Topic: Comparison of Pianoteq Steinway D & B vs real Steinway M bass

I am visiting my parents this weekend (they got slammed by Irma last week, but have power and water back and are working on other repairs), so I brought my tablet to show off Pianoteq 6.  My Dad has been a lifetime audiophile, and his stereo system is a little bit different than most - we played Pianoteq through my tablet into his Emotiva preAmp into two monoblock transistor amps, feeding two Avant Garde Duos horn speakers.  My X-Key 37 was used to play Pianoteq.  Across the room is my mother's 1953 Steinway Model M  (5' 7", as compared to the Model D's 9' 0" length).

I stood at my Mom's real Steinway M, playing some bass notes.  My mom did the same at the X-Key 37, playing Pianoteq using the Player presets for each the Model B and the Model B, using the Player preset for each.

The recordings from my cellphone are as follows:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...20bass.mp3   Pianoteq B vs real Steinway M

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...20bass.mp3   Pianoteq D vs real Steinway M

Some notes:

1) Since I have the cellphone with the voice recorder while I am standing at the real Steinway M, the real thing is closer and louder the the Pianoteq version.
2) The Pianoteq Steinway Model B sounds a little more metallic than I would like down here.
3) The Pianoteq Steinway Model D sounds more like the real M than does the Model B, though the real Model B is closer in size.
4) Wow! The similarities are outstanding!

My Mom walked out of the room, then came back, and immediately looked at her player-less Steinway piano at the same time when she heard me playing the Pianoteq version - she thought it came from her Steinway M.  "This is very unnerving", she said.

Last edited by dklein (17-09-2017 04:56)
- David

Re: Comparison of Pianoteq Steinway D & B vs real Steinway M bass

Nice one!

Now make it do this please: https://youtu.be/jGGwwDuO9vs
(it's a Steinway B)

Greg

Is the humidity still very high and affecting the real piano possibly making it less lively or bright ? Just thinking out loud here.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

She hasn't had her piano tuned since last December or January.

My point was not that my mom's piano is out of tune - the point was that the synthesized Steinway Model D of Pianoteq, playing through good quality speakers, sounds extremely close to the sound of a real Steinway grand piano.

- David

Didn't even think of the tuning.. just humidity affecting the sound board ... like it does with guitars. Just wondering as it would affect my old babygrand when I was in Northern New Jersey.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Good intention.

But cell phone recording... not right or valu8able to judge anything.

I enjoyed this comparison even though it's just a cell phone - it's a lot better than no recording at all.

Greg.

skip wrote:

I enjoyed this comparison even though it's just a cell phone - it's a lot better than no recording at all.

Greg.

Agreed!

Hey, Michelle Shocked's "Texas Campfire Tapes" album was recorded in 1986 on a Sony Walkman with far lower fidelity -- I was just visiting my parents at their house, and my cellphone was the only recording technology that I had at that moment.

....Beto-Music, if you have the time, the technology, and the finesse, I can put you in touch with my Mom and you can make a higher quality comparative demonstration.

:-)

- David

Hello All,

Here are my two cents on what was heard:

Because the real Model M "sounds" louder in a living space that is relatively small compared to a commercial recording venue, those C-Major arpeggios made by the acoustic Model M were played somewhat quietly (in Midi-speak, this converts to low note-on velocity), whereas the two Pianoteq models were played with higher note-on velocity, in an attempt to match volume while connected through the Avantegarde Duo horn speakers. 

I sense that Pianoteq sounded brighter because note-on velocity was somewhat higher than a value of, say, 30-50.  Why?  That's because, through my headphones I was able to more closely mimic the darker tones of the acoustic Model M -- when I played with low note-on velocity.  Then, had the audio system's volume (when playing Pianoteq with low note-on velocity) matched the Model M's volume when played as quietly as was played in the room, I think the sounds would have been even closer to one another.

Of course, all of this is pure speculation.  I could be way off in this navel-gazing exercise.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks, Joe.  Why is the B brighter than the D?  Size matters.  Why is the B brighter than the real M?  I have no idea.

Why was the M louder than each the B and the D?  Because I was standing at the keyboard of the M with my cellphone (with voice recorder) in my own hand as my mom played the Pianoteq on the stereo via the keyboard across the room.  Location matters.  Location, Location, Location.

- David