Topic: Pianoteq 6 on Raspberry Pi 3

Dear Pianoteq users,

One of our customers, Edgar Bustamante, has created a thorough document on how to install Pianoteq 6 on a Raspberry Pi 3 unit.

Download: here

Re: Pianoteq 6 on Raspberry Pi 3

That is quite a well-written guide, thanks Edgar!

So Niclas, the Raspberry Pi 3 uses a quad-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex A53 CPU running the ARMv8-A 64-bit ISA.  That's the same ISA as used in iOS devices since the iPhone 5S and the iPad Mini 2 (the Apple A7).

According to Pianoteq's testing, would you say the Raspberry Pi version of Pianoteq runs comparably to Pianoteq running on an iPad Air or an iPad Air 2....?

Coincidence !
Every time I go into a place like Micro Center (Cambridge, Mass) I see raspberry Pi stuff and think about exactly this subject.
I was there again on Friday, which is why I came to the forum today - to see who had done what (& how) with this.

As much as anything I am interested in the PHYSICAL packaging and interface that would allow access to some of the pianoteq parameters - beyond merely selecting an instrument.

EDIT:
OK, a 7 inch touch screen - FINE, it looks like I can now make a shopping list.

Last edited by aandrmusic (06-11-2017 17:56)

Edgar,
According to the Suptronics web site the X400 is "coming soon" - - so my obvious question; Have you somehow managed to get a prototype, beta or pre release version ?

You're welcome tfort!

aandrmusic, I bought the X400 from Amazon. Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CFZYM … &psc=1

For others who may be "parts shopping", this appears to be the fan assembly described in Edgar's document;

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-iUnike … y+pi+3+fan

I may look for a larger touch screen than Edgar used, not yet sure on that.

One dream is to have a screen displaying sheet music, with page turning, etc.
A nice idea, but I don't(yet) play well enough to read and play.
This should probably be a separate device anyway.

Last edited by aandrmusic (10-11-2017 13:14)

Edgard, did you get a good perfomance?
Kind Regards, Marcos

marcos daniel wrote:

Edgard, did you get a good perfomance?
Kind Regards, Marcos

I, too, would like to learn what success people are having with building these devices. And some pictures and videos would be nice to see...

Hi Marcos Daniel,
I am currently running Pianoteq 6 at an internal sample rate of 48KHz, Host sample rate of 192KHz, Buffer size of 2048 samples (10.7 ms), Bit depth of 32 bits, and a Maximum Polyphony of 48. If I want more polyphony I can play with the settings and lower some things. This is what works for me and to my ear it sounds pretty good, just as if I'm using my laptop instead of a Raspberry Pi 3. I achieved these settings by overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3 CPU, check the tutorial to learn how to do this. Let me know if you all have questions or would a link to the parts listed in the tutorial.

Last edited by Edgar (19-11-2017 20:11)

My progress on this project has been very, very slow - other priorities, etc.

All the hardware arrived from Amazon yesterday and I realized that I didn't have a blank SD card, not wanting to overwrite any of the ones I have I rushed out to buy one.
Due to the approaching black Friday sales retailers are discounting EVERYTHING quite heavily this week and in my GREED to get more for less I bought a 128 Gig card for a little over $30.

BEWARE !
In my rush I formatted it with windows and it took me a long time to recognize that although I could copy the software to it the raspberry pi wouldn't boot because of the windoze default to format it to ex-fat.

On a Linux machine I reformatted it to fat32 using GParted - - and by the way set the boot flag, (not sure that I needed to).
I then extracted NOOBS directly to the SD card and of course it booted and I was able to install raspbian.

It won't connect to my wireless router (yet), so I have it connected with an Ethernet cable to do the update via apt-get, etc.

I bought a larger screen than Edgar suggested, ~11.2 inches.   
It still seems TINY compared to the 17.2 inch laptop that I am used to.

Hi aandrmusic, keep us posted on how it goes.

I'm extremely interested in this project. Looking at the X400 etc.

Also looking into the possibility of getting an integrated amp with built in usb DAC (other thread on this today) as part of this project.

Ultimately I'd love a Pi solution with minimal clutter - hence I also like the alternative idea of the X400 functioning as a basic integrated amp (and DAC) in one box. Any info on how decently the X400 is driving speakers directly would be great to hear.

Also keen to hear how others are getting on with their overclocking/performance.

GENERAL thoughts on this project;
1) There may be a tough learning curve for anyone who has a "Windows Only" background.
SOME Unix/Linux background is almost a requirement, so if you don't have ANY you should  probably get some help.
The command line syntax is probably bewildering to anyone used to cmd.

2) Edgar did a GREAT JOB with the initial document, I should have made this comment #1.

3) I am having a minor problem with the heat sink kit, basically the double sided adhesive tape just doesn't STICK to the chips and isn't strong enough to hold the heat sink and fans in any position other than on top.
I will search around for some sort of a thermally conductive adhesive later this week. 
There is no hurry for that until I start pumping significant POWER through it and I haven't bothered with overclocking (yet).

