Topic: Hugh Laurie Steinway D.

I was wondering how set pianoteq model D to sound like in this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDVgQsCSaM

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-07-2017 13:31)

Re: Hugh Laurie Steinway D.

I like this sound, too.

(Strange choice to use a bow on the bass. Muddies the lower registers and just gets in the way, to me.)

Uhn ??? Where did you saw that ??? A bow ??

Jake Johnson wrote:

(Strange choice to use a bow on the bass. Muddies the lower registers and just gets in the way, to me.)

Beto-Music wrote:

Jake Johnson wrote:

You can hear it starting at about 0:56, and then see it at about 1:04. It hits many of the same bass notes as Laurie. Yep, strange for a relatively small ensemble.

This sounds like there's a mic in the room and that it's pretty high in the mix, makes up most of the sound. It's quite muddy, I don't particularly like it.

Hard work and guts!

Ohh, you refer about the cello.  Háa háaa...

I imagine for a instant, since it's a afro derived music style, you were refering to this african instrument (called berimbau on Brazil) :

PunBB bbcode test

When you say bow you can refer to chello, double bass/contrabass or even violins.

On Youtube there are some videos about crazy atempts to bow a grand piano, browing the bass strings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jPvnWhdNM

Do not even think about request that to Modartt, or they will punish you :

PunBB bbcode test

Jake Johnson wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Jake Johnson wrote:

You can hear it starting at about 0:56, and then see it at about 1:04. It hits many of the same bass notes as Laurie. Yep, strange for a relatively small ensemble.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-07-2017 18:13)

Are you referring  to a muddy overal band/group, or to the piano solo in beginning ?
The piano alone it's very nice sound, but the drummer, vibrationg, fast added some muddy feel here and there.

EvilDragon wrote:

This sounds like there's a mic in the room and that it's pretty high in the mix, makes up most of the sound. It's quite muddy, I don't particularly like it.

I personally like this muddiness.

Beto-Music wrote:

Are you referring  to a muddy overal band/group, or to the piano solo in beginning ?
The piano alone it's very nice sound, but the drummer, vibrationg, fast added some muddy feel here and there.

EvilDragon wrote:

Talking about the whole mix. Looks like there's a combination of close miking and some room mics, and room mics are louder in the mix. Dunno, not particularly liking it (though I love Laurie's playing).

Hard work and guts!

Well, it's blues...  It's not intented to sound too bright and alive. It need a touch of melancholy, and a bit of muddiness fits well. And probably they intented to capture some audience sounds too.

Bands often don't arrange things according to sound purists standards... there are not only music styles involved but visual styles, which includes bow on the bass . For the purists those might sound arbitrary choices, but most of the constructs used by purists today might look also arbitrary for others too. So all those muddying buzzing etc... create variability and uniqueness... many enjoy that,...

Last edited by Lucy (11-07-2017 22:01)

Beto-Music wrote:

EvilDragon wrote:

You responded to Evil Dragon, but I'll respond anyway, since I mentioned hearing it as muddy. I was only talking about the muddiness of the bowed instrument when it was in the same register and sometimes playing the same notes as Laurie. (It's not a bass, or a contrabass as it's called in classical circles? Looks tall for a cello to me, since he's standing, I think.)

More generally, I like the sound of the piano, which is what you posted about. Great attack and presence and a nice evolving "organic" sound. I didn't like the band arrangement or the version in general. It's a sad, down-to-the-end-of-nowhere song, literally a dirge, and somehow it comes across as almost upbeat, here, with the swing horns and the harmony singer. Too fast a tempo, is part of the problem.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (12-07-2017 00:24)

I will compose a blues, titled Midi Trouble Blues.

:-(

Jake Johnson wrote:

It's a sad, down-to-the-end-of-nowhere song, literally a dirge, and somehow it comes across as almost upbeat, here, with the swing horns and the harmony singer. Too fast a tempo, is part of the problem.

Last edited by Beto-Music (12-07-2017 03:40)

Jake Johnson wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

EvilDragon wrote:

You responded to Evil Dragon, but I'll respond anyway, since I mentioned hearing it as muddy. I was only talking about the muddiness of the bowed instrument when it was in the same register and sometimes playing the same notes as Laurie. (It's not a bass, or a contrabass as it's called in classical circles? Looks tall for a cello to me, since he's standing, I think.)

More generally, I like the sound of the piano, which is what you posted about. Great attack and presence and a nice evolving "organic" sound. I didn't like the band arrangement or the version in general. It's a sad, down-to-the-end-of-nowhere song, literally a dirge, and somehow it comes across as almost upbeat, here, with the swing horns and the harmony singer. Too fast a tempo, is part of the problem.

It's not particularly muddy. That's just the sound of the contrabass in that register. It is quite rare to see it bowed in a jazz performance but it does happen as a stylistic choice. I quite liked the combination of the bowed contrabass and the mallets rolls on the drums. They almost sound like orchestral timpani plus a bass string tremolo. Nice effect I can copy.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Now I like Hugh Laurie even more!

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor