Topic: Pianoteq 6

We need a Pianoteq 6 topic. Here it is.

Last edited by brooster (06-09-2017 17:33)

Re: Pianoteq 6

Major upgrade. So many new and improved features, and brilliantly-updated instruments. Whereas the recent Model B and Grotrian were outstanding in Pianoteq 5, in Pianoteq 6, ALL of the pianos (each one updated and improved) sound magnificent, and it's great to see the official Steinway & Sons approval and authorization for the new, updated studio, conservatory and home Model B, and the concert-stage Model D grand pianos.

Really great Pianoteq release.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (06-09-2017 17:53)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

There is a small error, if you are using Pianoteq 5 and check for updates, the website shows the following text:
"
Check for new Pianoteq versions

You already have the latest Pianoteq 5 version (5.8.1/20150630).

PIANOTEQ 6 released
The latest major release is Pianoteq 6.
The upgrade is free to all Pianoteq customers who registered or purchased a licence or upgrade after 1 March 2013.

If you are eligible, you can download Pianoteq 6 from the user area.
Else you can purchase it for 29€ ($39) in our online store.
"
I tried to activate it, but, as I suspected, that date is wrong, I believe it applies for an upgrade from version 4 to 5.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Recently purchased Pianoteq Stage 5 and was supplied an update to 6.
I give my thanks and appreciation to the team.
Sounding better and better

marcos daniel wrote:

There is a small error, if you are using Pianoteq 5 and check for updates, the website shows the following text:

Yes, as you suspected, the date was incorrect and referred to upgrading to version 5. We have corrected it.
The rule is: customers who purchased Pianoteq after 1 September 2016 are entitled to a free upgrade to version 6.
All others are welcome to upgrade here.

Has anyone tested it on a Raspberry Pi 3?
I believe its micoprocessor is a little weak.
Is there an RT kernel for Pi board?
(Just being anxious, since I will test it on weekend, I'm short of time now)

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:

Has anyone tested it on a Raspberry Pi 3?
I believe its micoprocessor is a little weak.
Is there an RT kernel for Pi board?
(Just being anxious, since I will test it on weekend, I'm short of time now)

Unless there is an ARM version which I am not aware of, won't run.

wow, I just saw ARM architecture was added... what does that mean? What devices are supported?

Raspberry Pi 3 at the moment, I think.

Hard work and guts!

Lucy wrote:

Unless there is an ARM version which I am not aware of, won't run.

Version 6 has its ARM binary!

Kawai CL35 & MP11

EvilDragon wrote:

quoted from the PTQ main page:
"ARM architecture (Linux version only, for example on Raspberry Pi 3 boards)"

EvilDragon wrote:

That's great, I'll wait reviews running OK on it before I try to run it on a RP3... just in case ...

Modartt proved us wrong, they did finally  port it on ARM... I guess one step closer to the iOS.

Last edited by Lucy (06-09-2017 23:45)

Interested in matching presets in versions 5 and 6:

Pianoteq 5                                                 Pianoteq 6 

Bluethner Daily                   =   
D4 Daily Practice                 =
Grotrian Concert Royal      =      Grotrian Concert Royal
Model B Daily                      =

Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

Lucy wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

That's great, I'll wait reviews running OK on it before I try to run it on a RP3... just in case ...

Modartt proved us wrong, they did finally  port it on ARM... I guess one step closer to the iOS.

Raspberry Pi 3 opens interesting new ideas:
Since in many digital pianos there is a lot of unused space under the top
(I remember my old Yamaha Clavinova CLP 575)
one could easily put a Raspberry Pi in it, install Linux and PTQ then,
maybe even an additional USB-Audio Interface,
so you have a major sort of "hardware upgrade" of your old digital piano.
You may not even need a  screen interface normally, provided, you play the same intrument and preset
(it should be possible to start that automatically without user interaction).

Last edited by Arkanda (07-09-2017 12:07)

Those called "Daily" became "Home", that was suggested during the beta tests to have a more coherent preset naming throughout the instruments.

Lucy wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

From Modartt faq:

Will there be a version for the iPad?
Currently, we cannot tell when/if we will release a version for the iPad.

