Topic: Home setup (sound, acoustic, amps) for practice with Pianoteq

Hi,
I'm looking for good acoustic setup for small room.
For now I'm play with Pianoteq in headphones, it's awesome, but for me more comfortable to play and sing with speakers.
I am beginner/intermidiate player and sing in a choir so general purpose - piano and vocal practice.

I'm find three categories of acoustics that suitable for keyboard:
1. Keyboard amplifiers like BEHRINGER KT 108 ULTRATONE or VOX VX50KT
2. PA (Public Address) Systems ??? for example EUROLIVE B205D (which has great feedback), I seen one at music school
3. Studio Monitors like KRK ROCKIT 6 or MACKIE MR5 or Genelec 8010 AWM or any other

Please recommend or share you experience for home/small studios setups.

Last edited by Vitaly (22-01-2018 23:35)

Re: Home setup (sound, acoustic, amps) for practice with Pianoteq

Microlab Solo-2 mk3
https://market.yandex.ru/product--micro...mk3/936041

"Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy"...
'would definitely go with studio monitors.  experiment as well with using them directed upward instead of focused toward you.  good luck!

Matthieu 7:6

My speakers Solo2 have a little bit of a cardboard sound.

Friends from recording studio recommends monitors for home use.

Reasons:
PA Systems so-so for piano, but may be good for singing and monitoring (piano also, but sound average)
Amp - good for playing with band, but sound also not best (or very expensive). Also they do not recommend to buy cheap and low powered, because it do not have suitable purposes (you can't play loud with team, and not good quality for home usage)
Monitors - are ok, not for playing with friends in band or on stage, but for home perfect. So... Pretty expensive if compare to cheap amp, but anyway. Like _DJ_ said...

So, will try...

personally, I prefer headphones or a quality powered speaker like the QSC K8.2 or Electro-Voice ZXA1. good studio monitors will be more accurate, but those powered speakers will push more air in a way that to me feels more piano-like. they give a nice big sound, while being almost as good as studio monitors.

Recently, I have gotten into the habit of augmenting my headphones with my M&K powered subwoofer while practicing with Pianoteq 6.  This drives my wife nuts, but when she is not around, I enjoy the visceral feeling the powered subwoofer imparts to the piano's feel, when practicing with AKG K702 headphones.

Cheers,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Recently, I have gotten into the habit of augmenting my headphones with my M&K powered subwoofer while practicing with Pianoteq 6.  This drives my wife nuts, but when she is not around, I enjoy the visceral feeling the powered subwoofer imparts to the piano's feel, when practicing with AKG K702 headphones.

Cheers,

Joe

Cool idea!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

I am never able to get loudspeaker sound as good as with good quality headphones. A lot of that comes down to room acoustics more than the equipment. On a budget I'd recommend a basic clean stereo amp and a pair of good quality speakers, not monitors. Two pairs of speakers is even better but you want to be able control the mix between them. Good monitors cost a lot more than regular speakers. I use a pair of 5" two-way Bowers & Wilkins (aka B&W). Used to have a four-speaker setup when I had more space.

If you have the space to move the speakers and/or piano keyboard about, experiment with placement. Ideally you want all speakers at least half a metre from any solid walls. If that's not feasible, consider using acoustic insulation on the walls behind the speakers.

I wouldn't recommend keyboard amp for home use. On stage, it's very much a venue dependent thing: plug it in the mix, BYO amp/cabinet, or both.

3/2 = 5