Topic: 2001 Odyssey piano.

2001 a Space Odyssey, I watched this movie some few times, but I had never noticed they had a digital piano in Discovery spaceship:

PunBB bbcode test

http://community.foundry.com/discuss/to...ID=1042764

Wonder how sci-fi digital technology sounds...

PunBB bbcode test

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98119905@N07/27793140994

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-01-2018 00:39)

Re: 2001 Odyssey piano.

Cool! It's a while since I saw that film, I never noticed it either. The keyboard action looks a bit flimsy, though...

I found a Flickr page with many screen captures. Here we can see just a bit of the piano, if we search carefully. It's easy if you seach for a black squared bench, since all the other seatas are tall chairs. Here the captures. The piano console with squared chair is always in the oposed side of the large lunch table:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2001archive/17294643482/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2001archive/17296064961/

Left Lower of frame https://www.flickr.com/photos/2001archive/17108724078/

We can see a bit in this video. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gItDrzQEw

If you remamber the film, a idea to overload Hall 9000 would be run pianote on it in 15 instances, and put the most perfectionist forist to complain about.

dazric wrote:

Cool! It's a while since I saw that film, I never noticed it either. The keyboard action looks a bit flimsy, though...

dazric wrote:

The keyboard action looks a bit flimsy, though...

Dang!!!  To my eyes, this keyboard was taken from an electronic organ of the day, rather than from a piano, electric or otherwise.

This keyboard looks as though it was thrown together from a Hammond Organ Model H, by noting the cheesiness of the notes.  However, a Hammond Model H's key range is only 61 notes (5 octaves); this particular un-pianolike piano's key range is 85 notes instead of the usual standard 88 notes.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  The shape of these notes is NOT the normal Waterfall-type notes of a Hammond B-3.  Also, Hammond's were "cheapened up" starting in 1965, probably around the same time that 2001 Space Odyssey was being filmed prior to public release a few years later.

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (16-01-2018 21:39)

Neither i do. Maybe it have some cosmic technology or something like that?

One pianoteq license for who discover how they did the effect in 1968 ?

PunBB bbcode test

Mewski wrote:

Neither i do. Maybe it have some cosmic technology or something like that?

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-02-2018 14:10)

Beto-Music wrote:

One pianoteq license for who discover how they did the effect in 1968 ?

This is one  of a series of fx shots done by filming small scale chemical behaviours at high speed and magnification. To quote this youtube documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EKreQ5...&t=953

youtube wrote:

Kubrick shot them in a small dark room in New York City before the production
left for England. In order to make these massive cosmic events, he dripped
small amounts of lacquer and paints on water. They were shot with a macro
lens and none of these were larger than a pack of cigarettes.

[2001 cinematographer] John Alcott says they used a big black tin about
the size of a table, filled with black ink and banana oil:

"We had so much light coming onto it," says Alcott, "and the intensity was
so great, that we had to shoot it quickly because the radiant
heat would boil the ink. We would take a matchstick or a toothpick and dip it
into this white paint, and let it drop into the center of the tin. It was like
dropping paint into thinners. As soon as you dropped it into the black ink it
would shoot off in different areas. We photographed this at high speed, at
96 frames per second in reverse, so that instead of it dispersing away from the
camera it would look as if it was coming toward the camera. It was simple but
very effective because you could put a white spot, and then a little red
on top of the white, and get a build-up of different colours."

