Re: Pianoteq 6

Gilles wrote:

This is probably an inconsistency between version 5 and 6 since the tuning section has been considerably reworked and improved. Maybe this could be considered as a bug...

I think it used to be a bug (that a 12 degrees scale is automatically unwrapped to 88 degrees, when a 88 notes kbm is loaded), but I understand why this behaviour was also desirable, so we will try to figure something, and improve the compatibility with v5 fxps.

The new Advanced tuning panel is a Scala editor (you can save scala files) but the keyboard mappings (kbm files) can only be loaded, probably because any alteration to keyboard mapping is now saved with the preset. Julien can correct me if I'm wrong here, this is guesswork on my part...

You can export the text data corresponding to the current scl file and kbm file data  with the 'copy to clipboard' menu entries in the 'temperament' and 'keyboard mapping' of the tuning panel.

pooispoois wrote:

Where is the "chord detection" feature? I searched all over the interface and options, played a bunch of music (both with computer keyboard and virtual keyboard as my usual keyboard is unavailable) and played back some midi files I recorded in the previous version and that feature is nowhere to be found. The new Pianoteq 6 Manual also seems to make no mention of this feature at all!

See the symbols above the keyboard under the effect buttons.

http://i.piccy.info/i9/62d2997a3cf7a1bda0ab7769a1fe67a2/1504978649/11676/1178345/Snymok_ekrana_2017_09_09_v_20_35_25_240.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2017-09-09-17-37/i9-11557958/240x222-r/i.gif

Regarding the chord detection feature, many people are not seeing it because.. it is displayed at the wrong place in the STAGE version (this place being outside of the interface , you cannot see it ). I'm not too proud of this bug.

We will post an update to the STAGE version soon, sorry for that.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Whereas the recent Model B and Grotrian were outstanding in Pianoteq 5, in Pianoteq 6, ALL of the pianos (each one updated and improved) sound magnificent

This is definitely true.  I hadn't used Bluethner in a long time because Model B and Grotrian sounded better, but now in Pianoteq 6 the "Bluethner Home" setting is my new favorite.

Last edited by kbrasee (09-09-2017 20:27)

I have PTQ6 Standard. For what it's worth, chords only are detected if they're held for a second or two. Fast chord changes - forget about it.

"chord detection" feature can I disable it?

Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

Mr.st.andy wrote:

No, it's always there. And it's good that it is.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
Mr.st.andy wrote:

No, it's always there. And it's good that it is.

Oh yeah? And why would that be?

Maybe it's useful for some but for me it's an entirely superfluous waste of clock cycles.

I.

N1X - PT Pro - Linux

You wouldn't even notice the difference in CPU use if it ever were off with any CPU released in the past 10 or more years, so that argument is flawed.

Last edited by EvilDragon (10-09-2017 11:02)
Hard work and guts!

scherbakov.al wrote:
pooispoois wrote:

Where is the "chord detection" feature? I searched all over the interface and options, played a bunch of music (both with computer keyboard and virtual keyboard as my usual keyboard is unavailable) and played back some midi files I recorded in the previous version and that feature is nowhere to be found. The new Pianoteq 6 Manual also seems to make no mention of this feature at all!

See the symbols above the keyboard under the effect buttons.

http://i.piccy.info/i9/62d2997a3cf7a1bda0ab7769a1fe67a2/1504978649/11676/1178345/Snymok_ekrana_2017_09_09_v_20_35_25_240.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2017-09-09-17-37/i9-11557958/240x222-r/i.gif

I never noted that before. Pianoteq has some really good learning features. They could be brought together more coherently, i.e. keyboard and midi elements.

julien wrote:

Regarding the chord detection feature, many people are not seeing it because.. it is displayed at the wrong place in the STAGE version (this place being outside of the interface , you cannot see it ). I'm not too proud of this bug.

We will post an update to the STAGE version soon, sorry for that.

Thank you for looking into it. It does seem an awesome feature, I will be waiting for the update.

May I suggest some extra care for marketing ?

For example, the vídeo created to promote Steinway-B and pianoteq was very good, nice playing soundtrack, good narration, fine vídeo animation. But it could saved the files separated, to allow easilly update the soundtracks to add the new improved engine.

On my Linux (Ubuntu 17.04) the GUI of Pianoteq 6 is shown so giant that only an upper left corner of the menu bar fits on the display. Even when setting the GUI size to 50%, I cannot see as little as a sixth of the window. Pianoteq 5 has no problems on the same system.
Is there any setting or environment variable which may cause this? According to Xorg.log, the display resolution is expected to be 96 DPI (it is probably much more, but not as many times as Pianoteq 6 clearly thinks).

wanthalf wrote:

On my Linux (Ubuntu 17.04) the GUI of Pianoteq 6 is shown so giant that only an upper left corner of the menu bar fits on the display. Even when setting the GUI size to 50%, I cannot see as little as a sixth of the window. Pianoteq 5 has no problems on the same system.
Is there any setting or environment variable which may cause this? According to Xorg.log, the display resolution is expected to be 96 DPI (it is probably much more, but not as many times as Pianoteq 6 clearly thinks).

Are you using it on a laptop and what is your screen resolution?

EDIT: I had a similar problem (not of that extent) on a netbook with a screen resolution ratio of 1024X600 but with Pianoteq 5, but you say its Ptq6 specific.

