1

Topic: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

This is probably a previously discussed topic - but it maybe worth revisiting in 2017.

What is the best midi controller for Pianoteq? Two key consideration for me would be 'as close to real grand piano action as possible' and good velocity curve for Pianoteq. Any inputs?

I see Kawai VPC-1 is very popular. What are the other choices worth considering?

Thanks,
Osho

2

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

Roland RD-2000/FP-90.

Hard work and guts!

3

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

There are lots of different midi controllers on the market. For what purpose ? Piano playing ? Kawai VPC1 has the best action and velocity curve for Pianoteq and it is the best option for piano players. Other good midi option is Roland A88. I hope that Roland will update this controller soon. Also Studiologic have some midi controllers with full weight key action but I am not so convince in their quality control and support. All others are not build toward piano but for studio work, different effects etc, and their key action is semi weight. Why to limit only to midi controllers ? There are many excellent DPs which you can use also as a midi controller with better key action and overall quality. Kawai, Roland and Yamaha standing on the top with their products. For close to real grand action, Kawai CA and CS series is hard to beat and price is reasonable. I dont want to mention Yamaha avant grand series because I doubt that you want to spend around 7-10k for huge digital piano but they have the best grand action at the moment. Roland also have their excellent candidates. EvilDragon mention some of them and the price is also reasonable. My candidate overall as a DP and midi controller is Kawai MP11. Strictly as a midi controller Kawai VPC1 which I have in my home.

Last edited by slobajudge (23-09-2017 20:51)

4

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

Personally I wouldn't say that VPC1 is the best action available. It's very good, but Roland's latest PHA-50 (as in RD-2000, FP-90, which I mentioned) plays so much better for me, personally. But of course, it's all in the eye (and hands) of the beholder.

Hard work and guts!

5

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

Thanks slobajudge and EvilDragon!

My primary purpose is to just play Piano at home.

This weekend, I connected our old Digital Piano (Yamaha Motif 8) with an HTPC with Lynx L22 audio card connected to the Home Theater speaker system with 2 Triton One speakers (https://www.stereophile.com/content/gol … oudspeaker).

The sound was quite amazing with Pianoteq 6. As close as I have ever felt being in presence of a 9' Grand!

However, the velocity curve for Yamaha Motif 8 leaves a lot to be desired. I find it especially hard to get a good p, pp or ppp touch. Hence the quest for a new Midi controller.

Any other input? VPC-1 sounds good - except it is heavier than I would like. As this 'sound system' is in our home theater room - ideally the controller will be lighter than 65 lbs VPC-1!

Thanks,
Osho

6

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

oshogg wrote:

Thanks slobajudge and EvilDragon!

My primary purpose is to just play Piano at home.

This weekend, I connected our old Digital Piano (Yamaha Motif 8) with an HTPC with Lynx L22 audio card connected to the Home Theater speaker system with 2 Triton One speakers (https://www.stereophile.com/content/gol … oudspeaker).

The sound was quite amazing with Pianoteq 6. As close as I have ever felt being in presence of a 9' Grand!

However, the velocity curve for Yamaha Motif 8 leaves a lot to be desired. I find it especially hard to get a good p, pp or ppp touch. Hence the quest for a new Midi controller.

Any other input? VPC-1 sounds good - except it is heavier than I would like. As this 'sound system' is in our home theater room - ideally the controller will be lighter than 65 lbs VPC-1!

Thanks,
Osho

ctor
I really love the key feel of the Roland FP90. It also makes some pretty good sounds. It weighs about 53lbs.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

7

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

With Roland FP90 you will have also Roland modeling piano and thats the plus. Also in that weight category with good key action is Kawai ES8 and Yamaha cp4 (only 17kg) but Yamaha have higher price. None of them are strictly midi controller but it will serve you the same plus their sounds.

8

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

Actually FP-90 doesn't use the V-Piano modeling. That's RD-2000. FP-90 just has the regular SuperNATURAL (which is basically crossfaded samples and some convolution).

Hard work and guts!

9

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

EvilDragon wrote:

Actually FP-90 doesn't use the V-Piano modeling. That's RD-2000. FP-90 just has the regular SuperNATURAL (which is basically crossfaded samples and some convolution)..

In a rare instance, you are wrong.
The FP90 has 4 piano voices that are fully modeled with practically the same adjustable parameters as the RD2000. I haven't heard anyone state that they sound different from the RD2000. I think it's just different marketing jargon.
Those piano voices are a lot of fun to play. They don't have the soulful resonances of Pianoteq 6. But they're pretty good.
There are a handful of other great electric piano voices.
IMO, the FP90, because it has a great keyboard, the same as Roland's $7000 digitals, and because it weighs less and actually makes music without a computer, and has powerful speakers suitable for small gigs - it's a better choice as a controller for Pianoteq than the VPC1.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

10

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

I'm also tempted with Kawai VPC-1 and let die my old 19 years Fatar 900

11

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

beakybird wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Actually FP-90 doesn't use the V-Piano modeling. That's RD-2000. FP-90 just has the regular SuperNATURAL (which is basically crossfaded samples and some convolution)..

