Topic: Why different settings for same patches in different pianos?

Hi,

I've observed that the Mic settings as well as the effects are not the same between say i.e. Bluethner player and STW B player...

After playing the first patch for some minutes I switched to the second one and it sounded quite lower and different feeling than player perspective. I then switched again to the Bluthner player and froze output and effect parameters, then I selected STW B player and I liked pretty much how it sounded, different timbre than the Bluethner which is expected, but same perspective feeling now.

I checked why the difference, and I noticed that there are 3 mics on Bluethner player (one of them quite far behind the piano) while only 2 for the STW B player. Also different "mix" setting on the reverb section (small hall) between both patches.

Then I wondered whether somebody could explain why didn't Modart use the same mic and effects setting for one and other patch if the sound perspective is supposed to be the same (in this case is the player one)? The same could be said about other similar patches in this and that piano model.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Re: Why different settings for same patches in different pianos?

I think it has something to do with relative sizes of pianos, and making sure that phasing doesn't happen.

Hard work and guts!

Re: Why different settings for same patches in different pianos?

Indeed one of the blacker of the 'black arts' of this branch of audio science - different virtual instruments have different stereo imaging characteristics even with the same microphone set-ups.  As creating a Player imaging setup that is indistinguishable from my acoustic upright piano has been my goal since I purchased Pianoteq, I have tried all sorts of microphone positions and adjustments for different virtual instruments.  Some instruments image as though they are indeed in front of you, while others seem to always images as if they envelope you, despite using the same microphone placement and settings.  Moddart has frequently quoted the 'party line' in these forums that, in making a preset, you should make all of your piano-related changes first, and modify microphone placement last, as changes to the soundfield will modify the microphone set-up's responses - you can't simply get the same results with one microphone set-up copied from one to another to another.

- David