Topic: Which Headphones for Pianoteq5/6 ?

Hi,

i often play with Headphones ! totally love the sound of Pianoteq.
right now i use quite cheap "Superlux HD 681". .........30€ range.
I had the AKG 240 (broadcast version) bevore. Those are still around but have to little of a Bass, also for Piano.
totally dig me some nice Piano low end, really !

The superlux are really good ! not that much defined in the upper mids and highs as the AKG 240, but good.
As i was a modularsynth guy mostly, now playing mostly "Piano only" was i happy to have cheap Headphones in case i´d blew them
( Modularsynths are dangerous for headphones )

Now, if i´d get me some good ones, preferably not over the 300/350€€ range,
what would be your recommendations ?
.....are those super expensive* ones really worth it for piano ( post please your tipps anyway, regardless of price )
(* edit: i mean here the 800€ area and up.....you might know what i mean )

I had the Sennheiser HD650 since long time in mind.
i read also good things about the AKG 702.

Your tipps please !
how important do you rate it to have supergood headphones ?
( i´m happy with my cheap ones, buuuuut.................;) )

Last edited by Funky40 (12-09-2017 19:53)

Re: Which Headphones for Pianoteq5/6 ?

I am liking my audio-technica ATHM30x phones.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Any headphones will do that are not crap. BeyerDynamic DT-880 250 Ohm here.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Any headphones will do that are not crap.

Indeed!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

EvilDragon wrote:

Any headphones will do that are not crap.

Now that's the most sensible headphone advice I've seen for a long time.

Greg.

I have used Beyerdynamic DT880 since about 1990 - great for piano.

Lanny

OK, thanks for the feedback everybody !

i´ll continue then beening happy with my 30€ Headphones for playing Pinaoteq
beacuse i am ...........just that i allways thought i should buy me some real Headphones and never had the money

but one thing:
has anybody had the chance to try top vs. good vs. average Headphones with Pianoteq ?
i´d really be interested to hear about what your impressions are in regrads to minor differences.

for example do i play pianoteq over my old red tannoy speakers which are rated to be crap, while i have also A7x.
i played pianoteq over my macbooks ( mid 2010 ) onboard audioout and was happy, while others state that you need this and that soundcard because it begins tio shine............

but i´d thought i want to have the headphones that shine, haha.
can it ?

There are certainly large differences in tone between different models & makes of headphones.  My compact fold-up Senheisser PX100-II sound rather muffled compared to my much more expensive AKG K601 headphones.  However, I am sure that there are many cheap headphones that would sound closer in tone to my AKGs than these particular Sennheisers, and also, even though one would EXPECT the more expensive headphones to be more accurate, it's hard to be really certain of that.

Greg.

I'm happy BeyerDynamic DT-990 250 Ом ..
except that it is desirable for them to use an additional amplifier. Some sound cards may not sound loud enough.

scherbakov.al wrote:

except that it is desirable for them to use an additional amplifier. Some sound cards may not sound loud enough.

No need for those who use RME audio interfaces.

Hard work and guts!

i'm using Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250.  very happy with them.

Does anyone know good website(s) for headphone reviews and tests ?

It's hard for non-experts to find reliable review sites.

StephenG

www.headphone.com

That one was obvious

Hard work and guts!

"Headphones that transmits vibrations by bones ?

See in 5:54       

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0R0Xr0e-uk

Glasses that could deliver "SOUNDS"  by soundless vibratiopns near a skull bonés, and these vibration on the boné would be interpreted as sound.  Not sure about the quality of the "hearing" that would be perceived.

Everyones have self perception of our own voice sound that is a combination of sounds received from the air, captured by ears, and a sound transmited by bonés, the vibrations we produce in our cranium when we speak.

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-09-2017 14:06)

FWIW, I just got the Grado SR80e - they sound great. I wanted headphones that are loud enough on all my equipment (including phone) without requiring an amp, and they are. They don't sound quite as natural as my K601s, but I don't mind. They sound better (brighter and clearer) to me than my small Sennheiser PX100-ii. (these were also loud enough on everything, though)

Greg.

Last edited by skip (15-09-2017 04:40)

What about AKG K511 and AKG K404 ?

It's affordable (specially K404), and so it's suspect.
Reviews tends to give good rating, but I don't trusty in reviews anylonger.

Well, what I notice in some affordable headphones from good brands, is that they can usually sound nearlly acceptable to listen music in general (or almost), but sound quite bad, specially in the bass, for piano solo.  Piano solo Works unmasking all the crapness of headphones. Sad true...

I honestly doubt I will ever find a headphone that sound like we where listening to a piano. They all tends to add closed sensation, muffed sensation, "oingo-boing" trebble.

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-09-2017 16:00)

Sennheiser HD600/650.  Detailed, warm,musical without being overly analytical. Need a good amp, though. Apogee groove works well.

Pianoteq 5, Dell Studio 14 (core i3 2.26 ghz), M-Audio Uno midi connector, Echo Indigo Djx (expresscard), Little Dot MK V Headphone Amp, Senn 580 Headphones, Kawai MP9000 digital piano

For the very high price of this model... it have to be good.
Not that the good, between the best models, necessarily would mean good enough to get a true natural feeling.

What about creat databank of equalizer curves ofr pianoteq, in reference to a lot of headphones models. Most headphones have not a flat response.

bebop603 wrote:

Sennheiser HD600/650.  Detailed, warm,musical without being overly analytical. Need a good amp, though. Apogee groove works well.

Beto-Music wrote:

For the very high price of this model... it have to be good.
Not that the good, between the best models, necessarily would mean good enough to get a true natural feeling.

What about creat databank of equalizer curves ofr pianoteq, in reference to a lot of headphones models. Most headphones have not a flat response.

bebop603 wrote:

I use a Senn HD600 now with pianoteq + apogee groove.   I sounds very natural to me, though I have to work on tweaking some things on the pianoteq models on the new V6.
Sometimes the bass is little too much, and detail needs to reduced a bit by backing off mikes and reducing hammer hardness, etc. I personally didn't like
the AKG 240 at all with Pianoteq. It's super flat and clinical just like studio headphones are supposed to be, but just didn't sound "alive" enough for me.

Pianoteq 5, Dell Studio 14 (core i3 2.26 ghz), M-Audio Uno midi connector, Echo Indigo Djx (expresscard), Little Dot MK V Headphone Amp, Senn 580 Headphones, Kawai MP9000 digital piano

A good piano emulation sounds fantastic to me with headphones - very much like how I remember it sounding to play my upright (decades ago - I don't play real pianos now). I know it's never going to be AS GOOD, but I'm very satisfied if it just sounds as good as a good recording.

Greg

@skip (Greg)
Have you tried the Yamaha grand (the YC5) presets in Pianoteq 6? It's an inherently bright-sounding acoustic piano and pianoteq model, and I'm asking because you seem to like pianos (and recordings of pianos) that have fairly prominent treble definition and detail.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

With Pianoteq 6 there does not seem to be any limit on the quality gain brought with better headphones. (The quality of the headphones matters much more than that of the DAC even at less than 100 €). Tested personally with the models Sennheiser HD650, HD800, Audez LCD-3, Stax sr007 mk2 (with RKV MARK 2), I finally use the combination DAC behringer u-phoria UMC204HD + headphones Kennerton Odin).

For a long time, I used on my synthesizer Yahama motif XF8 a Sennheiser HD650 which remains a very good headphoe (although I now find the piano "natural" XF8 very mediocre since the discovery of pianoteq)

By asking an amateur pianist who plays every day several hours on a real Bosendorfer of 2m of 1983 to compare a few chords recorded on his instrument with a zoom H2 of 4 years and the same agreements under standard Pianoteq 6 (trial) with the fxp "Bosendorfer imperial" pianoteq 5 by Bluethner, the pianist found the Pianoteq 6 version almost more pleasant and clearer than the recording of the real piano, although harmonics a little less rich.
The only real problem for an amateur pianist remaining fingers wrists and arms ...

I have very pleasing results with Beyerdynamic DT880 32 Ohm driven by an <1 Ohm Headphone-Amp (Objective 2).

In my opinion it is crucial for impulse response of piano sounds to have very low output impedance at the headphone-output. A common rule of thumb is at least 1:8.

I am away from home, with my Beyerdynamic DT880 32 ohm earphones - playing at home with monitor speakers most of the time, I forgot how good Pianoteq sounds on decent headphones.  Presets that I find at home which are thin or have poor stereo imaging sound pretty darn wonderful through these headphones (and I'm sure that they would sound better if I had the 250 ohm headphones, but then I'd have to worry about having an amp with me whenever I'm using the headphones for my iPod, phone, computer, etc.).

- David

dklein wrote:

and I'm sure that they would sound better if I had the 250 ohm headphones

Not necessarily, it depends strongly on the impedance of the headphone-output. Traditional headphone-outputs often have output-impedances of 120 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 60 Ohm, sometimes 32 Ohm. If you connect an 32 Ohm headphone to it, you get an unnatural bass-boost and poor impulse-response with flat-balanced headphones. If a headphone is already bass-heavy by itself, like many Sennheiser HD5xx-Series, things become even worse.

With those traditional high-Ohm outputs an 250 Ohm HP usually sounds better, than an 32 Ohm HP for example. But since the mobile revolution more and more hp-outputs are low impedance <5 Ohm for energy efficiency and low-voltage reasons. On those outputs 32 Ohm headphones can sound beautiful and strong, as the recommended output:input ratio of 1:8 takes place.

Last edited by groovy (16-09-2017 15:57)

OK, let's say I have high impedance headphones. I'm running Pianoteq out of a Xenyx Q802USB. The headphone output goes really loud. Why do I need a headphone amp besides?

Specs say this about headphone output: +21dBu / 150 Ohms (+21dBm). I don't know what this gibberish means!

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Re: headphone impedence.   The Apogee groove is an interesting dac/amp (I have no connection with Apogee) because it uses a "constant current" drive that compensates for any impedence curve of headphones up to 600 ohms. In theory, this means that the amp will match any load that the headphone requires regardless of impedance changes and so the headphones will play "truer" to the the frequency response curve for which they were designed.

Last edited by bebop603 (16-09-2017 19:22)

beakybird wrote:

OK, let's say I have high impedance headphones. I'm running Pianoteq out of a Xenyx Q802USB. The headphone output goes really loud. Why do I need a headphone amp besides?

Specs say this about headphone output: +21dBu / 150 Ohms (+21dBm). I don't know what this gibberish means!

That means your Phones Output can provide max. 8.7 Veff (=21dBu) when a HP with 150 Ohm is connected. The output-impedance is not specified in the Behringer Xenyx manual, could be anything.

How high is the impedance of your headphones, beakybird?

@bebop603
I have problems with that Apogee "gibberish": Constant Current Drive™
They want to "compensates for the nonlinearities – acoustic, mechanical or electrical" [1]

Acoustic?!?

Maybe it is just marketing speech to say it has near zero output impedance (but I don't know) with a little magic. Have you heard that little soap bar with pianoteq?

[1] http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

groovy wrote:
beakybird wrote:

That means your Phones Output can provide max. 8.7 Veff (=21dBu) when a HP with 150 Ohm is connected. The output-impedance is not specified in the Behringer Xenyx manual, could be anything.

@bebop603
I have problems with that Apogee "gibberish": Constant Current Drive™
They want to "compensates for the nonlinearities – acoustic, mechanical or electrical" [1]

Acoustic?!?

Maybe it is just marketing speech to say it has near zero output impedance (but I don't know) with a little magic. Have you heard that little soap bar with pianoteq?

[1] http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

Yes, I understand the electrical part but have no idea how a constant-current drive could compensate for acoustic or mechanical nonlinearities. Marketing people. :0
I've been using the apogee groove for the last 2 months with pianoteq.  The sound with Senn HD600 is comparable to my rather hefty headphone amp (MK V Littledot dual mono) driven by an Echo Indigo, except just a hair softer on the very top end.  I like the Apogee with Pianoteq: It's literally plug and play from a usb2 port (mac mini) and latency is 1.2 msec(undetectable to my ears). I'd recommend it, especially if you can find one for a discount on the $295 which is not hard if you look.  B and H (in the States) sell preowned versions for about 2/3 the price.

Last edited by bebop603 (16-09-2017 23:58)

Re high impedance phones sounding better - I have seen it stated that all other things being equal, high impedance phones may sound superior because the voice coil has a lower mass, and is therefore easier to control - less "bouncing around" due to the inertia of the coil.

I think there is something in the current amp thing - it's not all snake oil. However, it can also cause a different problem, as described here:  https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/c...rent-drive

Greg.

Last edited by skip (17-09-2017 03:16)

groovy wrote:

I just sold my Sennheiser HD650 headphones because I was getting noise complaints from family that I don't get with my Audio Technica ATH-M50X. For solo digital piano, I liked the much cheaper Audio Technica headphones as much as the Sennheiser HD650.

I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm model. I think, but I'm not sure, that the Xenyx will provide enough power to it. I have an Ocean Bravo headphone amp as well that I haven't been using.

I can't afford the Apogee Groove, but it looks really cool!

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

@bebop603

MK V Littledot has 32 Ohm output-impdance [1] and HD600 has 300 Ohm input-impedance. That is around 1:10 and should match just from this point of view.

I suppose the Apogee Groove as a mobile USB-device has much less than 32 Ohm and should fit too (when it has enough power being an 5V USB device). Apogee and Behringer do no specify the output-impedance of the phones output.       

@skip
Yes, the dynamic equalizing with Constant Current Drive™ is not snake-oil but patent-oil ;-)

@beakybird
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50X has 38 Ohm. Behringer mixers sometimes have 47 Ohm output-impedance (don't know for the Xenyx Q802USB). If 47 Ohm should be true, 38 Ohm and even 80 Ohm can be critcal (bass hump, intransparency). But at least depends on your liking. - Power enough has the Xenyx, from what I read, no separate headphone-amp needed in this regard IMHO.

[1] https://www.head-fi.org/threads/little-...ce.603269/

Last edited by groovy (17-09-2017 10:03)