Topic: MIDI file needed for demos of ARM-based Pianoteq setups

Hello all,

in the last weeks I successfully got Pianoteq running on a Raspberry 3 and also on an ASUS Tinkerboard, in the graphical shell as well headlessly. I'm very happy with both hardware options, it's enough for my daily practice, but especially the Raspi setup won't be enough for public performance. The Tinkerboard is only running since yesterday, my first experience is that it doesn't have the most obvious problems of the slower Raspi, but I'll see.

I'm using the ARM boards either with an Hifiberry AMP2 and two Braun speakers from the sixties (those are my main hifi speakers for a long time, I really like their direct sound), or with Sony MDR-7506 headphones, the Raspi with an USB audio interface (actually an Zoom H5 set into audio interface mode), the Tinkerboard has very decent onboard audio.

I'd like to post recordings comparing different options, Raspi 3/Tinkerboard, headless/GUI, GUI on screen/GUI remotely, different sample rates etc. As I'm not a very good piano player (I used to play jazz piano more seriously 25 years ago) I would like to ask everyone if you have suggestions for an appropriate MIDI file to make those recordings. The MIDI files obviously need to be freely usable for this.

Thanks
erik

Re: MIDI file needed for demos of ARM-based Pianoteq setups

Try the files from the Piano e-Competition. The midi xp ones are even higher resolution if you need to test that.
http://www.piano-e-competition.com/midi_2011.asp

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking more for some shared ideas about a "stress-testing", but at the same time realistic performance to demonstrate the border capacities of Pianoteq on ARM for people interested. I'd love to have listened to sample of PI3 and Tinkerboard setups.

I think we should build a non musical MIDI file for stress tests... could be using only white notes to test the demo version.
Could be glissandi of increasing speed with pedal down, or tremoli at the bass section of the keyboard... I don't know.
I always wonder why Pianoteq used to run so smoothly on a entry level pentium 2020m with Ubuntu Studio and get some pops in Windows 10/ ASIO4all with on an i7 4710mq, very superior cpu... if we standarize a stress test, we could compare different CPUs / OS.
Any extra idea?

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:

I always wonder why Pianoteq used to run so smoothly on a entry level pentium 2020m with Ubuntu Studio and get some pops in Windows 10/ ASIO4all with on an i7 4710mq, very superior cpu... if we standarize a stress test, we could compare different CPUs / OS.
Any extra idea?

A Windows problem maybe?
Some linux distributions have low latency or realtime kernels build from scratch for audio/video purpose.
I use now a distrib called Librazik. It is Debian derived. With the realtime kernel (very easy to install because it is in the repositories) it is absolutely stable as a rock, really more than Ubuntu Studio that has only a low latency kernel.
I never had success in my attempts to achieve a 100% stable system under Windows even after hours of optimization. There was always some processes beginning to run some times causing dropouts. And I tested 3 soundcards (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 usb, Zoom uac-2 usb and a RME HDSPe AIO PCIe). So I really think it is not a driver but an os problem.