Topic: Statistic research. What MIDI connection/interface you use ???

I'm creating this topic to get a idea about what interface you use to connect your digital piano/Controller to pianoteq.

Tell me if you use a direct usb cable, or a MIDI-USB adapter cable, or MIDI-gameport cable into a soundcard with game port, or evan a advanced audio interface module like this:

PunBB bbcode test

This can be usefull to get a idea of average interface pianoteq's consumers use.

Re: Statistic research. What MIDI connection/interface you use ???

USB Cable (PTQ-USB Cable-PC/Laptop).

StephenG

I use a MOTU Timepiece and rme's UFX, all of my keyboards have only standard DIN MIDI capability.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st generation usb interface.
I use the midi out from my controller to the midi in of the sound card.

Same for me : Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st generation.
My main keyboard (Studiologic SL990Pro) Din-MIDI connected, secondary one (Roland A49) plugged by USB in my PC.

I use an RME UFX+ audio interface (because I have a lot of external hardware synthesizers I'm connecting to it at the same time, via MADI), so I'm using its MIDI ports with regular MIDI cables to my Kurzweil PC3K8 (in due time to be replaced with Roland RD-2000, hopefully).

Hard work and guts!

I use the simpler version of the Roland interface shown, a two channel Roland Duo-Capture Ex. My ancient Yamaha P80 uses standard MIDI in MIDI out cables. The interface plugs into my MacPro via USB, powering the unit at the same time.

MOTU Microbook IIc interface. Connect to MIDI keyboard and laptop via USB cables.

Beto-Music wrote:

Tell me if you use a direct usb cable, or a MIDI-USB adapter cable, or MIDI-gameport cable into a soundcard with game port, or evan a advanced audio interface module...

Console via MIDI cables to MOTU Micro-Lite interface, then USB cables to Computer with internal Sound Card.

a cheap typical USB... on a cheap used equipment.

I use MOTU Midi Timepiece USB to get midi info into my Mac Pro computer from my ancient Roland A-80 keyboard.  As an audio interface, I use an Apogee Duet.  Very happy with how both of these pieces of equipment work between my keyboard, computer and Pianoteq.

When recording, I like to record live into Digital Performer 9.13 and Apple Logic Pro X version 10.3, using both DAW's as a pseudo tape recorder.  Most of my audio mixing is done in LPX.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (14-07-2017 02:16)

A Zoom R24, here.

Steinberg UR-22 Mk II

- David

USB only -- ASIO4ALL software for low latency

An old internal TerraTec DMX6Fire (on my main system), USB Midi Cable if I have to use my laptop, both running Linux. (I should note that I use optical S/PDIF out for the audio, so the other qualities of the audio interface are not really relevant to my choice.)

MacBook duo core. Headphone/Line out to a Dayton-Audio class D amp to home built speaker system.  Host Pianoteq in Logic Express for recording and editing.  That's it.  Got rid of the firewire boxes, Lexicons etc.

Lanny

I forgot to ask you what the latency you get.

I'm curious to see if it's possible to get better latency than 10ms using a dual core with onboard soundcard.

USB:  MOTU 8A

http://motu.com/products/avb/8a

USB cable

MIDI: MIDISPORT Uno USB (usb2 single cable)

Soundcard: Apogee Groove (usb2 single cable)
1.3ms latency at 96000 Hz (128 samples)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD600

Computer: Mac Mini i5 2.5ghz. I'm running this headless so will boot without keyboard,mouse,monitor.
                I leave this on most of the time so I can just sit down at my keyboard and play. The mac mini draws little power when idle and
                virtually silent.

