Topic: Apparently Kawai goes modelling...

At least partially. 2 new model announced CA78 and CA98. In sheets, a new mode appears (Pianist Mode), alongside old one (Sound Mode).

Seems that this new mode is a mix of sampling and modelling technology, looks like attack is sampled, while decay is modelled...
Just a guess, not much details so far...

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca98/
[
Pianist mode: SK-EX Rendering
- 88-key multi-channel sampling
- SK-EX recording

Pianist mode: Resonance Modelling
- Damper Resonance
- String Resonance
- Undamped String Resonance
- Aliquot Resonance
]

Edit : Extract from Owner's Manual :
[
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX concert grand piano reproduced with latest SK-EX Rendering sound technology

The magnificent tone of Kawai’s flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX full concert grand piano is at the heart of the CA98 and CA78
digital  pianos.    Widely  regarded  as  the  ‘premier  pianos  of  Japan’,  Shigeru  Kawai  instruments  grace  the  stages  of  concert 
halls and musical institutions throughout the world, and are prized for their tonal clarity and exceptional dynamic range.
In order to faithfully reproduce the stunning sound of a Shigeru digitally, Kawai has developed SK-EX Rendering – a brand
new  piano  sound  engine  that  blends  multi-channel,  88-key  sampling  with  the  latest  resonance  modelling  technology.   
Multi-channel  sampling  captures  the  sound  from  different  points  of  the  Shigeru  Kawai  concert  grand  piano,  allowing  a 
broader  range  of  tonal  characteristics  to  be  reproduced,  and  providing  a  more  lively,  authentic  response  to  changes  in 
dynamics.  This naturally expressive sound is further enriched by newly developed resonance algorithms, which physically
model the complex tonal interactions produced by the strings, pedals, and various other parts of an acoustic piano, giving
players the impression that they’re sitting at a living, breathing instrument.

Alternative acoustic piano sounds and a strong selection of additional instrument voices

In  addition  to  the  latest  SK-EX  Rendering  piano  sound  engine,  the  CA98  and  CA78  digital  pianos  also  incorporate  Kawai’s 
highly regarding Harmonic Imaging XL technology, showcasing a variety of alternative acoustic pianos sounds and a strong
selection of additional instrument voices. 
]

Last edited by ziczack (07-10-2017 09:35)

Re: Apparently Kawai goes modelling...

Interesting. This appears to be a step up from their current Harmonic Imaging technology. I find their digital piano sounds currently have a phase cancellation effect - especially when the notes decay.

Kawai CA98 and CA78 new pianist sound demos:

https://www.kawai.de/products/digitalpi...erie/ca98/

Click on --> Klangbeispiele <--

Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Full Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Jazz Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Brillant Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Rich Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Ballad Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Vintage Character - SK-EX Rendering)
Shigeru Kawai EX (PIANIST Modus, Boogie Character - SK-EX Rendering)

Had I closed my eyes and was not told what I was hearing, I would SWEAR that I was hearing...

Any choice of Yamaha, Casio, or Roland counterfeit piano.

ziczack wrote:

Seems that this new mode is a mix of sampling and modelling technology, looks like attack is sampled, while decay is modelled...

Doesn't say that. It just says the samples are now "Multi-channel", and there are

newly developed resonance algorithms, which physically model the complex tonal interactions produced by the strings, pedals, and various other parts of an acoustic piano

Note it's just the resonance, not the decay. That's less important than the actual piano sound by an order of magnitude. Frankly the obsession with "resonances" is very overblown and it doesn't alter the character of the sound that much.

Yes, after re-reading more carefully, looks kike your right on both.
So less dramatic chnage than I imagined. So, good for pianoteq...

snowjoke wrote:

Note it's just the resonance, not the decay. That's less important than the actual piano sound by an order of magnitude. Frankly the obsession with "resonances" is very overblown and it doesn't alter the character of the sound that much.

With all due respect, I disagree. Obsession with resonances is not overblown at all, try this: practice a month exclusively on a digital piano without resonances and then go to an accoustic.
You will over pedal constantly, this is one of the causes I came to Pianoteq.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:

With all due respect, I disagree. Obsession with resonances is not overblown at all, try this: practice a month exclusively on a digital piano without resonances and then go to an accoustic.
You will over pedal constantly, this is one of the causes I came to Pianoteq.

I agree it's hard to play on an acoustic after playing on a Pianoteq for an extended period of time.  Acoustics actually for the most part don't sound as good.  As for the Kawai, it sounds very good to me.  All of this signals the death of traditional wire strung pianos.

Last edited by GRB (16-10-2017 16:42)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway