Topic: Syncing Pianoteq Audio to Video

I'm trying to record a video of my playing using pianoteq.  It's my first time trying this.  I recorded the video using an ipad (as default HEVC encoding). I then exported the midi recording of the performance to a .wav file.  Now I'm trying to replace the audio of the original video with the pianoteq rendered wav file.  I'm using iMovie and adjusted the start of the audio to match the video about perfectly.  BUT...I noticed as the video plays on, eventually toward the middle, the audio is out of sync again.  So it seems that the frame rate of the video somehow doesn't line up with the duration of the audio track.  It's not possible to keep it in sync for the entire recording.  Has anyone ever run into this problem? I'm not sure how to fix it.

Re: Syncing Pianoteq Audio to Video

I also tried rendering the audio at 48kHz, but it didn't make a difference. Still had the audio drifting problem relative to the video.  For now I just worked around the problem by shrinking the video by a few frames so it seemed to sync up both at the start and at the end.  I'm sure there is a more ideal way to avoid this problem.  I'm curious to know what others have done when recording videos.

I'm on a pc (windows 10).
so, not sure how much this will help.
I use SONY Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.
its the only program I found that would go down to small enough time increments, to sync it up good.
also, 48 kHz audio is a must.
it is a must for when you are syncing the video with the audio. (that step comes before rendering.)
the 48 kHz audio, makes the audio part into enough pieces, that you can sync it good with with your video.

if you understand what I am trying to say, the first part is that the Sony program was the only one that I could find, that does a global time increment in small enough pieces, to make good syncing possible.
and then the audio portion, still needs to be in 48 kHZ, to give you small enough audio pieces, to let you sync the audio with the video really good.

Last edited by chasmanian (03-01-2018 01:40)

What frame rate are you using for the video recording? I would use a whole frame number, like 24fps or 30fps. The old broadcast standard was 29.97fps, not 30, and this sounds like the kind of issue that happens with drift when you record at 29.97 but play back at 30.