Last edited by bebop603 (16-07-2017 16:59)
Pianoteq 5, Dell Studio 14 (core i3 2.26 ghz), M-Audio Uno midi connector, Echo Indigo Djx (expresscard), Little Dot MK V Headphone Amp, Senn 580 Headphones, Kawai MP9000 digital piano

USB: iConnectAudio4+

2.9ms latency at 44kHz (128 samples)

Standard USB between Kawai ES7 and MacBook Pro for midi. USB out to Arcam-rPAC DAC to a pair of PreSonus E5s, ES7 speakers muted, for audio. For recording, having finally (hopefully!) got a sound/ambience I like, the PT wav output is topped, tailed and normalised in Audacity. (Preferred instruments Grotrian, Bluethner, SteinwayB and Ruckers harpsichord.)

USB cable from Casio Privia PX-330 into Behringer UMC-1820

Focusrite 2i4 (first generation) with Focusrite drivers

USB MIDIMATE II from ESI, using internal laptop's soundcard.
Latency at least 4-8ms, depending on buffer/frequency settings, for more details see: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads...._USB_.html

By the way now I have a newer laptop with a 7700hq processor, I can't say if the figures have improved (I don't feel difference).

Last edited by marcos daniel (20-07-2017 21:46)
Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

M-Audio "Uno"  USB-to-MIDI interface.   Inexpensive, works nicely.

I'm using the soundcard built into the laptop, with the ASIO4ALL driver.

I found that a USB link, between my laptop and PX-350, generated noise into my mixer. 

.      Charles

MOTU Midi Timepiece AV with USB connection

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Going off topic I know but can you say what your computer setup for the Timepiece is? Do you use Clockworks?

rAC wrote:
jcfelice88keys wrote:

Going off topic I know but can you say what your computer setup for the Timepiece is? Do you use Clockworks?

Oh, sorry if I didn't furnish enough information.

The reason I use a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV with a USB (as opposed to an older version which used a firewire) connection, is that my ancient Roland A-80 has only Midi In, Midi Out and Midi Thru ports; being vintage 1990, it has no USB capability within itself.

The Midi Timepiece AV (Audio/Visual, so it can clock to SMPTE) plugs into a Mac Pro Tower Vintage 2010 which has been gutted of all four of its spinning hard drives, replaced by two PCIe m.2 SSD's @ 2TB each, one of which is used as the boot drivem, and now sports 12-cores that can be hyperthreaded to 24 cores.  The Mac Pro is running the latest version of MacOS Sierra 10.12.5.

Since you asked about Clockworks:
Clockworks is used for cable routing (like a MIDI patchbay), as well as other settings such as pedal settings, sync settings, etc. Because I use my Motu MidiTimepiece AV interface with Digital Performer or Apple Logic Pro X (ten), the sequencers handle all midi cable routings without the need for Clockworks.

Although this is not part of the original question, audio output is handled by an Apogee Duet.  Needless to say, latency is not a problem with this setup.

Cheers,

Joe

This is what I get on a quad-core CPU (i5-4570S) with just 2 cores enabled:

1.5 ms audio buffer latency using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, connected via fw, driven by jack/ffado. Same goes for midi latency (interface to vst) since midi gets synchronized with audio data.

2.9 ms for each, onboard sound (Intel HDA ALC892) and USB Audio (el cheapo PC speakers), driven by alsa.

USB Midi latency (Roland A88, driven by alsa) is also considerably fast.

Oliver

Joe thanks for the information, I never knew the Timepiece had a fiewire iteration, I knew they did a serial port (or was it parallel?) variant. MIDI by DIN only is what I have for the Roland AT-45 and Kurzweil PC2r and PC3x.
I was asking about Clockworks as my setup seems a little unstable currently [not sure whether it's Sierra or the actual hardware of the Timepiece or the new 12Step not playing nicely] it has been my habit to use Clockworks for 'live' play and then change to a different setup when using Logic (now on 10.3.2) maybe I should rethink and use Logic for the MIDI routing all the time.

2nd generation Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Hope this helps

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (14-08-2017 15:57)

Either a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, or an Eridol UM1 midi interface (made by Roland now) .

Edirol FA66.  Vaguely thinking I might get a USB audio/midi interface at some point as FireWire is starting to be deprecated.