Topic: Feature request

Hi,

Since Pianoteq has a complete effects module and can export audio files...

In a future version, could it be possible to include an option to allow a normalization in the process of audio file export?

This way there would be no need to use an external software just to do that. Even more easy for simple projects like single tracks recordings.

Thanks,

SK

Re: Feature request

+1

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Normalization seems like a nice feature for some, so long as it is optional or has a specifiable maximum level (such as decibel).

I personally prefer to make my final audio files at between -2.5 to -4 dBFS (less than full-scale or maximum decibels), because when uploading to audio-file servers such as SoundCloud the files are automatically transcoded (into a much smaller MP3 form, for example), and when the original file has peaks that are already at its maximum level, with no headroom for the transcoder, pops, crackles and other audio artifacts can be introduced by the transcoding process that degrade and sometimes nearly ruin one's audio file.

So, in my opinion, if normalization is added as a feature to Pianoteq, it should--

* be optional, not automatic
* be able to have a limit specified (other than 0 dBFS maximum)

(or as Philippe writes below, a simple option whether or not to normalize (increase the volume of) an audio file to a -1 dB maximum, which leaves a little headroom for further processing or mixing)

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (22-11-2016 18:24)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

If such a feature would be added, I think it should remain simple: a checkbox to choose whether the output is nomalized or not, with a -1dB security.

-0.1 would be better for WAV (-1 for MP3).

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

-0.1 would be better for WAV (-1 for MP3).

I disagree. -0.1 as a WAV, transcoded to MP3 or other format by an audio-file server such as SoundCloud.com, where the user has no control of the automatic transcoding process, is not enough headroom in my opinion and can introduce clipping, distortion, pops, clicks and other audio artifacts. I have tried many versions of audio files including WAV and FLAC uploaded to SoundCloud or BandCamp with as high a normalization as possible, and it seemed, purely from my own experiments, that -1 decibel full scale was the minimum headroom necessary, and after trying -1.5dB, I eventually normalized to -2.5dB or lower to prevent any possible degradation and save a lot of work on my part.

So-- I wish to respecfully disagree, and believe that -1 dB or lower would be better, even if one plans to import the WAV into another audio recording application for mixing, because those other audio recording applications usually (I'm guessing almost always) have a very simple normalization process to maximize the level if desired.

However, if you still strongly disagree, then that might be an indication that it might be useful, if a normalization feature were added to the Pianoteq export function, for a user to be able to specify the level he or she would prefer the WAV or FLAC file to be normalized to, in addition to the checkbox to turn normalization on or off before export.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (23-11-2016 20:46)
--

That solely depends on the MP3 encoder being used. Latest LAME doesn't have issues with clipping, from what I can tell.

So yeah, I'd definitely love to be able to adjust the normalization level. I think a slider with range from -6 dB to 0 dB would be great.

Hard work and guts!

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

a -1dB security.

Different people have different preferences. Why not a field for that? Maybe it's better to set up it once in preferences, and then just use a single checkbox.

Last edited by Ross (23-11-2016 19:34)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

EvilDragon wrote:

I think a slider with range from -6 dB to 0 dB would be great.

That seems like a good idea, or a drop-down menu prepopulated with specific choices (such as 0 to -6 dB in .5 dB increments), or a user-editable numerical field, if normalization upon export were to be added as a feature to Pianoteq.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (23-11-2016 20:19)
--

I see that normalize is available now in PTQ6 when you export, though I'm not sure exactly how it works.  It is just a checkbox and when I selected it, it lowered the volume of the WAV a little compared to non-normalized.