Topic: Home or stage digital pianos which have an external audio input?

So my idea is: buy a fairly cheap second-hand digital piano and plug in Pianoteq to use the piano's internal amp and speakers. But, I don't know which models have an external input. Does anybody know of any? Of course it needs MIDI out too (or USB, but that's not there on older pianos).

I used to have a Yamaha P-150, and that did have audio input, so they do exist.

Last edited by andyi (21-03-2018 02:05)

Re: Home or stage digital pianos which have an external audio input?

Most but the cheapest do. My Yamaha P-140 did. So did my old Clavinova. But the results are lacklustre. Unless you buy an expensive cabinet piano that already sounds really good, you are much better off with external speakers. Even my Bose Sounddock II that I scored from an op-shop for $15 sounds way better than either the P-140 or the Clavinova speakers did.

3/2 = 5

But if you really must have i think all the Casio PX series, except the 160 have stereo line-in. And they have decent action for the money.

Last edited by SteveLy (23-03-2018 17:39)
3/2 = 5

I have a studiologic Numa compact 2,
It does not have line-in, but it does have USB-audio. So I use the Numa compact 2 as midi controller and audio interface. I can play pianoteq and the internal sounds of the piano simultaneously. I really like this setup.
One drawback is that the speakers are useless, but I play through my headphones most of the time and I have a pair of Kurzweil monitors so this is no problem.

I get the idea here, but based on the quality of sound emanating from any digital piano I've ever heard (ESPECIALLY the cheap ones) I wouldn't really put any effort or money into making this happen. I'd think you'd be a thousand times better off with a modest set of monitors, which are always handy to have around anyway