a PiSound based Pi3B+. All in the name of having a low power silent Pianoteq set up. I have gone for PiSound as it has DAC and midi in the same PiHAT.

@bendy, I installed Pianoteq Stage on a Volumio image, because I also use my Pi as a music server. Volumio is also Debian server based. Performance isn't great, though. I'm not overclocking and limit the sample rate to 22k to avoid hiccups.
That's why I'm now considering the XU4 with a USB dac (as it seems to be impossible to use a I2S based sound card with this board)

thanks jonne. I will see how I get on with the PiSound and postback my findings.

Last edited by bendy (03-10-2018 13:59)