Topic: Question:Can Pianoteq sound inaudible high-frequency sound?

The sound of Harpsichord in real world contains full of inaudible sound.
In a research by Ohashi, inaudible sound is called hypersonic and it gives our brains good effects.

I want to sound inaudible sound that has 50khz frequency or more.
I tried to sound inaudible sound by the free Harpsichord instrument,
but both of frequency and volume are not enough for me.

http://piccy.info/view3/11687342/f916fa...5ac6a2fd7/

So could someone who have the paid instruments like Harpsichord, please tell me how high do your instruments sound?

My Pianoteq is 6 pro.

Re: Question:Can Pianoteq sound inaudible high-frequency sound?

Wasting CPU on something nobody can ever hear (do you even have speakers that can reproduce frequencies above 20 kHz? You probably don't!) is incredibly stupid, so it's good that Pianoteq is not doing it.

Hard work and guts!

"Inaudible sound" means "inaudible high-frequency sound".
it doesn't mean "Inaudible low-volume sound".

Low volume means it's still audible to some extent, but that's not what I'm saying. Frequencies higher than what your ear can hear DOES mean it's inaudible. If your speakers cannot reproduce frequencies above 20 kHz (most can't, and those which can are extremely expensive, and they aren't going up to 50 kHz anyways, in most cases!), this all is a moot point.

Which speakers do you have? Read their specifications, you will likely see they cannot reproduce frequencies higher than 20-22 kHz or so. Just forget about this all.

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-10-2017 09:49)
Hard work and guts!

I am willing to believe that we can sense with acoustic instruments somehow sounds that are above our audible hearing, but as speakers and headphones don't operate that high, we cannot experience that sense via technology. I do have the PT Ruckers harpsichord and prefer it to a number of digital harpsichords, but this is likely to be due to other factors.

Whilst I am willing to believe in a high frequency sense - I am mindful of Hamlet's "there are more things" etc, it doesn't mean I do believe it. Even if I could run a series of blind live acoustic vs digital tests, the results would still be subjective.

Incidentally, bats emit sounds we can't hear. Any research that demonstrates that being in the presence of bats changes our mood?

I’m sorry I've send reply before reading your post.
Post no.3 is a supplement for post no.1.

I try in full awareness of that high-frequency tones can't be heard.
I ask only the ability of Pianoteq.

Can't Pianoteq generate high-frequency tones that is over around 20khz even using any instruments?

Nope, because you get to a point of VERY diminishing returns regarding CPU usage and resulting sound (which would not be hugely impacted at all with frequencies above 20k).

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-10-2017 11:20)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Wasting CPU on something nobody can ever hear (do you even have speakers that can reproduce frequencies above 20 kHz? You probably don't!) is incredibly stupid, so it's good that Pianoteq is not doing it.

Why? My cat can and should enjoy some harpsichord ultrasound too.

Last edited by Chopin87 (19-10-2017 13:58)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Pianoteq never generates higher frequencies than 20 kHz. Here are two examples of a Handel suite on the Ruckers and also for comparison transposed two octaves up on the glockenspiel, an instrument with a lot of high frequency content. These are flac files rendered at 24 bits / 96 kHz with the spectrum analyzed in Audacity:

https://sites.google.com/site/ptqspecprof/temp/Capture%20d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%202017-10-19%20a%CC%80%2009.51.21.png

https://sites.google.com/site/ptqspecprof/temp/Capture%20d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%202017-10-19%20a%CC%80%2009.57.15.png

Oh, my thanks! This graph is easy to understand.

Though no high frequencies, high resolution mode is good.

I hope Pianoteq to cover higher frequency someday.

Well, it would provide new, unexpected uses for Pianoteq. Ideal for:

1. Replacing a high-freq rodent deterrent.
2. Harassing U.S. diplomats in South-American countries.

All while playing Chopin!

Flasma wrote:

I hope Pianoteq to cover higher frequency someday.

I don't. It's pretty much useless since almost nobody has the equipment to reproduce those frequencies.

Hard work and guts!

Some playback devices when playing high-frequency sounds can create distortion in the form of inverse harmonics, which can fall into the audible range and distort the sound.
Interestingly, if we take two high frequencies, located quite close so that beats are created between them, for example, by a frequency of 100 hertz (26100Hz and 26000Hz). Sound born from beats between frequencies. Can our hearing system hear this?. I'll ask Google ..
Ed..
or the feature of hearing beats is peculiar only with frequencies in the audible range .. well, yes. here to myself and answered)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (19-10-2017 18:59)

Those are sidebands. Usually only a good thing in radio transmissions and FM synthesis.

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-10-2017 19:53)
Hard work and guts!

I'm of the opinion that anything above 20,000 is a complete waste of time.  I don't even know why we are wasting time discussing it.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

If you mic a piano and run it straight (analog) into monitors, frequencies over 20khz will come through. With regards to intermodulation distortion, if we're trying to capture the sound of a recorded piano, then why not reproduce those. At the very least, it's useful for analysis.

Dogs, babies, and toddlers up to 2 years old (maybe, I'm not sure the age) have advanced hearing for frequencies than health adults can' listen.  In advanced age the hearing for certain frequencies is reduced even further, man lost more high frequencies sensibility while women lost more low frequencies.

Babies have incredible hearing  :

http://www.iran-daily.com/News/131005.html

Last edited by Beto-Music (03-11-2017 13:36)