Soundwise nice update. Although I got quite used to the softer (less precise) sound of Pianoteq 5 in the mid-range. With version 6 Model D and K to me are more playable than in version 5 - still prefer Model B, Blüthner and Grotrian though
Have to check out the Bechstein now (Kremsegg) - how that feels and sounds now.

Also like the chord detection.

The UI - well, for the grands it is ok - text is more readable (better font) but the e-pianos look cheesy - version 5 design was nicer - partly less noisy, less contrast within the plugin background, better looking. Can we get an option for the old (version 5) skin?

App icon is much better - it is much better recognisable in the win10 taskbar.

great update except for the UI.

just my thoughts,

best

Last edited by steff3 (08-09-2017 04:41)

Same thoughts on the electrics GUI. But then I also didn't care for the v5 one. Too cheesy orange and red. Prefer the dark blue tones of the acoustics.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

And I like the interface of the program .... Of course, if there was a choice for the user ....

Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

I'm finding all my saved patches that used the '88 notes scale' keymap are opening with no keys, or just a few, mapped. The 88 note scale no longer seems to be available, what do I do with these?

Am I the only one that can't find the uprade link?
I have been a long time user and harp beta-tester of PianoTeq but i can't find where to upgrade.

@leogardini

https://www.pianoteq.com/upgrades

Thank you, but since I have Pianoteq stuff in my template for years I thought I was supposed to get the free upgrade.
What am I missing here?

I guess i know what going on. The free upgrade is for newer users and not old users.
Hum, it doesn't sound fair at all to me. Old supporters have to pay and new ones have not.
I've got Pianoteq Pro and I am afraid I will miss many of the cool features if I upgrade to the standard because the Pro version is unaffordable for me now.

Well, I love PianoTeq and I even have your link in my website, but having to pay a lot of money for an upgrade is something that makes me disappointed.

Last edited by leogardini (08-09-2017 06:52)

leogardini wrote:

I guess i know what going on. The free upgrade is for newer users and not old users.
Hum, it doesn't sound fair at all to me. Old supporters have to pay and new ones have not.

My understanding is that users that have recently bought Pianoteq are allowed a free upgrade.  Quite right too, there's nothing more infuriating than buying a piece of software only to learn that if you'd waited a couple of months you could have bought an improved version for the same price.  Thankfully, that's quite a common pricing strategy.   The rest of us pay a small amount to upgrade to Pianoteq 6.

leogardini wrote:

I've got Pianoteq Pro and I am afraid I will miss many of the cool features if I upgrade to the standard because the Pro version is unaffordable for me now.

Well, I love PianoTeq and I even have your link in my website, but having to pay a lot of money for an upgrade is something that makes me disappointed.

29 Euros is not a lot of money. Plus, grace periods like this are common strategies.

Hard work and guts!

Pianoteq 5 Pro > Pianoteq 6 Pro - same 29 Euros.

leogardini wrote:

Come on, Pianoteq makes a major upgrade every 2-3 years.
It costs 29 euros to have the last version installed, updated with all the minor updates and fixes for the next 2-3 years.
I find this deal extremely fair.
Just compare to Logic, Magix, Kontakt and a lot of other software editors... you always pay for a new version and it is usually much more expensive.

stamkorg wrote:
leogardini wrote:

It costs 29 euros to have the last version installed, updated with all the minor updates and fixes for the next 2-3 years.
Just compare to Logic, Magix, Kontakt and a lot of other software editors... you always pay for a new version and it is usually much more expensive.

I agree - for the amount of work & dedication which has gone into V6, I'd suggest 29 euro is very reasonable.

I couldn't agree more. 29 euros for a version upgrade is more than reasonable...plus...if you participate in the annual Pianoteq Piano Competition (which is a very fun thing in itself), even if you don't win you will get a 20 euro gift certificate, which reduces the upgrade cost to 9 euros!

Pianoguy wrote:
stamkorg wrote:
leogardini wrote:

I agree - for the amount of work & dedication which has gone into V6, I'd suggest 29 euro is very reasonable.

Very fair!

Sure 29 euros is a bargain for such quality instruments, but I have been talking about the 300 euros upgrade.
I am currently using the Pro version and I see no advantage to upgrade to the basic version (29 bucks) if I will loose all the features that I have been using.

Is the 300 the real deal or I am not understanding the upgrade of the Pro version?

Last edited by leogardini (08-09-2017 17:21)

leogardini wrote:

Sure 29 euros is a bargain for such quality instruments, but I have been talking about the 300 euros upgrade.
I am currently using the Pro version and I see no advantage to upgrade to the basic version (29 bucks) if I will loose all the features that I have been using.

Is the 300 the real deal or I am not understanding the upgrade of the Pro version?

From pro 5 to pro 6, it is still 29 euros.

that's the cost from the same variation (stage, std, pro) from version 5 to 6.

Last edited by Lucy (08-09-2017 17:46)

leogardini wrote:

As you own the Pro version, your update for a very friendly 29 Euro will of course be the Pro version of v6. You do not lose anything. Just if someone owned STAGE and would like to upgrade to Pro version 6 it would be 300 .

Just updated my license, as usual, and am very happy to play tonight - interesting remarks in this thread about the differences in the mid range between 5 and 6, I'll see what I find. It is no problem, as anyone knows, to keep both versions, so nobody loses anything but surely wins a lot .

For me each upgrade since years was a great "play more" nudge, too.

edit: Lucy was faster

Last edited by Klemperer (08-09-2017 17:44)

Lucy wrote:
leogardini wrote:

From pro 5 to pro 6, it is still 29 euros.

Ok thank you. I was assuming the upgrade for the Pro version users was 300 euros.
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I think some of the issues people are experiencing are due to eq/reverb.

I'm only running stage, but for the steinway d, try using the soft preset in the equalizer. Then, in the effects screen, try boosting around 100hz. Also, I find turning up the reverb and increasing early-reflections makes it sound much more like a recording from a real room. What would help as well would be a slider allowing the introduction of room noise. No mic'd recording is free of noise, so the quiet background of pianoteq kind of takes away from the sense of listening to a real, mic'd piano.

Also, make sure to adjust the condition slider. I find between .7 and 1 to sound natural.

Last edited by musichascolors (08-09-2017 19:50)

I am impressed. There is no other word. The details reworked for version 6 are massive in pianos, EPs and vibraphones. I think the time has come for me to finally purchase the YC5 pack because now it truly sounds like that japanese piano.
From the deep of my heart, Thank You!

Last edited by Chopin87 (08-09-2017 21:09)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Anyone else Problems with touch Display / touch Screen?

My pencil and touch Display on my Surface 4 Pro is not working anylonger with Pianoteq 6.

Anyone else focussing the same Problems please?

Thx a lot.

Alexander

Where is the "chord detection" feature? I searched all over the interface and options, played a bunch of music (both with computer keyboard and virtual keyboard as my usual keyboard is unavailable) and played back some midi files I recorded in the previous version and that feature is nowhere to be found. The new Pianoteq 6 Manual also seems to make no mention of this feature at all!

Last edited by pooispoois (09-09-2017 01:14)

pooispoois wrote:

Where is the "chord detection" feature? I searched all over the interface and options, played a bunch of music (both with computer keyboard and virtual keyboard as my usual keyboard is unavailable) and played back some midi files I recorded in the previous version and that feature is nowhere to be found. The new Pianoteq 6 Manual also seems to make no mention of this feature at all!

The chord detection feature is located at the lower right hand side of the User Interface, just over the virtual keyboard.  Annotated chords appear in white font when chords are detected.

Cheers,

Joe

galuwen2495 wrote:

My pencil and touch Display on my Surface 4 Pro is not working anylonger with Pianoteq 6.

Thx a lot.

Alexander

I have also encountered the same problem that my computer is surface 3
Other touch-screen computer is the same problem.LENOVO YOGA 710

Last edited by tly001 (09-09-2017 02:44)

Pianoteq website was reworked. Nice, the sound files were updated. There was a new version of pianoteq years ago which they forgot to update the sound files. Thankfully they did not forgot this time.

The sound it's clear than ever, more clear than many sampled libraries.

