Topic: How to connect a virtual piano keyboard to Pianoteq on Windows 7?

I am using VMPK - virtual midi piano keyboard, and would like to map its midi output as an input to pianoteq, but I am not sure how to go about this. I think I need a connection bus or some sort of digital interface. Anyone know how to do this? I searched and found other users were using VMPK on GNU/linux.

Re: How to connect a virtual piano keyboard to Pianoteq on Windows 7?

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

Not sure why you need to do this because Pianoteq has its own virtual MIDI keyboard

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-09-2017 14:24)
Hard work and guts!

Thanks,  I'll try it out. I want to be able to produce sound using the computer keyboard, but letter keys in Pianoteq are mapped as hotkeys. Documentation search seems only to yield results about external keyboard. Also, I want to use my own key mapping.

Last edited by sunnyolives (22-09-2017 14:40)

Try typing "control-k"; this brings up a window showing a computer keyboard. The hotkeys are disabled when you do this and you can use your computer keyboard to play notes. USB-connected midi "real" keyboards can be easily obtained for not much money these days....

I got this working in 1 minute, literally. All setup had to be done from VMPK and Pianoteq themselves, I couldn't find any separate settings dialog or application windows for the LoopBe1 itself.

Larry Ayers wrote:

Try typing "control-k"; this brings up a window showing a computer keyboard.

Good, I didn't know. It says right there in the Windows menu. A nice selection of controls are available in this view, too. The keyboard range, though, is much larger in VMPK, and a pure virtual keyboard front-end to pianoteq.

Larry Ayers wrote:

USB-connected midi "real" keyboards can be easily obtained for not much money these days....

This is for quickly recording snippets using pianoteq anywhere, including away from a physical piano keyboard.

Last edited by sunnyolives (22-09-2017 16:48)

To me it sounds like you need a Korg nanoKEY You'd at least get some velocity response with it without using clunky modifiers.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-09-2017 18:25)
Hard work and guts!

I love my CME X-key Air37.  Like the NanoKey, but the keys have full width for piano keys (not nano).  Kinda clicky, but that is ignorable in short order (especially with headphones on).  It's great for travel, with just my tablet and some headphones.

- David

Interesting. When I tried the XKey it was horrible feeling with a totally inconsistent velocity response and the marketed poly AT was also producing a lot of noisy values... I just don't trust CME to do a high-quality product.

Hard work and guts!

To may the X-key "feel right", I had to modify the velocity curve via their utility - made all the difference to soften the response.

- David

Of course that was the first thing I did. It was still kinda horrible, unfortunately.

Hard work and guts!

I am relatively new, and am amazed by the technology.  Way cool that this stuff even exists. 
Thanks!

- David