Topic: Best Expansion Acoustic Piano's Post Version 6?

New to Pianotteq and just have the two intro pianos - K2 and Steinway D. Really pleased with them.

In other plugin companies the latest instrument is typically the best as it inherits the latest modeling techniques.

In general is this true with the Pianoteq Instruments or has this Version 6 update leveled them all to the same playing field and its just what instrument suites your style/taste?

My short trial time suggests to my ears that the Grotian (concert royal preset) has the "richest" sound to my ear.

And open to thoughts/suggestions on expansion choices - I am only interested in the acoustic pianos.

Do not mind subjective opinions either.

Re: Best Expansion Acoustic Piano's Post Version 6?

They are all really good, to me anyway... which one sounds best is hard to say.. for me it depends on which headphones or which monitors I use with which piano and presets...

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

sjgam wrote:

New to Pianotteq and just have the two intro pianos - K2 and Steinway D. Really pleased with them.

In other plugin companies the latest instrument is typically the best as it inherits the latest modeling techniques.

In general is this true with the Pianoteq Instruments or has this Version 6 update leveled them all to the same playing field and its just what instrument suites your style/taste?

My short trial time suggests to my ears that the Grotian (concert royal preset) has the "richest" sound to my ear.

And open to thoughts/suggestions on expansion choices - I am only interested in the acoustic pianos.

In my opinion, all the acoustics are pretty evolved, and it's a matter of personal taste.

I have all the non-historic grand pianos, and I find myself switching around enjoying the unique charm of each model.

You know when you're watching a movie, and something ridiculous happens, and you say, "That can't be true." Maybe I'm not sophisticated, but this doesn't happen to me with Pianoteq.
Off topic, but I can't get a satisfying Rhodes sound with the Electric Pianos package.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

sjgam wrote:

I happen to own every model of every piano in Pianoteq and am glad to offer you these insights: 

If you are interested in expanding your acoustic piano arsenal, you have four basic choices:  Blüthner, Grotrian, Steinway Model B (7 foot Studio Grand) and the Yamaha YC5 (6'7").  I enjoy all of these pianos and regularly switch between them, depending upon the repertoire.  In all honesty, there is no ONE piano that I use any more than the others (besides the Steinway D and K2, which you already own). 

IF I were forced to decide between any TWO of the four choices, I would select the Grotrian and the Blüthner, because most of my repertoire is classical in nature.  Both the Steinway B and Yamaha YC5 are very, VERY good; if I had to select between the Steinway B and Yamaha YC5, I believe the B would edge out the YC5 even with classical repertoire.

Back to the matter at hand, If I could select any two models, I would select both the Grotrian and Blüthner in that order.   If I were forced to select a concert grand AND a studio grand, I would select the Grotrian and Steinway B.

Please note that you will be very happy with any of the four choices.  In the end, I believe you need to play the demos and make your own decision.  Just keep in mind, there will be NO bad choice on your part; as funds become available you can always add to your arsenal of pianos.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Model B might be nice because it is smaller than K2, Model D, Blüthner and Grotrian - and thus offer a different sound (in terms of volume/size). But they are all great.

With P6 I also like the upright (u4) and the Bechstein (Kremsegg 2)

just my 2 cents

As Joe says, you should be happy with any of the 4 modern grands, but it's down to personal taste in the end (I love the richness of Grotrian and Bluthner, but I'm still deliberating over Model B, and I just can't warm to the YC5). The great thing is that you can audition the pianos in demo mode for as long as you want before making a decision. If you don't mind a more 'vintage' sound, it's well worth checking out the free KviR collection (go to Products / Instruments / Free Instruments on the website). Both the 1922 Erard and 1926 Pleyel are excellent and full of character, but they do sound quite different to the modern pianos. In KviR, amongst other goodies, you also get the feisty little Walter (VERY different to a modern piano, with restricted range), which is similar to an instrument owned by Mozart. The 1826 Graf is another superbly playable, characterful piano, and it has nearly the full range of a modern instrument.

(Update) Hmm, funny how the memory can play tricks sometimes. The Walter, I just noticed, actually has the same range as the Graf, although I had convinced myself that the Walter was shorter. Duh!

Last edited by dazric (29-09-2017 13:31)

Thank you all for your careful and useful suggestions/thoughts - feeding my review as I plod through the demo's and compare them to my K2 and Model D.

If I was to tighten my question and hypothetically tell you all your instruments must be taken away except for one - what would be the "one" you would keep?

Realize your music style - classical, jazz, pop etc - aside from your impression of the instruments plays a role so include that in your reason if thats your reason.

I find I learn even though its hopefully subjective why one keep one particular instrument and one person's passion for one particular instrument moves me to consider it more as I demo.

Well, of course I wouldn't want to lose any of the wonderful pianos available, but if I did have to keep just one... it would be the Bluthner. It seems to adapt well to just about any style (I play classical and contemporary styles).

