Topic: Velocity adjustement on the QRS PNOscan midi strip

I'm actually creating a digital piano by placing a QRS PNOscan midi-strip on a grand piano action. It works well using Piano Teq. But it's hard to have an equal velocity on the entire keyboard. That's mainly due to the fact that lower keys are heavier thus inducing less speed and consequently lower velocity. QRS has provided me with the Winnessie PNOscan 23 Midi 9software to adjust individually the velocity of each note. I have problem using it. I need help. Did somebody have ever work with that software ?

Thanks

Jean

Re: Velocity adjustement on the QRS PNOscan midi strip

Yes, Sigasa. If he doesn't pipe up shortly, means he's currently reading elsewhere, and you'll need to get his attention by email.

I'm no expert on MIDI retrofit systems. But I guess I have a idea about the problem.

The key velocity issues in digital pianos are one thing. And real weight (heavy or light touch) in real grand piano keyboar/actions are another thing.

I supose you think the bass range in this particular piano action it's heavy, and you want to make it feel lighter. But these are diferente things and you cannot really get this exactly as you imagine.  You can only get some compensation, but the keyboard/action will always be heavy, despite you try to make it easir to reach F or FFF by compensating the MIDI signal response.

One solution would be you act in the real problem itself, the weight of the keayboard/action. A idea would be call a piano technician to try to rebalance the action, change the lead weights, recalibrate it to make it really lighter.

I supose PNOscan software have a key by key velocity curve adjust, that culd be helpful. But like I said, it's only one compensation since the Keys will always be heavy unless you change the lead weights and reacalibrate the mechanics of it.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-10-2014 13:37)

custral wrote:

Yes, Sigasa. If he doesn't pipe up shortly, means he's currently reading elsewhere, and you'll need to get his attention by email.

Hi Jean,

I had similar problems setting up PNOscan. I gave up in the end
Note I wasn't installing into a piano but a digital keybed which had it's own inherent problems.

It might be worth contacting your country's QRS rep to ask for further help/advise.

Hope this helps,

Kindest Regards,

Chris