Topic: Kawai VPC1 Default Velocity Calibration, etc.

---
A few questions for anyone who may own and use a Kawai VPC1 MIDI keyboard controller--

* Is the default velocity sensitivity of the three-sensors-per-key action fairly smoothly or evenly calibrated by default from the manufacturer, such that there are no noticeable or obvious "hot" (louder) or softer consecutive keys when playing a chromatic scale to test the velocity sensitivity? I'm wondering whether the Kawai editor software is necessary in order to calibrate the velocity sensitivity of individual keys of the MIDI keyboard, since I use Linux and the editor software is available only for Windows and MacOS.

* Is there a problem with key-surface wear and deterioration occurring more quickly than the very slow wear that occurs on a piano over many years?

* Is there a problem with the glossy black paint on the metal case that encloses the keybed, cracking or peeling in one to several years? (Others have suggested that Kawai perhaps ought to consider a powder-coat paint that would hopefully bond better to the metal case/cabinet.)

* Any other complaints or notes about the VPC1?

Thank you.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (26-08-2017 22:57)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Kawai VPC1 Default Velocity Calibration, etc.

For 2 years of intensive play (every day for several hours):
1. The surface of the keys became smooth (the original roughness of the keys was scraped off)
2. There was a small distance between the keys. But this is uncritical. You need to change the cloth in the keys.

Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

Mr.st.andy wrote:

You need to change the cloth in the keys.

Do you perhaps mean felt in the keybed, or the felt bushings in the balance pin holes of the keys?

Thank you for your response.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (27-08-2017 19:09)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Mr.st.andy wrote:

Do you perhaps mean felt in the keybed, or the felt bushings in the key pin holes of the keys?

Yes. Exactly. There may be inaccuracies. I translate "Google Translate". I also worried about the reliability issue before buying. But so far no other problems have been noticed .... I use not 2 years, but 3. A small video was recorded

https://youtu.be/CbGIwBrBE3Y

Last edited by Mr.st.andy (27-08-2017 10:52)
Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

Mr.st.andy wrote:
Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Mr.st.andy wrote:

Do you perhaps mean felt in the keybed, or the felt bushings in the key pin holes of the keys?

Yes. Exactly. There may be inaccuracies. I translate "Google Translate". I also worried about the reliability issue before buying. But so far no other problems have been noticed .... I use not 2 years, but 3. A small video was recorded

Thank you very much for the information and for the video.

--

I just ordered a Kawai VPC1 MIDI controller. I guess I'll see if I like the action or not; I'm guessing I will.

--

If you end up not liking it, might I recommend Roland RD-2000 as a replacement. I liked it far more than VPC-1.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

If you end up not liking it, might I recommend Roland RD-2000 as a replacement. I liked it far more than VPC-1.

Thank you, EvilDragon. I'll do some research into the RD-2000, and thanks for the recommendation.

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Thank you, EvilDragon. I'll do some research into the RD-2000, and thanks for the recommendation.

Two different things, Kawai vpc1 is a midi controler with piano feel keys and for piano lovers, Roland 2000 is a stage piano with different purpose and more then 1000 sounds in it. You need to decide what do you want and need.

Last edited by slobajudge (28-08-2017 23:36)

AND a really great keybed that is also a very nice piano feel, and better than VPC1. Also 8 kg less in weight, which is nothing to sneeze at!

Last edited by EvilDragon (28-08-2017 23:49)
Hard work and guts!

Stephen_Doonan,  am pleased with my VPC1. Already passed a couple of years - there are no problems. The cover of the case is reliable, the keys are the same. And it still excites me) )))

Last edited by scherbakov.al (29-08-2017 09:14)

Yeah,I am also pleased with my VPC1. Keys on Roland are not better as EvilDragon said, they are different, but I dont need so many sounds, and for me Roland 2000 looks like a synth/techno keybed, I dont think I can connect with this looks when I play Chopin or Bach.

Last edited by slobajudge (29-08-2017 10:14)

Well, we're all different. To me VPC1 has a bit of a sluggish response compared to RD-2000 (and no, this is not velocity curve related, I noticed this in other Kawai actions as well, even on their real pianos, so I guess it's their "thing"), and also RD-2000 has a smoother and more consistent action. It's just easier to play to me, so as far as I am concerned: BETTER.

I don't care about looks when playing whatever. I connect with RD-2000 just fine.

Last edited by EvilDragon (29-08-2017 11:50)
Hard work and guts!

I own the VPC1.
The only bad thing about the VPC1 is that the white keys sometimes(not always, depends on the phrasing and how fast you play) feel too heavy when playing forward between the black keys, and when you play broken chords with white and black keys, and press the white keys forward between the black keys, the black keys will feel lighter than the white keys, in that case it could be extremely difficult to create even dynamics.

This problem should not apear on the MP11, because the MP11 is exactly the same keybad as the VPC1 just with longer pivot point.
I have to mention I never tried the MP11, but based on my experience with the VPC1 and based on my  knowledge about the MP11, the MP11 should be perfect.

I've had the Kawai VPC1 MIDI controller keyboard about a week now, and am very happy so far. The action is very reminiscent of the response and feel of the various acoustic pianos I have played or owned, and used with Pianoteq, provides a very satisfying experience.

--

In the instruction to Roland I saw the possibility to adjust the level of dependence of the velocity with a delay. I do not know how it works with midi, but it works with internal sounds. This can add realism to the sensations of the game. Here at Kawai, there is no such thing. And I do not know if Roland sends different values of the note-off event.