Well I couldn't help myself and got all the acoustic pianos. Compared to other instrument plugins they are quite reasonable cost and some sites offer discounts. Have all the presets mapped in my Logic library for easy browsing across instruments. Liking all of them.

I have them all plus the upright... fun switching around.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

sjgam wrote:

all your instruments must be taken away except for one - what would be the "one" you would keep?

'tough call, but as i work with lots of late 18th & early 19th century music, and while i'd heartily miss the likes of the 1835 Pleyel or the 1849 Erard, either the Walter or the Graf (on my dedicated setup and with custom fxps) would have to be "the keeper"... "modern" pianos are, for better or worse, a dime dozen (relatively speaking), but good historic fortepianos (sooo essential for classic and early-romantic repertoire) aren't exactly as widely available and so are something quite special indeed! 

Matthieu 7:6

Well said Davey Jones. The incredible range of historical instruments (now sounding better than ever in v6) was one of the things that attracted me to Pianoteq in the first place. And as the Modartt team have pointed out, these instruments can often be used effectively in jazz and contemporary styles as well.

_DJ_ wrote:
sjgam wrote:

all your instruments must be taken away except for one - what would be the "one" you would keep?

'tough call, but as i work with lots of late 18th & early 19th century music, and while i'd heartily miss the likes of the 1835 Pleyel or the 1849 Erard, either the Walter or the Graf (on my dedicated setup and with custom fxps) would have to be "the keeper"... "modern" pianos are, for better or worse, a dime dozen (relatively speaking), but good historic fortepianos (sooo essential for classic and early-romantic repertoire) aren't exactly as widely available and so are something quite special indeed! 

How do your Pianoteq 5 FXP's work in Pianoteq 6?

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

i'm constantly tweaking my setup & fxps around using close-miced perfect omnis in the virtual sound stage to match with actual physical speaker placement (upward pointing to emulate soundboard radiation) and, if i recall correctly, the fxps i'd previously posted here for version 5 use this same approach, so... with the caveat that speaker placement (not to mention quality) is critically important, they should work great!  my virtual historic pianos both play (albeit without the actual feel/touch of the wienermekanik) & sound extremely faithful to their original physical counterparts (which i've been fortunate enough to have worked with extensively over the decades), to the point where my students all have come to spurn their physical modern pianos at home in favor of these lovely virtual fortepianos when playing music d'époque...  as we're fond of saying around here:  "playing Mozart on a Steinway sounds about as silly as playing Debussy on a Walter"! 

Matthieu 7:6

_DJ_ wrote:
beakybird wrote:

i'm constantly tweaking my setup & fxps around using close-miced perfect omnis in the virtual sound stage to match with actual physical speaker placement (upward pointing to emulate soundboard radiation) and, if i recall correctly, the fxps i'd previously posted here for version 5 use this same approach, so... with the caveat that speaker placement (not to mention quality) is critically important, they should work great!

Have not found these in the FXP corner.  Could you point them out?

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/fxpcorner/?version=5

I'm astonished that, in recommending modern acoustic grands in PT, no one has thus far mentioned the C. Bechstein Digital Grand or the Steingraeber. I also started out with the Steinway D and the K2, and I've since added the Bluthner, Steinway B, Steingraeber, and Bechstein. To me, the Bechstein and Steingraeber roughly tie for first, and the Steinway B is a close runner up. I play both jazz and classical music and find myself switching among those top three favorite instruments, depending on the particular piece, my mood on a given day, etc.

All of the acoustic pianos in PT are now quite refined and viable, I think, but the above are my favorites. Best of luck to you in your explorations and ultimate choices.

I second your opinion about the Bechstein DG and the Steingraeber. I only recently purchased the Steingraeber, it had somewhat passed under my radar until now. It is a remarkably full and natural sounding model with virtually no weaknesses imho. The bass is massive, I think it is the best of any PT model (a close second would be the YC5). Wonderful and suitable for almost any style. The Bechstein is a very different animal: I love it...when my wife plays it! She has a much lighter touch than me and plays mostly classical. When she plays Chopin preludes and waltzes on it, it's just perfect. We had very little to do to adapt the presets to our taste (as usual, turning down the reverb a lot!). As for my own playing, I favour the Steinway B and the Steingraeber. I use to love the Bluethner (lots of character), but it doesn't sound right in the newer versions of PT. I am sure it will be updated eventually. Of course, all very personal and subjective!

tom_croft24 wrote:

I'm astonished that, in recommending modern acoustic grands in PT, no one has thus far mentioned the C. Bechstein Digital Grand or the Steingraeber. I also started out with the Steinway D and the K2, and I've since added the Bluthner, Steinway B, Steingraeber, and Bechstein. To me, the Bechstein and Steingraeber roughly tie for first, and the Steinway B is a close runner up. I play both jazz and classical music and find myself switching among those top three favorite instruments, depending on the particular piece, my mood on a given day, etc.

All of the acoustic pianos in PT are now quite refined and viable, I think, but the above are my favorites. Best of luck to you in your explorations and ultimate choices.

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com