Topic: Embed the preset in Standalone recorder MIDI file ?

Bonjour,
During an impro session with Pianoteq Standalone, I often change presets.
Is it possible to embed the preset in each midi file so that I can retrieve my settings when I load the midi files in Reaper ?
Merci !

Re: Embed the preset in Standalone recorder MIDI file ?

+1 for this request. Surely many of us come up with musical ideas that are inspired by, or just sound particularly good on a certain preset, and it would be great to have the presets embedded in the recorded midi file.

If I'm not wrong, the presets should respond to a program change.
Did you try to insert manualy the right program change in the begining of your midi file, with the midi event editor in your DAW?

Last edited by stamkorg (19-03-2018 16:51)

stamkorg wrote:

If I'm not wrong, the presets should respond to a program change.

Where can I find this program change ?

Did you try to insert manualy the right program change in the begining of your midi file, with the midi event editor in your DAW?

That is precisely because I want to avoid these maneuvers in my DAW that I wish the preset to be embedded in the MIDI file.
If I load a whole MIDI session with different presets into Reaper I don't know which is what anymore

How it works:

- In Pianoteq, click OPTIONS

- Go into MIDI

- You see "Midi mapping global"

- Make "Insert", you will see a new midi line.

- Click on "invalid" and select a Program change, for example, "Program change 25"

-Just at the right side, click and select "load preset"

- Just at the right side, click and select the preset you want to associate with the code "Program change 25"

- Save the midi mapping. When this is done, the preset you choose is associated with the Program change 25.

- Now, I think the only possible way to do what you want is to edit your midi file to insert in it a "Program change 25" at his begining. When it will play, the right preset should be selected. You can do that using a DAW. You can have a different program change for every preset.

I hope this helped,

If it is not clear, send me a pm in french.

Good luck

Last edited by stamkorg (19-03-2018 21:20)

Thanks Stamkorg, it's very clear !
Sounds like a major starting point towards the solution !

Many MIDI keyboards have buttons that send MIDI Program Change commands to their internal sound banks to select specific patches/programs (piano or organ), and those keyboards can usually be configured to send or relay the Program Change commands through a MIDI Out or USB MIDI cable connected to a computer or other device.

If you click the RECORD button in Pianoteq, and then press a Program Change button on your MIDI keyboard, the Program Change will be inserted into the MIDI recording in Pianoteq (check the list of MIDI commands received by Pianoteq, in Options --> MIDI to confirm that Pianoteq is receiving the Program Change MIDI message). If that Program Change number is mapped to load a Pianoteq Preset (Options —> MIDI — MIDI mapping), then every time the recorded or saved MIDI file is played back, the embedded MIDI Program Change will load the preset it is mapped to.

If a person uses a MIDI keyboard that does not have buttons to change sounds (such as a Kawai VPC1), footswitches can be used instead, connected by MIDI cable to the MIDI IN port of the keyboard (and relayed to the MIDI THROUGH or MIDI OUT or USB ports). Here are two such footswitches—

Tech 21 MIDI Mouse—
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effec...mouse.html

Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose—
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effec...goose.html

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (20-03-2018 17:19)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq