Topic: Mackie CR4 Sufficient Enough?

Hey guys, first post here. After lots of research and going back and forth, I finally decided to buy Pianoteq 6. Still waiting for the audio interface to come by mail.

I am an adult beginner/intermediate and play piano for enjoyment.

I have a set of Mackie CR4's from before connected straight to the line outs of my dp ES110, which I'm now going to use for Pianoteq. Did a bit of Googling but didn't find results relating to this specific setup.

What's everyone's opinion on these speakers, is it sufficient enough or should I sell and invest in a more beastly set. I know this question is subjective, but does anyone have experience with a similar setup and find that you needed to upgrade down the track? Or were you happy with it...

Cheers Law

Re: Mackie CR4 Sufficient Enough?

Law wrote:

Hey guys, first post here. After lots of research and going back and forth, I finally decided to buy Pianoteq 6. Still waiting for the audio interface to come by mail.

Welcome

Law wrote:

I have a set of Mackie CR4's from before connected straight to the line outs of my dp ES110, which I'm now going to use for Pianoteq. Did a bit of Googling but didn't find results relating to this specific setup.

What's everyone's opinion on these speakers, is it sufficient enough or should I sell and invest in a more beastly set. I know this question is subjective, but does anyone have experience with a similar setup and find that you needed to upgrade down the track? Or were you happy with it...

Cheers Law

I would suggest that you run some piano CD's through the speakers (setup where you will have them for pianoteq) and see what you think of the reproduction.

I envy your sound in a good way)

The audio interface (low budget uca222) arrived today. Hooked everything up, settled with 256 samples, 96 polyphony. Very impressed indeed. Compared to before (dp hooked up to the monitors), it felt like the DP came alive. Loved the nuances, from the reverb to the velocity curve and just the sound in general. It felt like it had its own personality, esp when you mess with the condition slider - favorite is definitely the Steinway D. Yet to explore everything, spent a couple of hours just playing cos I enjoyed it so much.

Law wrote:

The audio interface (low budget uca222) arrived today. Hooked everything up, settled with 256 samples, 96 polyphony. Very impressed indeed. Compared to before (dp hooked up to the monitors), it felt like the DP came alive. Loved the nuances, from the reverb to the velocity curve and just the sound in general. It felt like it had its own personality, esp when you mess with the condition slider - favorite is definitely the Steinway D. Yet to explore everything, spent a couple of hours just playing cos I enjoyed it so much.

Hi Law, your comment get my attention, i'm searching for ways to get the more realistic piano sound possible with a modest budget and the mackies cr4 and the UCA222 are definitely an option for me. I have a Yamaha CLP470 and pianoteq 6, would you recommend this setup?. (I'm only interested in home practice).

Thanks!.