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-09-2017 03:09)

tly001 wrote:
galuwen2495 wrote:

Thx a lot.

Alexander

I have also encountered the same problem that my computer is surface 3
Other touch-screen computer is the same problem.LENOVO YOGA 710

Ah Great. Thx for the quick reply. Then it will be patched very quick for shure. They have the very best service I ever had experienced :-). Hurray PIANOTEQ!!!!

My gosh it sounds SO GREAT NOW!!!!!!!!

Alexander

I have barely had time to check anything on the new software, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate very much how seemlessly and easily it installed on my Windows 10 running laptops. I use two iterations of the software to run a dual keyboard setup, and it installed without a hitch and worked immediately.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

I am struck by the fact that the upgrade, at 29 Euros or 39 dollars US, is so cheap that it's hard to see why anyone would choose not to upgrade to PTQ 6, based on the pretty much universal positive feedback.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Major upgrade. So many new and improved features, and brilliantly-updated instruments. Whereas the recent Model B and Grotrian were outstanding in Pianoteq 5, in Pianoteq 6, ALL of the pianos (each one updated and improved) sound magnificent, and it's great to see the official Steinway & Sons approval and authorization for the new, updated studio, conservatory and home Model B, and the concert-stage Model D grand pianos.

Really great Pianoteq release.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Hehe, for gods sake it works with mouse or built in track pad. So.....*Tesla voice on* THE DEVICE IS OPERATIONAL!! *Tesla voice off*.

Alexander

PS.: hope they fix it soon...

MUZE wrote:

I'm finding all my saved patches that used the '88 notes scale' keymap are opening with no keys, or just a few, mapped. The 88 note scale no longer seems to be available, what do I do with these?

Anyone else having this issue?

jcfelice88keys wrote:
pooispoois wrote:

The chord detection feature is located at the lower right hand side of the User Interface, just over the virtual keyboard.  Annotated chords appear in white font when chords are detected.

Cheers,

Joe

I still cannot find it, does it require a Standard or Pro version (my version is Pianoteq 6 Stage)? Also oddly enough, I inspected every frame of the entire "Pianoteq 6 by cubase.it" video in Pianoteq's Youtube channel and still couldn't find any chord being detected (is it sitting on my blind spot or what?). All I have on the right hand side of the interface over the virtual keyboard is an exclamation point button that allows me to reset MIDI.

I have since tried various combinations of latency settings (don't think they would have any influence on the chord detection feature, but it was worth a shot), with no success. I crafted a specific midi file full of chords (so that Note Off and timing issues of real live playing wouldn't be an issue) and still couldn't trigger the feature. Can anyone share a screenshot/video of the feature being triggered or a midi file that is known to trigger the feature?

Thank you for all your help.

EDIT: After reviewing the video frame by frame again finally found one instance of the feature being triggered at 3:35. Does seem to be REALLY hard to trigger though, even a midi file full of vertical chords does not seem to trigger a single chord recognition. I have yet to suceed in playing one recognized chord (perhaps this is related to chord recognition only working when using a keyboard input, and not when playing back a midi file or using the virtual keyboard)?

Last edited by pooispoois (09-09-2017 10:00)

MUZE wrote:
MUZE wrote:

Anyone else having this issue?

This keymap (88 notes scale) seems to work differently in version 6, it only defines the lowest octave, the other notes are left undefined as you can see in the new Advanced tuning panel. If you use it with a scala file having 88 values, I think changing your preset for the default linear mapping will work correctly and generate the correct full mapping. I have tested it myself. This is probably an inconsistency between version 5 and 6 since the tuning section has been considerably reworked and improved. Maybe this could be considered as a bug...

The new Advanced tuning panel is a Scala editor (you can save scala files) but the keyboard mappings (kbm files) can only be loaded, probably because any alteration to keyboard mapping is now saved with the preset. Julien can correct me if I'm wrong here, this is guesswork on my part...

Last edited by Gilles (09-09-2017 14:38)

pooispoois wrote:

I still cannot find it, does it require a Standard or Pro version (my version is Pianoteq 6 Stage)?

Yes, it does not apply to Stage.