In a rare instance, you are wrong.
The FP90 has 4 piano voices that are fully modeled with practically the same adjustable parameters as the RD2000. I haven't heard anyone state that they sound different from the RD2000. I think it's just different marketing jargon.
Those piano voices are a lot of fun to play. They don't have the soulful resonances of Pianoteq 6. But they're pretty good.
There are a handful of other great electric piano voices.
IMO, the FP90, because it has a great keyboard, the same as Roland's $7000 digitals, and because it weighs less and actually makes music without a computer, and has powerful speakers suitable for small gigs - it's a better choice as a controller for Pianoteq than the VPC1.

It's SuperNATURAL engine (which DOES use samples, and some behavioral modeling, which I'm likening to Kontakt's scripting directing which samples should be used in which situation, plus some volume-matched crossfading  so that you don't hear the velocity layers - see section "A SuperNATURAL Era..." in the link), not the V-Piano engine (which is fully modelled). Yes they have some parameters similar, but the engine behind them is completely different. If it did have the V-Piano engine inside, don't you think even Roland's own marketing blurbs would have it in bold, like they do for RD-2000? Of course they would! So why don't they? smile


Again, SuperNATURAL does not equate fully modelled V-Piano. I may be wrong and will admit if I am, but I don't think I am (proof provided in the blog article). smile

Last edited by EvilDragon (25-09-2017 16:01)
Hard work and guts!

12

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

EvilDragon wrote:
beakybird wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Actually FP-90 doesn't use the V-Piano modeling. That's RD-2000. FP-90 just has the regular SuperNATURAL (which is basically crossfaded samples and some convolution)..

In a rare instance, you are wrong.
The FP90 has 4 piano voices that are fully modeled with practically the same adjustable parameters as the RD2000. I haven't heard anyone state that they sound different from the RD2000. I think it's just different marketing jargon.
Those piano voices are a lot of fun to play. They don't have the soulful resonances of Pianoteq 6. But they're pretty good.
There are a handful of other great electric piano voices.
IMO, the FP90, because it has a great keyboard, the same as Roland's $7000 digitals, and because it weighs less and actually makes music without a computer, and has powerful speakers suitable for small gigs - it's a better choice as a controller for Pianoteq than the VPC1.

It's SuperNATURAL engine (which DOES use samples, and some behavioral modeling - this is admitted in the linked blog article, see section "A SuperNATURAL Era..."), not the V-Piano engine (which is fully modelled). Yes they have some parameters similar, but the engine behind them is completely different. If it did have the V-Piano engine inside, don't you think even Roland's own marketing blurbs would have it in bold, like they do for RD-2000? Of course they would! So why don't they? smile


Again, SuperNATURAL does not equate fully modelled V-Piano. I may be wrong and will admit if I am, but I don't think I am (proof provided in the blog article). smile

I've seen posts at Pianoworld from Jay G Van who worked for Roland keyboards when the newest LX, HP keyboards + FP90 came out (they all have the same keybed and sound engine). They are 100% modeled, and the pianos are advertised as having limitless polyphony.

Also see this review from keyboardmag.com: http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/re … p-90/61834

It is a good sound engine. I've spent many hours A/B'ing with Pianoteq. They sound really different. I preferred my FP-90 to Pianoteq 5, but I like Pianoteq 6 pianos a lot more than my FP90 pianos.

However, my purpose in bringing up the FP90 is that I think it's a great controller for Pianoteq. For me, anyway, I don't have to tinker with velocity curves. It's very responsive, just like the VPC1. It's like getting the VPC1 but with less weight and with an added sound engine and speakers.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

13

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

Alright, I'll concede. Consider yourself lucky to catch me on the wrong foot this time around wink

But I wonder why would Roland then create confusing with their technology branding... Supernatural this, Supernatural that, and we all know that it basically started as just a bit spruced-up sampling methods (which were at the time perfectly normal in software sample libraries for Kontakt, and oftentimes they still sound better than Roland's efforts, i.e. SampleModeling instruments). Even that blog article admits to using samples. Then again that was in 2013...

Last edited by EvilDragon (25-09-2017 16:23)
Hard work and guts!

14

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

EvilDragon wrote:

But I wonder why would Roland then create confusing with their technology branding... Supernatural this, Supernatural that,

Indeed, and this has caused much frustration and confusion and lengthy discussion over on PW.

Listening only to demos (which I admit is rather tenuous), I think I prefer the original Supernatural (which did use samples) to the current fully modelled sounds.

Greg.

15

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

I am still very happy with the Studiologic SL88 Grand, works well for me. I like the ivory feel of the keys, and I like the  key action. I bought the Studio version for the rehearsal room (cheaper and half the weight to move around), it works but is not recommendable for piano playing. I always bring the Grand for gigs.

16

Re: Best midi controller for Pianoteq

I sold my Kurzweil PC3 X to buy a Roland Juno 88.  I have not even listened to the onboard sounds but the key action is very nice. Great controller for Pianoteq.
  -Perry-