Topic: What do you think about Electric Pianos Instrument Pack?

I'm great fan of electric piano sounds. I own few electric piano sample libraries (neo soul keys etc) and Lounge Lizard EP-4. Just bought Electric Pianos Instrument Pack. I just love it! What do you guys think of it? Is there any better vst solutions than this?(besides the real one) I haven't played real instrument but ones in my life time. Just bought Pianoteq 5 standard and few instrument packs (model B and Bluthner). I think they are also great and pianoteq is my go to piano for every project.

Re: What do you think about Electric Pianos Instrument Pack?

Andreas71 wrote:

I'm great fan of electric piano sounds. I own few electric piano sample libraries (neo soul keys etc) and Lounge Lizard EP-4. Just bought Electric Pianos Instrument Pack. I just love it! What do you guys think of it? Is there any better vst solutions than this?(besides the real one) I haven't played real instrument but ones in my life time. Just bought Pianoteq 5 standard and few instrument packs (model B and Bluthner). I think they are also great and pianoteq is my go to piano for every project.

I love the Rhodes sound. I really enjoyed the Lounge Lizard trial version, and I thought I'd buy it for Black Friday, but earlier this year Pianoteq added a Mark II model, and I bought the EP Pack instead. As you own all three side by side, I'd like to get your opinion as to how they compare.

I like Lounge Lizard a bit more mostly because I don't like to tweak too much, and it came with more sweet sounding presets. It also has a few more instruments. My choice of Pianoteq was based on cost. For me Lounge Lizard wasn't worth the extra $$.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

I think as sample based instrument Neo Soul Keys is the most authentic to me. I love NSK but because it's sampled instrument there is not much tweakability. Sure you can add fx and tweak release efx, tine/bell, barking  etc. Still the basic sound is always the same.I have old version of neo soul keys which has only one istrument (Mark I I guess).
In Lounge Lizard my biggest problem was that it never sounded like real thing. Presets are good and there is much to love in LL. I have tried to tweak LL to sound more like NSK or real rhodes as I hear it but I've failed to do so. Maybe the biggest problem was that every time I got low end or high end sound like I wanted the other end is not what I like it to be. I don't know if it is only my lack of skill to get everything right. What I like more in LL than Pianoteq is the fat barking low end. Pianoteq has more realistic high end IMHO. But don't get me wrong, I really love the sounds of LL even if they don't sound authentic to me.
Anyway to me Pianoteq Electric Pianos sounds great and are very close to real rhodes. This is only my opinion and I'm by no means expert. I just happen to love rhodes sounds

As for Rhodes models, Pianoteq (Standard or Pro) and Lounge Lizard can be tweaked to heart's content.
Lounge Lizard has more presets, but Pianoteq Standard can read fxp-files made by forum members.
As for samples, surely Neo Soul Keys is up there with the best. A new version is up and coming in a few months.
Also check out AIR Velvet, cheap but quite good, and the ones from XLN Audio, Toontrack, Soniccouture and Scarbee (included in NI Komplete). A new one from Waves as well. Then there's Keyscape from Spectrasonics. If you have Omnisphere 2, but even if you don't, I guess that's the one to rule them all.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

I have tested XLN audio, AIR and Toontrack versions. Didn't like any of them. I have Soniccouture and Scarbee Wurly libraries. Both are quite good. Neo Soul Keys updated version could be interesting. I have to check that when it is out. But for now I'm quite happy with Pianoteq. Sounds great and no long loading times when changing presets.

Last edited by Andreas71 (23-01-2017 20:33)

I prefer Lounge Lizard but EP Pianoteq have a really better sound if you put less tine noise, presets are not really good.

Just for curiosity, is there there anyone who prefers Pianoteq over Lounge Lizard or am I the only one?

I do, too.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I do, too.

I think Electric Pianos from Pianoteq is way too underrated. Everyone seems to prefer LL over Pianoteq version for unknown reasons. LL is great and I've been using that from version 3 but what comes to sound, Pianoteq is more realistic than LL. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion. But anyhow great we have plenty of choices

Less serious, but still. I kinda dislike the red and orange Pianoteq electrics GUI, probably because I love the deep blue color of the acoustics.

Pianoteq is miles ahead of lounge lizard in realistic impersonation . It can sound extremely authentic, or like something new like lounge lizard does. AAS are way behind Modartt in mathematical modelling of real instruments.

I have and use Ableton Electric (i think it's licensed from AAS), the Logic Pro Rhodes VST, and the Pianoteq Electric Pianos.  Also have used Scarbee.  I love them all!  Ableton/Lounge Lizard barks the best, Logic has nice bell tones, Scarbee's samples have very cool key noises...but overall I like Pianoteq the best (and it gets 80-90% of the use) because it feels so lively and responsive.  Vintage Electric Piano VSTs are amazing...

I think the Rhodes models in Pianoteq are great. I enjoy them a great deal. I'm not into the other electrics but that's just my personal preference.

