Re: Organteq - new generation physically modelled pipe organ

Wait, Portal 2 as in the video game? It's awesome either way, CosmicD.

As a keyboard amateur with interest in pre-Classical music who would dearly love to see another clavichord, I have also wondered about the feasibility of organ physical models. OK, so may I request some BASIC information here? Is the idea that there will be a future completely separate application, called Organteq, which will operate separately from Pianoteq? Unlike other instrument packs, when I installed this free sample, it created a separate app, with essentially no controls, just play or not play. Took me a minute to get it to recognize my audio interface, but then it worked fine. Nice sound. Promising, although the lack of any extended bass meant unable to play even Bach inventions.

Thank you for a promising start, but please enlighten us as to what Modartt envisions for the future of Organteq?

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

oldionus wrote:

Is the idea that there will be a future completely separate application, called Organteq, which will operate separately from Pianoteq?

Yes, that is exactly the case.

Hard work and guts!

I am way more excited about Organteq than I reasonably should. Truth be told, I love pipe organ music, especially the Baroque stuff (think Bach). Actually the instrument I learned as a child was a two-manual electric organ with one-octave pedalboard, so ironically I used to be able to play stuff on that sad instrument I can't nowadays.

Welp. Getting a complete organ setup is out of the question anyway (those things are ridiculously expensive, holy heck, and huge), but should Organteq be affordable I might be tempted to get me a MIDI pedalboard and dust off some buried musical memories. In any case I do hope it's going to be a success; go and give Hauptwerk a thing or two to think about.

Last edited by kalessin (12-02-2018 16:48)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

kalessin wrote:

Welp. Getting a complete organ setup is out of the question anyway (those things are ridiculously expensive, holy heck, and huge)

Might be worth making friends with your local church folk. Worked for me. Play for them every now and again. Anglicans in my case with a lovely old-school Baroque style organ; they are a nice bunch and don't care that I'm not religious. They just appreciate the organ being played more often.

3/2 = 5

I am very excited about the new Organteq. I have only a couple of questions:
1) Will there be any other free edition before the commercial release?
2) Is there already a date for this commercial release?
Thank you.

So 6 months on I'm definitely intrigued to know what the progress on this is. Got my tonewheel organ physically modeled fix with GG Audio's Blue3, but a super rich church organ is missing from my toolkit !

After 5 years with Ptq, I have learned, that Modartt release every update and new instrument when they are ready. And it is always a nice surprise. I am sure everyone will enjoy the forthcoming release of Organteq when it is reday. Waiting again for a nice surprise.
Well, that’s what I think about it.

As a church musician, I play both piano and pipe organ.

This organ sound is excellent. Keep going in this direction Modartt.

It adds to the historic keyboard collection you already have. Much earlier music has this type of basic organ in ensembles.

I have used Hauptwerk for many years, but I prefer the sound quality that Modartt creates. I look forward to the expansion of the Alpha to a 61-note current standard organ keyboard as well as a 32 note pedal stop at 16'. The idea of 2-manual + pedal with this quality would be most useful.

I look forward to your development of the other flue tones: Principles & Strings. They are the most closely related pipes. Following that development the reed pipes will probably be the widest variety of tones and most complex.

Thank you for sharing this new product. It is very encouraging.

It's 2019 now and I would like to inquire, is there any progress report on Organteq ? Is a first version of the full product already a bit closer ? Because i'm very intreagued with it

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

I should let you guys know the recent information I received from the Focusrite support.

If using the Scarlett 1st Gen Solo, 2i2 and 2i4 interfaces, or any of the 2nd Gen interfaces, the current 4.x driver (4.36.4) should work fine.
The Scarlett team is currently working on updating the drivers to also make it work with 1st Gen 6i6, 18i8 or 18i20 interfaces.

Just a heads up - The latest beta version of the Scarlett drivers ( v1.10b3 - http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/ ) work like a charm with Organteq, and correctly detects the audio interface as an ASIO device.

Addendum: On updating to the latest drivers it seemed to rename the ASIO device from Focusrite Scarlett ASIO to Focusrite USB ASIO, which confused my DAWs as it listed two ASIO devices - with only the one named 'Focusrite USB ASIO' working. If you too have the same issue with two ASIO devices listed in you DAW(s) and you want to remove the old one from the list (and don't mind delving into the registry) go to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO\

You'll see two subfolders:

Focusrite Scarlett ASIO (the older driver)
Focusrite USB ASIO (the newer driver)

Delete the top (Focusrite Scarlett ASIO) subfolder

Last edited by mcbpete (03-02-2019 16:18)

With Pianoteq the brilliance of physical modelling shines through. Hauptwerk requires such great computing that I've avoided it.

The Viscount CM100 module demonstrates the usefulness of modelling and I think there's significant opening for modelled rather than sampled instruments.

Hammond drawbars are another arena - they are really instructive for illuminating the way in which tonality is constructed with harmonics so a useful emulation for teaching. It would also be interesting to hear the effect of the instrument were its  base to be in alternative temperaments.

Please feel free to post on www.organmatters.com

Best wishes and all encouragement

David Pinnegar

David Pinnegar wrote:

With Pianoteq the brilliance of physical modelling shines through. Hauptwerk requires such great computing that I've avoided it.

The Viscount CM100 module demonstrates the usefulness of modelling and I think there's significant opening for modelled rather than sampled instruments.

Hammond drawbars are another arena - they are really instructive for illuminating the way in which tonality is constructed with harmonics so a useful emulation for teaching. It would also be interesting to hear the effect of the instrument were its  base to be in alternative temperaments.

Please feel free to post on www.organmatters.com

Best wishes and all encouragement

David Pinnegar

Organteq has no commercial competition! What is certain is that the old Viscount CM100 is a precursor with which Organteq must compare.

The trend of Hauptwerk has always been wet/surround sampling, not dry! The instruments sampled closely are very few and only some of them are really usable. Today there are some very sophisticated denoising algorithms (iZotope RX7 Spectral Denoise, MAGIX SpectraLayers 5 Pro, etc.) to preserve the original recording quality but there is not a real commercial interest for close sampling (that interests more builders than performers). In short, a niche market where manufacturers generally do not sell their dry sampled sounds.

Think of Cameron Carpenter's International Touring Organ ( https://www.marshallandogletree.com/opu...ring-organ ).

Pianoteq has made tremendous progress over time and although I prefer to use Garritan CFX for greater organic sensation, Pianoteq remains more defined and focused on sound as such.

For me the pipe organ has a much greater development potential than the piano but currently the Alpha version of Organteq is not realistic enough. The biggest problem is a sound made with the mold. "The imperfections that characterize every single sound are missing". Of course we are all interested in seeing the product grow as it happened for Pianoteq ... and if Modartt has postponed the debut from 2018 to 2019 it means that they do not want to disappoint their customers!

We wait with confidence.

As an organist, I don't need more imperfections, I'm sick and tired of imperfections. Maybe Pianoteq should make it optional in a Organteq Pro?
BTW I've already tested Organteq in my church with an additional keyboard at our 2-man organ at it works flawlessly. Just what I needed for some French 3-manual pieces and the dry and direct sound is perfect, we already have reverb!