Last edited by Lucy (10-09-2017 23:29)

Lucy wrote:

The configuration is truly a bit unusual custom combination: Intel NUC D54250 with a 7" LCD 1280x800 touchscreen from Chalk-Elec (https://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=128...ry=3094861).

wanthalf wrote:
Lucy wrote:

The configuration is truly a bit unusual custom combination: Intel NUC D54250 with a 7" LCD 1280x800 touchscreen from Chalk-Elec (https://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=128...ry=3094861).

I edited above... my strong feeling is that the problem comes from the unusual resolution. I had a netbook (10'') with unusual combination too which didn't like some softwares, including ptq5.

Since you didn't have the problem with ptq5, it might be that Modartt didn't try the software on your resolution yet... maybe 6.0.x or something will fix that.

Last edited by Lucy (10-09-2017 23:39)

Lucy wrote:

Since you didn't have the problem with ptq5, it might be that Modartt didn't try the software on your resolution yet... maybe 6.0.x or something will fix that.

I guess so, too. I just wonder whether I should report some bug or just wait... or, guess, they hopefully follow these discussions as well?

I guess they're reading everything here.

But you have to expect to have problems when using a 7'' weirdo screen with a Linux distro.

Last edited by Lucy (11-09-2017 00:26)

We try to read everything, but a proper bug report is generally more efficient. For example in this case, having the output of xdpyinfo command might help. I believe the scaling factor detected by Pianoteq is wrong (it should be 1 on regular displays, 2 on retina displays , etc.). I also wonder what is the output of those two commands:

/usr/bin/gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
/usr/bin/dconf read /com/ubuntu/user-interface/scale-factor

You can send that to us at https://www.pianoteq.com/support_form?direct

Lucy wrote:

But you have to expect to have problems when using a 7'' weirdo screen with a Linux distro.

Careful with calling "weirdo" everything you just don't know. ;-) Everything else works OK with the display. Including PTQ5. And, BTW, I've just connected the same display to a more "weirdo" Pine64 (aarch64) loaded with Armbian Xenial and... surprise, the arm version of PTQ6 runs and scales just well! :-) (The performance of the HW is still far from perfect, unfortunately, as expected.)

julien wrote:

For example in this case, having the output of xdpyinfo command might help.

I thought so. Thanks, I will try to provide you with the data. I expect some ubuntu glitches there as well...

Gilles wrote:
MUZE wrote:
MUZE wrote:

I'm finding all my saved patches that used the '88 notes scale' keymap are opening with no keys, or just a few, mapped. The 88 note scale no longer seems to be available, what do I do with these?

Anyone else having this issue?

This keymap (88 notes scale) seems to work differently in version 6, it only defines the lowest octave, the other notes are left undefined as you can see in the new Advanced tuning panel. If you use it with a scala file having 88 values, I think changing your preset for the default linear mapping will work correctly and generate the correct full mapping. I have tested it myself. This is probably an inconsistency between version 5 and 6 since the tuning section has been considerably reworked and improved. Maybe this could be considered as a bug...

Yes that's what I'm seeing but the 88 key map is not even available as an option in the midi tuning editor so maybe it was left out? If so this is a bug?

julien wrote:
Gilles wrote:

This is probably an inconsistency between version 5 and 6 since the tuning section has been considerably reworked and improved. Maybe this could be considered as a bug...

I think it used to be a bug (that a 12 degrees scale is automatically unwrapped to 88 degrees, when a 88 notes kbm is loaded), but I understand why this behaviour was also desirable, so we will try to figure something, and improve the compatibility with v5 fxps.

ah yes, thanks

wanthalf wrote:
Lucy wrote:

Careful with calling "weirdo" everything you just don't know. ;-) Everything else works OK with the display. Including PTQ5. And, BTW, I've just connected the same display to a more "weirdo" Pine64 (aarch64) loaded with Armbian Xenial and... surprise, the arm version of PTQ6 runs and scales just well! :-) (The performance of the HW is still far from perfect, unfortunately, as expected.)

julien wrote:

For example in this case, having the output of xdpyinfo command might help.

I thought so. Thanks, I will try to provide you with the data. I expect some ubuntu glitches there as well...

That's really nice, you've tried it on the 514MB or 2GB model? Is it usable with 20-30 polyphony?

(I posted this in a thread I started about a couple instruments, but am posting it here too, because I want my comment to be more widely seen.)

just upgraded to Pianoteq 6.
and am loving it. alot.
played around a little with the Steinways and the K2.
really awesome!!!

Lucy wrote:

That's really nice, you've tried it on the 514MB or 2GB model? Is it usable with 20-30 polyphony?

Yes, looks like that. At least as long as one keeps the internal sample rate down to 24kHz. (I'm still not sure the CPU is really running fixed at the max. speed.)
(It's the 1GB model. But I do not think RAM is as important in this case.)

If case you haven't figured out how to install Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi 3, there is an in-depth tutorial on how to do it that you can download from Pianoteq. Here's the link:
https://www.pianoteq.com//downloads/gen...Pi3_v3.pdf

The link can be also found in
https://www.pianoteq.com/faq
under the question "How do I install Pianoteq on Raspberry Pi 3?"
The tutorial shows how to achieve higher internal sampling rates (48KHz or 44.1KHz). I am currently running Pianoteq 6 on my Raspberry Pi 3 at an internal sampling rate of 48KHz.
Have fun!