Topic: General advice on Pianoteq?

Hi,

so i own a Kawai ES 100 Piano but the sound quality is far from good in my opionen. After some searching i decided to try out Pianoteq, bought the Roland UM-ONE-MK2 (USB-MIDI Device) and downloaded the trial version of Pianoteq 6.

I first installed everything on my Surface Book with an i7 but for some reason the inputlag was really bad, or atleast noticable.
After that i installed everything on my main Computer, and the Lag was gone on 44100 Hz, 512 Samples. What i noticed though was, that the sound was quiet and the quality not the greatest.

Now i wonder what the problem is. Im no music technician so i dont own a really good soundcard or anything.

Are those problems with the partial inputlag and the quality related to my onboard soundcard and  the usb-midi Device? Or is my configuration just wrong? How do i set up the correct Hz and Samplesize?
Or is it just the trial version of Pianoteq o.O?

Hope some of you experienced members can help out.

Thanks in advance,

brom

Re: General advice on Pianoteq?

By inputlag do you mean latency?

Did you intall ASIO4ALL (ASIO4ALL.COM) as your audio driver?

You should be able to get low latency with an i7 processor.

What are you listening to the piano with? Headphones? Speakers?

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Re: General advice on Pianoteq?

brom wrote:

Hi,

so i own a Kawai ES 100 Piano but the sound quality is far from good in my opionen. After some searching i decided to try out Pianoteq, bought the Roland UM-ONE-MK2 (USB-MIDI Device) and downloaded the trial version of Pianoteq 6.

I first installed everything on my Surface Book with an i7 but for some reason the inputlag was really bad, or atleast noticable.
After that i installed everything on my main Computer, and the Lag was gone on 44100 Hz, 512 Samples. What i noticed though was, that the sound was quiet and the quality not the greatest.

Now i wonder what the problem is. Im no music technician so i dont own a really good soundcard or anything.

Are those problems with the partial inputlag and the quality related to my onboard soundcard and  the usb-midi Device? Or is my configuration just wrong? How do i set up the correct Hz and Samplesize?
Or is it just the trial version of Pianoteq o.O?

Hope some of you experienced members can help out.

Thanks in advance,

brom

Windows needs always some tweaking for audio applications.

This video should help you with your Surface.
Do all these changes and keep us informed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajV2c9NjZqE

If you want to play Pianoteq, a good audio interface with Asio drivers is the best buy you can do.
There are some good and not so expensive interfaces (130-200 euros).

If you want to use the onboard audio shipset, you should install Asio4all as Beakybird said. But that will not change the fact that the sound is quiet. That is generally due to the output power and the adequation between the impedance audio out/headphones. Even with an external sound card, you can have a low level sound if these 2 elements don't match well.

Test that.
After the tweaks of windows and with the use of Asio4all as audio driver, you should be able to run smoothly at 44100/128, maybe 44100/64.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited by stamkorg (03-10-2017 09:58)