Topic: Bluetooth Midi and Pianoteq

Has anyone been using Pianoteq with a Bluetooth Midi controller? How well does it work? What is the added bluetooth latency (vs. connecting midi controller via USB cable)?

There are more Bluetooth Midi controllers coming to the market (e.g. recently announced Kawai CA98/78/48...) The trend seems to be that most mid to high range DP - either stage or furniture/cabinet style - will have bluetooth midi.

Thanks,
Osho

Re: Bluetooth Midi and Pianoteq

BT MIDI has way too high jitter, which is actually much worse than latency. I would never use it.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-10-2017 08:23)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

BT MIDI has way too high jitter, which is actually much worse than latency. I would never use it.

Have you used any controller with Bluetooth 4 LE Midi? I hear it is supposed to be a lot better...

Thanks,
Osho

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c...ement.html

Unfortunately, it's not. Just forget anything that has to do with Bluetooth for real-time performance.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-10-2017 09:34)
Hard work and guts!

Tried. Failed.

- David

dklein wrote:

Tried. Failed.

Thanks - That's sad to hear. I was really hoping to eliminate a long running cable from the furniture style DP to the audio system!!

Osho

Well, hide it, then!

Use cable raceways if you can.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-10-2017 18:23)
Hard work and guts!

I discovered by accident, having disconnected my DAC, that PT6 could connect with my streaming system via Bluetooth, which would mean that I could test how a setting would sound like via my main system rather than my near field monitors in the music room. Unusable, even sitting in the same room as the streaming controller and the server, so full of pops and crackles that I decided it wasn't worth even trying to change polyphony etc To be fair, the streaming system frowns upon wi-fi connection, let alone Bluetooth. Back to saving to memory card and copying to the server* ......... (Connected to the controller via LAN)

* Sadly, trying to transfer files from one Apple device (MacBook Pro) to another (Macmini server) via Bluetooth, Airplay, etc etc takes for ever. Quicker to carry the memory card over.