Topic: Roland A88 Controller Keyboard

Hi all,

Would anyone here recommend the A88 Controller Keyboard from Roland for use with PianoTEQ?

Thank you,

Warmest Regards,

Chris

Re: Roland A88 Controller Keyboard

Absolutely.  It is a great midi controller.  It has a wonderful piano feel.  It responds to Pianoteq extremely well.

lonelagranger wrote:

Absolutely.  It is a great midi controller.  It has a wonderful piano feel.  It responds to Pianoteq extremely well.

Thank you,

Warmest Regards,

Chris

I own and use an a-88 since 2013. As a controller of 16 kg it is a very good keyboard and I would highly recommend it. There are better actions out there but all of those weight far more than 20 kg.

For its quality, price, and weight ratio  a-88 is very hard to beat!

TJ76 wrote:

I own and use an a-88 since 2013. As a controller of 16 kg it is a very good keyboard and I would highly recommend it. There are better actions out there but all of those weight far more than 20 kg.

For its quality, price, and weight ratio  a-88 is very hard to beat!

Thank you - to positive reviews - looks promising,

Warmest Regards,

Chris

+1.  Even though I own and use a vintage 1990 Roland A-80, the A-88 is a comparatively fine controller for Pianoteq.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

+1.  Even though I own and use a vintage 1990 Roland A-80, the A-88 is a comparatively fine controller for Pianoteq.

Thank you Joe - much appreciated,

Warmest Regards,

Chris

If you can stretch to FP-90 or RD-2000, they're even better.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

If you can stretch to FP-90 or RD-2000, they're even better.

Thank you. Yes they are. I would prefer an FP50 to an A88 but finances may prohibit.

Warmest Regards,

Chris

FP-50 has the same keybed as A-88, not as RD-2000, so you're not losing out there. Only FP-90 has the next level keybed that is the same as RD-2000.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

FP-50 has the same keybed as A-88, not as RD-2000, so you're not losing out there. Only FP-90 has the next level keybed that is the same as RD-2000.

Sorry, I meant FP90 with PHA50 action/keybed,

Warmest Regards,

Chris

Hi, my first post,
inserting in the post it is necessary to change the midi language to 'high definition keyboard' when using pianoteq?

Only if your MIDI controller supports it. There are only a few that do (Casio PX5-S for example).

Hard work and guts!

A different opinion: I would not recommened. I tried one, based on feedback similar to what was found in this thread, but I found the keyboard sluggish and mushy, taking a lot of effort lifting fingers. I returned it for a Roland FP-30, because of its more springy keys than the A-88. The FP-30, for its lower price, also has speakers, built-in synths and rhythms, which can be useful at times, even if you are going to use it for pianoteq mainly. A-88 is both wider and heavier.The FP-30 does not has a LED-display, though, making settings somewhat cryptic compared to more expensive models (neither does the A-88), but for pianoteq use that hardly matters. At the time of purchase I had been practicing on an upright piano for some time, so a real piano was my reference, and of course, the keys of the FP-30 are much less springy and responsive than those of a real piano keyboard. But to get anything similar in feeling to a real piano (IMO), the price is > 4000$ for a digital-mechanical upright piano, and still the sound is inferior to pianoteq, I believe (this is limited to the keyboards I have been able to experience, I haven't tried the Kawai controller). I do with acceptable feeling and superior sound and control through pianoteq.

It depends on what you are used to, what you like and on what is your usecase. If possible, I recommened you try any keyboard before you buy it, and compare it to several others at the same time. The keys of both A-88 and FP-30 are covered by a nice ivory-imitation surface, and both have sufficient sensors for pianoteq and continous pedalling tech given the use of a capable pedal. I see the FP-90 is given a recommendation here, too, I do not know that one, but it is probably good. It has DC, mic, stereo and midi-inputs, while the FP-30 annoyingly does not have any inputs except for being able to read music files from an usb.

A final note is that the A-88 is a dedicated midi controller, so you have dedicated buttons. But I think you can program any buttons on any midi-sending keyboard through midi learn to do whatever you want, or additionally have an additional midi controller with sliders and knobs.

A review of FP-30 can be read on AZ piano news.

Last edited by sunnyolives (23-10-2017 23:40)