Christiane Kubrick: "I remember these large trays with black water, smelly,
and Stanley leaning over them and dribbling inks and oily things and lacquers
onto the surface, and they exploded in the most beautiful way. And he loved
these shapes! They were very organic and in fact they followed the same
physical law as presumably the cosmos does, and so he was very excited."

pt Standard will be fine ;-D

Last edited by petez9 (19-03-2018 03:23)

Kind of same effects I did in school 1979 - 1988 with children using an overhead projector and putting on a bowl of glass with water. In the water putting potassium permanganate (kaliumpermanganat in swedish), gave blue color, fuchsin, gave red color. And other chemicals gave different colors. The heat from lamp and a bit sodium bicarbonate made chemicals/water move. Used the fantastic effect first time when listening to Grieg  Morning mood. Tried to make my teaching interesting for pupils. After some time they wanted to listen to classical music more and more.
Ptq YC5  :-)

I know several effect was similar to the space galaxies and space clouds of Superman 1978.  But this speciofic shot was probably different. Was the only one not explained in a old book about 2001 A Space Odyssey.
It was just told they went to a old factory of pantyhouse or something like that.

It looks too direct, straight, to be a simple chemical reaction ;

PunBB bbcode test

@Beto-Music  ”It looks too direct, straight, to be a simple chemical reaction”
In fact, in my opinion, it could be/was a chemical reaction, like my simple experiment. Reading from Google  -  2001 a space odyssey visual effects - ”Chemical reactions were shot in a tank of water to create organic fluids and the effects of exploding stars…” And if they went to factory of pantyhouse, they needed water and probably got it.
Unfortunately, i didnt think of filming my experiment with children in school at that time…..

The bright center don't change size, considering the camera should be going closer the reaction to get a so straigh "stars coming through". In the film this effect lasted several seconds, and the "stars" moving looked perfect.
There is someting else...
I wish today they could made a movie without CGI, using just older technics, and try to get a great result. CGI use it's abusive today.

If you could recreate it exactly, and compose a nice score, and it get many views on youtube, as a video of recreating FX for 2001 Odyssey, as there is a new blu ray coming, maybe Modartt can give a YC5. Unfortunatelly I don't have how give.

I only did a question, when I proposed the idea of a gift for someon could fing a answer.

Anyway thanks a lot for the video link.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

@Beto-Music  ”It looks too direct, straight, to be a simple chemical reaction”
In fact, in my opinion, it could be/was a chemical reaction, like my simple experiment. Reading from Google  -  2001 a space odyssey visual effects - ”Chemical reactions were shot in a tank of water to create organic fluids and the effects of exploding stars…” And if they went to factory of pantyhouse, they needed water and probably got it.
Unfortunately, i didnt think of filming my experiment with children in school at that time…..

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-03-2018 16:15)

Wait a second...  I found the answer... Eureka !!!

Do you remamber thew movie Jaws, the scene when Roy Scheider character get a kind of vertigo/scared/surprised, when he is sit on the beach and found there is a shark atacking people ?

https://youtu.be/rW23RsUTb2Y?t=119

It's the same effect used a lot in the movie The Quick and the Dead (1995) during the duel scenes .
It's made with camera moving out and soon lenses trying to keep the characters n the same size on frame. This combination of moving the camera out (away) combined with soon lenses tring to move in, gives a nice effect. It can also be like camera moving on (closer) and soon lenses moving out, like did in Jaws.

I believe this was a "reaction" on a water thank, a ver large and deep one, shoot in high camera speed, with the camera shooting moving the film in oposite direction to project like a reversed start/end) and using the same effect of Jaws. The camera move away and the soon lenses try to keep the same size for the bright center of the "star hole" . This would explain why the "moving stars" moves so straight, so perfect.  That's why they moved to a olf factory to shot the particular effect, cause only nthis one would require a very large thank able to hold the came and depth perspectives in order to generate the ilusion of moving stars coming from a hole.

It could never be made in a small glass plate or a small thing, since it require dimension, depth, in scale for a camera capture it . Maybe it wasn't even a reaction, but just reflective particles in a thank, shining, or just fluorescent particles. The color and contrast could be altered on lab later.
But a question rises : How would the camera move inside a water thank without disrupt or disturb the water and disturb the direction of particles ("stars"), spoilling the "moving star effects" since it would generate turbulense on water and affet the "star points" ???
I imagine they put a glass barrier inside the water tank, to separate the camera from the chemical reaction.

Grotrian it's fine to me
:-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-03-2018 16:18)