3/2 = 5

For less than the price of the EP pack, mac users can get MainStage, which includes modeled EP and clavs and much more (alchemy). So the pianoteq EP pack does not seem like a good deal. Maybe if you own pianoteq pro and need to get your tweak on...

If you're just starting out with Pianoteq, the EP/Hohner bundle is the best one in my book. Add a grand piano or two and you're set.

buis wrote:

For less than the price of the EP pack, mac users can get MainStage, which includes modeled EP and clavs and much more (alchemy). So the pianoteq EP pack does not seem like a good deal. Maybe if you own pianoteq pro and need to get your tweak on...

I have MainStage and Logic but hardly ever use those EPs which are included in those application. For me Pianoteq EP sounds are clearly better and much more realistic.

Fleer wrote:

If you're just starting out with Pianoteq, the EP/Hohner bundle is the best one in my book. Add a grand piano or two and you're set.

Note that if you don't need the traditional pianos much, all Pianoteq versions (Stage, Standard, Pro) can use the free instruments, which include the 1926 Pleyel model F grand and the 1922 Erard half grand and the harpsichords, and the older style piano models.

StephenG

If you are interested mostly in live performance rather than recording/playback of files, there's nothing that compares to the Pianoteq EP (and AP) models, in my experience. Many of the other virtual EPs, either modeled or sampled, have presets that do sound very realistic and pleasing (e.g., Scarbee, Lounge Lizard, MainStage, etc.). I particularly like the sound of the MainStage presets that emulate the amp sound of the Rhodes Suitcase models. However, you can adjust the parameters of the Pianoteq models to sound like any of these if you wish. Yes, MainStage and others may be less expensive and may have some preset sounds you like, but the experience of playing in real time is different. Pianoteq feels more responsive and alive, and is very easy to adapt to the velocity characteristics of your keyboard. For comparison, I've owned and/or played many real Rhodes and Wurli pianos over the years. Now I can adjust Pianoteq and my keyboard to feel and sound like the real instruments (or actually better). It feels great to have a perfectly adjusted (Pianoteq) Rhodes or Wurli in a live setting. The real ones are a constant challenge to keep in good adjustment, as many of you probably know....Anyway, my basic message is that you can find many EPs that sound good, but Pianoteq is the one you want as a player for its responsive feel, in my opinion.

sjgcit wrote:
Fleer wrote:

Note that if you don't need the traditional pianos much, all Pianoteq versions (Stage, Standard, Pro) can use the free instruments, which include the 1926 Pleyel model F grand and the 1922 Erard half grand and the harpsichords, and the older style piano models.

Thanks for reminding me. You're absolutely right.

The Rhodes modelling is great but the Wurli needs work - sounds too synthetic.

I've got several physically modelled and sampled electric pianos.
My favourites are the Pianoteq and Lounge Lizard (even though the modelling isn't as cutting-edge). There is also GSI in the physical modelling, but that's not been upgraded to my on knowledge in years (I'm guessing you get exactly that in the Crumar Seven hardware keyboard - and still sounds good).

IMHO the factory presets for Pianoteq probably need improvement, particularly for the Reed (Wurly) model.

For my use the Pianoteq models are nonetheless at least as good as the very best modelled and sampled available. I've never owned the real things though. They just feel more like mechanical (almost Living) things.

However (as per another thread conversation)  the FX should be able to work in stereo from a mono line output - not a kludge with close microphones). I think they are probably working on that now.
Not such a biggie as most of us will use other FX in a DAW anyway, but it would be nice to have that in the standalone.

Though I called close miked
identically placed microphones to achieve mono out to stereo FX a kind of kludge it works well. 

Not expecting it to sound completely authentic, but typically we EQ the heck out of EP sounds anyway.  So probably very similar results to the line out - and moving the close miked microphones (together) is another way to change the sound balance like EQ.

I do prefer Pianoteq over LL or anything for the matter but I was able to do so only when upgrading to the Pro version. Voicing the pickups per key was an eye opener for me to get the sound I wanted.

Last edited by Chopin87 (23-09-2021 13:26)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Chopin87 wrote:

I do prefer Pianoteq over LL or anything for the matter but I was able to do so only whan upgrading to the Pro version. Voicing the pickups per key was an eye opener for me to get the sound I wanted.

I'm sure you are right. That's some hardcore tweaking, and nothing wrong with that. That's if you want to simulate the piano tuner/service engineer aspect too. I might go for Pro one day but it's not really on my radar right now TBH.

I'm just a little wary that folks wanting great performance from the presets alone might get the impression from comments like this that that is what it takes to get good sound from Pianoteq!

Personally I'm perfectly satisfied with the substantial sound tuning opportunities in Standard. Heck, even Stage can be tuned a great deal with the EQ and FX options (the latter which is more relevant to electric pianos than standard pianos).
  No doubt many casual musicians (that are perhaps less computer savvy) find even those options a little overwhelming.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (23-09-2021 08:09)