Topic: Instrument (PTQ file) sounds like Yamaha P-255 or DGX-660?

Hi,
Is there any PTQ file or instrument (or user-defined settings) I can load into my installation easily to get a "piano instrument" that sounds like a Yamaha P-255, DGX-660, or any of the other higher-level Yamaha pianos?

Re: Instrument (PTQ file) sounds like Yamaha P-255 or DGX-660?

Generally users want modeling of acoustical pianos (worth tens of thousands) not the sampling from sub-1000$ digital pianos.

I think it would go against the company mandate to offer modeling of samples. It sounds natural to directly using the acoustical source samples are based on rather than the imitation.

Perhaps, what you meant was that you wanted equivalent sound as those Yahama piano's because you like how they sound.

Hi
There is a Ptq instrument, Grand YC5, (find it under Demo), modelled from a Japanese piano. Could be nice to use, by tweaking a bit, maybe you get closer to what you want, a P-255. Well, just a thought.

If you wish to sculpt a sub $1000 electronic imitation of a piano, try reducing the dynamic range slider down from 30+dB to less than 10dB dynamic range, to rob the piano of any real "life" in its sound.  Next, go to the equalizer and reduce the bass response, so the sound has no bottom end.  Set all three hammer hardness levels to their maximum values (yes, even the soft hammer) so that you won't have any control over the pianos nuance of sound.  Then boost the Q lever to ruin all sense of harmonics response to the instrument.  Turn down any mechanical noises (pedal noise, key release noises ... to their lowest values).  If you are able to get into the virtual microphone's placement, you might try switching from stereo .... over to mono.

That's about it:  a perfectly ruined piano sound that is lifeless, unresponsive and tinny sounding.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  Of course, this reply is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but there is a lot of truth in it!

jcfelice88keys wrote:

That's about it:  a perfectly ruined piano sound that is lifeless, unresponsive and tinny sounding.

Is it true that Yamaha and Casio have put a price on your head, Joe ? :-)

I get the sentiment but just in case the OP has some wild idea that they really, really want to make that sound, they could download some of the legacy piano models from the user area.  Those would lack some of the refinement of current Pianoteq models, but may be ballpark the desired effects for these keyboards.

It is pretty hard to advise on this as there no single piano sound on any of these keyboards - there are variations and matching something in Pianoteq 5 to them might be more trouble than it's worth.

You'd probably also want to look at adjusting the velocity curve and the sound (microphone) models as well.

StephenG

I did a vid once of a DGX 650 and P'teq D4 intertwined playing Satie's Gymno 3, I think.
They didn't sound a million miles away from each other.  The bass is heavier on the Yammie.

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

peterws wrote:

I did a vid once of a DGX 650 and P'teq D4 intertwined playing Satie's Gymno 3, I think.
They didn't sound a million miles away from each other.  The bass is heavier on the Yammie.

I do not believe unlike some others that those digital pianos have a bad sound. I will love to have any of those.

The question, the way it is written may confuse any reader. After my first reply, I realised that maybe what he meant was that he wanted a sound similar to the high end digital pianos made by Yamaha. So the models he present may not be that important, because what is high end is subjective particularly for someone with a tight budget who would consider anything above 1000$ as high end.

Also, a lot of taste is involved, some will love no matter what, samples over models... because of this particular thing they have which is hard to word  (But those particularities of samples lies in the fact that they are based on direct recordings of real pianos). Even though they do not provide the same degree of freedom and expressiveness. For those there are good free Yamaha soundfonts available...