Topic: Best Pianoteq Instrument in 6.1.1 - Grotrian vs Bluethner

Hi there,

I was wondering what's your favorite Pianoteq instrument in this latest version of Pianoteq
I have Pianoteq STAGE version so not too much options to tweak around with the pianos I am heavily relying on the presets provided by Pianoteq.

I don't produce music etc I just play for myself and family, my favorite Artists are for instance:
-Chopin
-Yann Tiersen
-Fabrizio Paterlini
-Ludovico Einaudi

Specifically I'm looking for a piano that goes VERY well with CHOPIN pieces since I do own many other sample based pianos like American Concert D, Ravenscroft 275, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Alicia Keys - So one of these usually flows pretty well with Tieren or Einaudi pieces.
However NOTHING comes close to the playability of Pianoteq.

For the Chopin pieces I'm debating between the Grotrian (especially the intimate preset) or the Bluethner. I feel the Grotrian can be used for more pieces than the Bluethner and the intimate settings makes the Grotrian very soft.
However the Bluethner is very warm and mellow and kind of perfect for Nocturnes. I'm playing always with Headphones (Audio Technika ATH M50x)

Again I'm heavily relying on ready-to-go presets, so which one would you recommend for me?

Re: Best Pianoteq Instrument in 6.1.1 - Grotrian vs Bluethner

Obviously, I cannot make a definitive recommendation between Grotrian or Blüthner, because which ever one I would recommend, there will be credible reasons for selecting the other piano as well.

So you are able to decide for yourself, here is what I might recommend:

Drag and drop a midi file of your OWN making to the Pianoteq application, and switch between various presets of both the Blüthner AND the Grotrian piano models ... as they are playing the midi file you have dropped in to hear.  Then, take a deep breath and make your own decision!  Let your ears be your guide, and be sure to do this with both headphones and your current audio setup.  If you do not own either piano model, consider doing this little mini experiment from the demo versions of both pianos.

Hope this helps,

Joe

My opinion will not help at all, but here it goes: buy both of them.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Although Bluethner is still the best piano model in Pianoteq in my opinion, but I think its short attack and metallic character isn't very suitable for Romantic music like Chopin. Steinways and Grotrian are great for that. For Yann Tiersen I always use K2. Anyway, f*ck my opinion, just use your ears.

Last edited by Ross (20-03-2018 19:26)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I agree with Joe re listening to rendered midi files you have created and trusting to your ears, preferably pieces that display different moods, dynamics, keys etc. They don't have to be long or note perfect. I would however add the Steinway D to the Grotrian and the Bluethner. (I love all of them) The D is better than ever and may be more versatile across your whole repertoire. Also, leave it a day or two and listen again. If your view has shifted, repeat until your reaction is more certain. Our ears can deceive on first listening. In any case, you have some wonderful pianos to choose from.

Both sound great, you cannot go wrong.
You can't say there is a winner between them.
I have these 2 models and like them.
In the Bluthner, my favorite preset is the Model One BA; on the Grotrian I find the Grotrian Player very immersive with headphones.

Thanks all for your replies!
Very helpful, I'm gonna try with the midi files like you mentioned!

Thanks!

Just for fun, I've [freeze] all the parameters of the Bluethner Model One BA onto the Grotrian Concert Royal and got a nice little Bosendorfer.

Last edited by DonSmith (20-03-2018 22:34)

If anybody interested, got the Grotrian <3

It's subjective. Try them out - after all you can try any instruments in demo mode for the first 20 minutes (and if you need longer restart). That's the best way. Sorry if I'm repeating what others already said. Too lazy to read the whole thread.

3/2 = 5