Topic: PT 6.1.1 playback sounds better than realtime playing?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought PT 6.1.1 stage and I'm very happy with it. Sounds are realistic and on par with sample libraries (I own a Yamaha AvantGrand N1). There is one issue that is bothering me a bit. I'm feeding the pianoteq audio stream back into my N1 to use it's speakers.

In this post: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5289
I read about the issue with the Avantgrand series and PT, which is that it is engineered around the built-in yamaha sample sounds (which is completely logical). If I play using pianoteq, the sound from the speakers is very muffled and soft, much softer than the Yamaha sounds.

However, if I replay a segment I played from pianoteq, the sound is just fine, much fuller and noticeably louder.. I know that probably, the internal sounds are multi-channel, whereas the pianoteq sound from my laptop is in stereo.

Does anyone have some advice?

Btw if I play using headphones, I don't have this problem.

Re: PT 6.1.1 playback sounds better than realtime playing?

I had a similar experience feeding Pianoteq into a Clavinova.  My best guess is that the Yamaha "presets" are specially eq'd for the Yamaha amplifier and speaker characteristics, which are likely not nearly as neutral as the monitor speakers that most of us employ. I know that you can make Pianoteq sound better on the AvanteGrand, but it will take some work.

- David

Re: PT 6.1.1 playback sounds better than realtime playing?

what sort of sound stage/mic setup in pianoteq are you using?  i'd suggest experimenting with placing virtual perfect omnis (or cardios?) in the same relative spatial position as the speaker arrangement of your N1 and see what happens...
if you try this, then do please post your results!

Matthieu 7:6