Topic: Smallest Linux P6 Box

Sorry if this was covered already...

What is the smallest Linux box I could run P6 on?

I wouldn't need a screen after setting up a script to automatically run P6, and even not-so-good built in sound card is ok for now.

Re: Smallest Linux P6 Box

The smallest would technically be either an Intel computer stick (atom based) or an arm device. They aren't from my point of view the best choices though.

Last edited by Lucy (20-09-2017 20:44)

A "Piano That Fits In Your Pocket" - I still find this idea intriguing, it is such a cool idea! ... the Intel NUCs seem like the best off-the-shelf solution, but if you don't mind DIY projects, here are the options I've been considering:

3 Boards:
1. Raspberry Pi 3
2. Odroid C2
3. Odroid XU4 (my pick as it's 7-8 faster than the first two)

Operating Requirements/Options:
1. COOLING
- Traditional PC Heatsink/Fan
- Aluminum Cooling Case
* per Ameridroid's test with the XU4, the traditional PC Heatsink/Fan had the best cooling, with the Aluminum Cooling Case coming in 2nd (and also looking a heck of a lot cooler). The stock active & passive cooling options came in 3rd and 4th place.. ** if you set the CPU speed to 1.2Ghz, you can avoid throttling even with the stock passive cooling option!

2. TOUCH SCREEN (XU4 examples)
- 3.5 Inch Touchscreen Shield
- 5-Inch Odroid VU5
- 8-inch Odroid VU8 Touch Display and Shell
- 7-inch Tablet Kit

3. AUDIO
- Simple USB Audio Adapter
- Traktor Audio 2 - compact USB Audio Interface
- DAC - Digital to Analog Converter audio board
- or maybe something with XLRs?

Last edited by Groove On (21-09-2017 08:25)

I was in Micro center today and stumbled on the raspberry pi 3.
DANG, I hadn't prepared or even remembered that pianoteq 6 can now run on R pi 3.

Then I browsed a few "kits" and wondered if anyone in the pianoteq community had put either a shopping list together or a "packaged deal" of parts.

So tonight I am browsing for either of those

If case you haven't figured out how to install Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi 3, there is an in-depth tutorial on how to do it that you can download from Pianoteq. Here's the link:
https://www.pianoteq.com//downloads/gen...Pi3_v3.pdf

The link can be also found in
https://www.pianoteq.com/faq
under the question "How do I install Pianoteq on Raspberry Pi 3?"
The tutorial shows how to achieve higher internal sampling rates (48KHz or 44.1KHz). I am currently running Pianoteq 6 on my Raspberry Pi 3 at an internal sampling rate of 48KHz.
Have fun!

I have two NUC i5's fifth generation which both run Linux.  They are very small, yet very powerful.  FWIW, I found the 5th generation models to be better with Linux then the Gen7 version which has issues with HDMI audio out when running Linux.  For that reason I purchased my second one used from Ebay, while returning a brand new Gen7 to the retailer.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

An old thread (now).
Since then we have had Edgar's Raspberry Pi 3 project report and of course the Pi 4 has been introduced.

So, there is small, there is compact, there is convenient and there is PRACTICAL !

Having been through the Pi experience, which was fun, my current perspective is approximately;

88 key keyboards are BIG and typically HEAVY, they take up SPACE.
Miniaturization seems pointless - and in any case I want a screen big enough to SEE while I play, e.g. I would like to display scores.

There are so many "all in one" computers on the market now and acceptable performance is relatively inexpensive.
I may go for about a 26 inch display with an i5 processor - likely with a solid state drive.