I also bought the Suptronics X 400 board, but I haven't connected it yet.
I know about the claims that high powered amps are "necessary" to handle transients, but I have no more intention of playing anything at anywhere near concert halls sound pressures, so I know that the x400 will put out ample power for my purposes.

Aandrmusic I suggest a SD card formatter in the tutorial in case you're having issues formatting the SD card. Also, I got used to the small display now. You can also connect a computer screen if you would like, as long as it has an HDMI connection or you buy an adapter from HDMI to whatever you need. Let me know if you all need any help with this project or need the links to the parts I used! I'm already thinking of also implementing this in a different board just for fun.

Edgar wrote:

I'm already thinking of also implementing this in a different board just for fun.

What Pianoteq Performance Index are you getting with the Raspberry Pi 3? I was thinking of doing this with the Odroid XU4.

When I compared GeekBench 2 benchmarks with the CPUs from Mossy's Benchmark thread - the Raspberry Pi 3 fell somewhere between 10-15, while the Odroid XU4/3 at 1.4 Ghz was around 30. The Intel i3-3227U was the closest in performance.

The main issue with the XU4 is the overheating. Apparently the stock 2GHz is over-clocked for the XU4 CPU and lowering the speed increases stability. I'm thinking lowering it to 1.5 Ghz with passive cooling will be stable and still be much faster than the Raspberry Pi 3.

Last edited by Groove On (24-11-2017 14:33)

I'm getting a performance index of 15 with the RP3 overclocked. I was thinking of using the UDOO X86 next but it's a little bit expensive (about 150 USD).

So it's taken me an evening to follow Edgar''s excellent instructions. I'm waiting a couple weeks for my x400 and the fans are coming tomorrow  Thus I have not overclocked yet.

I am outputting to hdmi with no conversion and so hoped to get the latency down as much as Edgar did. However I'm only down to about 10ms before the sound cracks up. The dac is going on inside my flat screen monitor. So that could be the problem? However it would be great to somehow be sure that cpu is indeed in performance mode and maxing out as per the shell script and the other commands in the instructions.

My other thought is about the touchscreen. When using a headless set up on my pc I was delighted to discover Splashtop,  an app that allowed me to use my Android tablet as a touchscreen for my pc. A little clunky but very convenient to use occasionally if you want to go headless most of the time. Problem is that this app doesn't work with Debian.  Does anyone know of an equivalent app that will work on Debian?

I'm pleased to have got this far and looking forward to improving performance and getting the x400 into some speakers.

First class work from Edgar. Thanks!

Thanks Whallsey! I'm glad to hear that! Don't worry, the DAC (X400) helps a lot with the latency issues, pops, and crackles. One way you can check that the CPU is in performance mode (at max CPU frequency at all times) is by going to the Pianoteq Settings and then to the Perf tab. In there, the CPU frequency should always be at 1200MHz (if you haven't overclocked it) at all times whether your playing anything or not. Once the CPU has been overclocked this frequency will change to your overclocked frequency.

Last edited by Edgar (24-11-2017 01:47)

I also thought about higher performance boards, but thought it only worthwhile for playing pieces that I am not ready for - and likely never will be.
I don't know how often I would use this to play very dense midi files (with a lot of pedal down), but unless/until the raspberry shows signs of overload I'll stay with it and probably not overclock.

If/when the PI needs to be replaced I might re-purpose it for sheet music display with page turning, etc.
That would require a bigger monitor.

Black Friday deal is 30% off the upgrade to PTQ Pro  - ~$133 in local currency for me, but given that I haven't yet upgraded to 6, which would cost me $39 ....Yeah, that looks like about $94 to move up to Pro (assuming I get to V6 with the upgrade).

That looks to be the same with Stage -> Standard,  i.e. 30% off AND a move to version 6.

Groove On wrote:
Edgar wrote:

I'm already thinking of also implementing this in a different board just for fun.

What Pianoteq Performance Index are you getting with the Raspberry Pi 3? I was thinking of doing this with the Odroid XU4.

When I compared GeekBench 2 benchmarks with the CPUs from Mossy's Benchmark thread - the Raspberry Pi 3 fell somewhere between 10-15, while the Odroid XU4/3 at 1.4 Ghz was around 30. The Intel i3-3227U was the closest in performance.

The main issue with the XU4 is the overheating. Apparently the stock 2GHz is over-clocked for the XU4 CPU and lowering the speed increases stability. I'm thinking lowering it to 1.5 Ghz with passive cooling will be stable and still be much faster than the Raspberry Pi 3.

I tried to run Pianoteq on a frend's ODROID XU4. It did not work at all. I'm afraid I did not copy the error message, but it was something about the display (I remember the word 'RGB').

Last edited by marcos daniel (26-11-2017 01:26)