Topic: How to activate upgrade (from 5 to 6) ?

I'm on Linux and I bought the upgrade from 5 (Standard) to 6 (Standard).  No problem - who could resist ? :-)

But I'm trying to avoid making a mess of the "physical" upgrade process.

I now have two folders in my home directory, one for my (activated) Pianoteq 5 and a new one for the Pianoteq 6 version.

When I run Pianoteq 6 it (unsurprisingly) wants to be activated and I tried that but it fails.

I know I have Pianoteq 5 activated under my computer's name, so perhaps I have to deactivate that version first ?

But there are dire warnings about deactivation disabling Pianoteq permanently on a system, so I'm loath to try it until I know it's what I should be doing.

Can someone who knows the process (either works for Modartt or did the upgrade already, please) tell me what I need to do to avoid problems ?

Thanks in advance.

StephenG

Re: How to activate upgrade (from 5 to 6) ?

I am on Linux and did not need to deactivate 5... did you choose quick activation or manual?

Activations are managed on a per-computer basis, not a per-version basis, as far as I know. When you log in to the User Area from the Pianoteq/Support page, over on the right underneath your license information there is a link to "Manage Activations." You can see which computers are activated, or deactivate old computers. You do NOT want to deactivate a computer you are going to continue to use with Pianoteq, as once that computer has been deactivated the system won't allow you to activate Pianoteq on that computer again.

On my Macs, I downloaded and installed Pianoteq 6 and went through the quick activation (online) process. Once I knew it was working, I went to my Pianoteq 5 folder and ran the Uninstall app from my Pianoteq 5 folder in order to remove Pianoteq 5.

Last edited by tfort (07-09-2017 03:08)

sjgcit wrote:

I'm on Linux and I bought the upgrade from 5 (Standard) to 6 (Standard).  No problem - who could resist ? :-)

When I run Pianoteq 6 it (unsurprisingly) wants to be activated and I tried that but it fails.

Did you get a new licence number when you upgraded to v6? If so, use that license number. I keep a text file on my computer in the Pianoteq directory with the licenses for Pianoteq and the various instruments, and back it up when I back up my home directory, just for security.

I'm guessing it might also be helpful if you describe or elaborate on exactly what "but it fails" means, since there are probably at least several ways and reasons a process might fail.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Thanks everyone for chipping in with advice/questions.

Lucy wrote:

I am on Linux and did not need to deactivate 5... did you choose quick activation or manual?

I was using "Quick Activation".

Did you create a new folder for Pianoteq 6 (and run it from there) or did you copy the files from Pianoteq 6 into the Pianoteq 5 folder (and run from your Pianoteq 5 folder) ?

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Did you get a new licence number when you upgraded to v6?

I did not get a new license number for version 6.  Should I ?

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

you describe or elaborate on exactly what "but it fails" means

Indeed.  Sorry about that.

It complains it cannot connect to the Pianoteq website.  But no elaboration (and no info about e.g. needing a special port, but I tried with my firewall deactivated so unless my ISP is blocking something ... ?)

tfort wrote:

Activations are managed on a per-computer basis, not a per-version basis, as far as I know.

Thanks for the warning.

tfort wrote:

On my Macs, I downloaded and installed Pianoteq 6 and went through the quick activation (online) process. Once I knew it was working, I went to my Pianoteq 5 folder and ran the Uninstall app from my Pianoteq 5 folder in order to remove Pianoteq 5.

The Linux version does not seem to have an uninstall app, although that's pretty normal for Linux.

StephenG

When you press on Pianoteq 6, there will be already a license code, don't change it. For the activation, don't choose quick activation (I always had trouble with that)... choose the other one. Once you chose the other one, just press on the button which says that it will directly send you to the link which give you the long activation code... just copy and past it and activate...

Last edited by Lucy (07-09-2017 06:19)

With some Internet connections (like rural satellite Internet) there is a latency/lag and time-out that causes the "Quick Activation" to fail, in which case the "Manual Activation" works fine.

If you didn't get a new license number, your old license number should work.

Just suggestions.

In Linux, the compressed archive has all the files the version needs, inside a folder entitled "Pianoteq 6"

I just extract that to a suitable location (to the Music directory in my home directory is my preferred place), and create a launcher icon on the desktop that points to (links to) the Pianoteq executable app that is in a subfolder of "Pianoteq 6" and copy any custom presets or whatever from my older Pianoteq folder into the new one after activation and ensuring the new Pianoteq app works fine.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (07-09-2017 06:41)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Problem solved - thanks to all.

Lucy's suggestion to try manual activation worked fine.  Quick activation just doesn't seem to work for me (or Lucy apparently :-)

I'm using Linux Mint 18 64-bit if anyone in Pianoteq is monitoring these posts for possible bugs. :-)

But all working now.

As for the sound - too early to say.  I think I'm so used to version 5 that the changes will take a little getting used to.  Still getting over the Model D getting the stamp of approval from Steinway.  I guess I can't blame the computer for my lousy sounds any more. :-)

The Frenzel still sounds gorgeous anyway.

StephenG

I'm using Linux Mint 18 64-bit if anyone in Pianoteq is monitoring these posts for possible bugs. :-)

There was indeed an issue with quick activation on Linux, it should be OK now. Thanks !

Quick question, to go from 5 to 6. Do I just purchase the upgrade license from the user area, and then apply that serial via Help - About - Update License?

1) Purchase the upgrade

2) When you login to user area you should see version 6 available for download.

3) Download it. :-)

4) Install version 6 (varies from platform to platform, for me on Linux it just involves unpacking to a new folder in my user folder).

5) Run it.  It will ask to activate and you should be able to do it automatically if you're online using Quick Activation.

6) Once mine was activated all my presets and instrument packs were fully active (and updated to the new versions where available).

7) If you use the KiViR or Clarion Bells free add-on instruments (and I do) you need to download the new PTQ files for version 6 and just drag-and-drop them into version 6's main window.

That worked for me (except quick activation on Linux which is now apparently fixed).

As far as I can make out your activation code will be the same as your version 5 one (different for each machine you install on !).

StephenG