Topic: Video recording Pianoteq

Hi, I had the brilliant idea of trying to make a video recording of Pianoteq in action (recording directly from the screen), so I downloaded Flashback Express (I'm running Win10). After several attempts trying different settings, all I can get is: picture and no sound (rather like an old tv set I used to have). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or is Flashback just rubbish? What do other people use to record video? I would prefer a free option, but I don't mind paying a modest amount for something that really works.

Re: Video recording Pianoteq

dazric wrote:

Hi, I had the brilliant idea of trying to make a video recording of Pianoteq in action (recording directly from the screen), so I downloaded Flashback Express (I'm running Win10). After several attempts trying different settings, all I can get is: picture and no sound (rather like an old tv set I used to have). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or is Flashback just rubbish? What do other people use to record video? I would prefer a free option, but I don't mind paying a modest amount for something that really works.

This is perhaps because ASIO driver is completely taking over the audio chain. There might be ways to mix the audio and video as a post processing step - but that will require some careful mixing to make sure the video and audio is in sync.

Osho

I have had similar issues.  I did not take time to go back and figure out my the problem.

What do others use to video capture the Pianoteq window?

It would be nice if it was possible to video export directly from Pianoteq, but that's probably too much to ask! Maybe one day...

You probably need to set up loopback to record all of the audio. Depending on what your audio interface is, its drivers should allow you to do this. RME has no problems with that, for example.

Last edited by EvilDragon (28-09-2017 17:06)
Hard work and guts!

Try OBS (Open Broadcast Software). It is one of most popular around. It is free.

You could record the MIDI from within Pianoteq during the performance, and afterwards render it to audio, using Pianoteq. You'd then need to use a video editor of some description to merge and align the video & audio. I know this is more involved than you want.

Greg

OK thanks guys, I will definitely take a look at OBS. I've been considering getting a new interface for some time, I currently have a decent quality DAC but it's geared towards listening rather than playing. Steinberg UR-12 looks good to me.

dazric wrote:

In your OPTIONS screen under the DEVICES tab, did you choose an "Audio Device Type" that includes the words "(exclusive mode)"?  If yes, that's the problem!  Try to change it to another device type (although you might introduce latency that way).

Also you can try this https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

Well, all the advice is very much appreciated, but as yet I haven't been able to get any of that stuff to work, so I'm going to put the screen capture project to one side for now. I've set myself the new task of making a simple slideshow with music, with a view to having something ready for the video competition. Piece of cake, right? Poor deluded fool that I am. Refer to my new topic 'Video problem: how to get decent quality audio'.