Topic: Pianoteq Electric Pianos

What do you guys think about the P6 Electric Pianos? I do hear some improvements, but I can't put my finger on them. I've been very busy playing all the great new pianos.

I have a few questions:

1. Without touching special effects, what would you do to make a basic R1 or R2 more funky and aggressive?
2. What would you do to make it more soothing?
3. Is there any way to get a really soothing sound but with some bite when I dig in?

I would like more presets because I like to play more than tinker.

some thoughts:

1.  I like that on the W1 they put in a few presets to make the Wurly sound like Logical from Supertramp and Best Friend from Queen. I'd like more of that on the R1 and R2. Like a Stevie Wonder song or Peter Frampton song, etc.
2.  I really like the Rhodes sound of Stephen Halpern who is probably one of the most popular New Age musicians ever. I would love to have a preset that has the liquidy, crystal, magnetic sound that he gets on his Rhodes.
3. I'd like to have more presets that are nuances of the out of the box Rhodes sound with sutble differences - subtle compression, subtle tremolo, subtle bark, etc.

It's probably not feasible, but I think Vintage Vibes makes really cool electric pianos. It would be great if Pianoteq could model them.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Re: Pianoteq Electric Pianos

beakybird wrote:

2.  I really like the Rhodes sound of Stephen Halpern who is probably one of the most popular New Age musicians ever. I would love to have a preset that has the liquidy, crystal, magnetic sound that he gets on his Rhodes.

Have you got a favourite track? I haven't heard of Stephen Halpern. I'd like to hear this Rhodes sound you speak of. Reason being is I'm trying to figure out what Tony O'Connor used in his music. Some of the electric piano presets in Pianoteq come close, but not exact. Example here, linked to at the right spot (60 seconds in), hear it behind the flute: https://youtu.be/-IzT3WvEI-g?t=60.

Last edited by lem18 (24-09-2017 21:31)

lem18 wrote:
beakybird wrote:

Have you got a favourite track? I haven't heard of Stephen Halpern. I'd like to hear this Rhodes sound you speak of. Reason being is I'm trying to figure out what Tony O'Connor used in his music. Some of the electric piano presets in Pianoteq come close, but not exact. Example here, linked to at the right spot (60 seconds in), hear it behind the flute: https://youtu.be/-IzT3WvEI-g?t=60.

The EP of the Tony O'Connor track doesn't sound Rhodes-like to me. It sounds like it might be from a synth.

Here is some Stephen Halpern Rhodes playing. You can skip around and hear it throughout this album. Let me tell you emphatically. If you lie down and listen to this with headphones before bed, it will take you places.

I don't know how to embed video. If this doesn't work, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwtqYfU...MxYY-pUDBe

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PwtqYfUX3Ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Nice, thanks for that. I'll give that a listen before bed tonight, sounds good

That IS a (sampled) Rhodes IMHO - it's the all too familiar Rhodes from the ABSOLUTELY ANCIENT Kurzweil 1000 series, which btw had the very first sampled grand piano in history.

It was just two velocity layers, but yes, it sounds very good. There was also a cross faded preset that was also very good.

EDIT: I am referring to the Rhodes sound in the Tony O'Connor clip.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (27-09-2017 13:29)