Topic: Just download version? No box version?

Hello~
I plan to buy the Pianoteq6 Pro.
I can not find box version. Is'nt there box version instead of download version?
Because my place's wifi condition is no good. I worry about error occur when I download it...
So, How many GB of the download version?
  Thank you!

Last edited by DONNY (18-02-2018 01:44)

Re: Just download version? No box version?

The downloads for this are very modest because there aren't gigs of samples. All the sound is generated with maths. Unless there's something different about the pro version (which I don't use) the package should be under 50Mb, if I remember correctly. It's under 60Mb installed

It's a very small download, even with extra instrument packs.  Total download (on Linux) is just 44 MB plus about 10 MB more for the free extras ( MB not GB !).

The reason for this is simply that sound is synthesized using physics (maths) and not sound samples (which is where those sampled instruments are a pain).

All the instruments are included in the application as well, it's just that they are locked until you purchase an unlock code.  You can try them all in demo mode along side the instruments you actually purchase.

All in a tiny download - the last version I downloaded was just 44 MB !  Yes, that's "megabyte" not "gigabyte".

Also remember to download the great free instruments when you have your purchase - that's another 9 MB for the lovely KViR historic pianos and keyboards, and another 1 MB for the bells package.

If you ever purchase new instruments (and you probably will - it's hard to resist)  they are unlocked - no large download needed for those either.

You can register your new Pianoteq version using either email or online, and it's a pretty simple operation that does not require any special hi-speed internet connection.  Once registered, you're done unless you want to download updates (which so far have been consistently appearing from the Modartt team).  If you have any problem with registration you'll find that Modartt are usually very helpful in sorting out any problems - I think most users (like me) have been impressed by the support as much as by the product itself.

Note that if you are considering versions, the Stage, Standard and Pro versions all produce the same sound and use the same instrument presets.  What differs is the level of customization you can achieve.  With Standard you can adjust microphones and tune extensively and unless you have very, very specific sound requirements there is no need to get Pro (which does have more detailed sound customization, but you really need to have a good idea what you're doing before diving in).  I'd recommend Standard and then upgrade to Pro later if you feel the need, unless you are sure you need Pro.  Stage lacks microphone placement support and tuning options and I recommend those, as well as some of the other options Stage supports over Standard.  I started with Stage and upgraded later to Standard and while I love tweaking sound, there's loads of options in Standard and I just lack the technical knowledge (and ear !) to exploit Pro properly anyway.

Incidentally Pianoteq Standard and Pro can use impulse reverb files (but have decent internal reverb options as well - I particularly like the new Piano Room 1 & 2 options), and the impulse reverb files I use are a 500 MB download compared with Pianoteq's mere 44 MB.  Pianoteq is tiny !

StephenG

Okay a little levity now ... a box version would not be necessary anyway.  It could just be a bar code on a postcard!

Lanny

LOL

LTECpiano wrote:

Okay a little levity now ... a box version would not be necessary anyway.  It could just be a bar code on a postcard!

Lanny

zandurian wrote:

LOL

LTECpiano wrote:

Lanny

Actually, if you really needed a box, the download could be a bar code or code stamp on the address label and the box could just be empty.  You could get any size box you want!

;p)

Lanny

sjgcit wrote:

It's a very small download, even with extra instrument packs.  Total download (on Linux) is just 44 MB plus about 10 MB more for the free extras ( MB not GB !).

So it would fit on no more than 38 pieces of 3.5 inch floppy disks....
;-)

LTECpiano wrote:

Lanny

You were close...I live in Japan ...they are very behind the times when it comes to technology...I got a box version. Let's enjoy this adventure together.

Front of the box

https://i.imgur.com/O2pW1M4.jpg

Back of the box

https://i.imgur.com/1Vj3gaW.jpg

Empty DVD case with a piece of paper with the serial code on it. Yay Japan.

https://i.imgur.com/OMoPia8.jpg

Last edited by philipawalker (23-11-2018 07:01)

philipawalker wrote:

I live in Japan ...they are very behind the times when it comes to technology...

I literally cannot believe these words even.

Hard work and guts!

philipawalker wrote:

I live in Japan

Ok

philipawalker wrote:

they are very behind the times when it comes to technology...

Not.

Last edited by music_guy (25-11-2018 05:25)

While the lead researchers on technology are quite advanced, the average population in Japan is extremely far behind. They still use fax machines in all businesses, no one knows what a scanner is, many people cannot open files over 5MB in size, and a majority of people don't have internet or computers at home. People use cash everywhere, credit cards are just now starting to be used, and even if a store does accept them, it takes a ridiculously long time to process them, making cash quicker to use. It was a real shock when I got here...especially the fax machines.

This is the reason for pianoteq having a boxed version in Japan...if there was no boxed version, people wouldn't even realize it existed.

Last edited by philipawalker (25-11-2018 06:06)

Still have my (little dusty) boxed v4 too

I see they didn't update the picture ^^

https://kipy.be/barda/pianoteq_box_1.png
https://kipy.be/barda/pianoteq_box_2.png
https://kipy.be/barda/pianoteq_box_3.png

I downloaded the updates

Last edited by kipy (25-11-2018 18:58)