Topic: New features you want to Pianoteq (not instruments)

What new features you would like to see in the future in PTQ? (Anything what you wish to see if it's currently possible or not)

To me its next things:

FX:
- Ability to host VST/AU plugins inside Pianoteq
- Better EQ (more bands and zooming option/bigger display for EQ)
- Low/notch/high cut filter with velocity control (with resonance control)
- Different amp types/models + cabinet modeling.(Not essential if VST/AU hosting comes true)
- Ability to specify space for instruments (room size + wall materials etc)

Features:
- Ability to combine/layer instrumets
- Ability to split instruments (with velocity fade option)
- Ability to create instrument models from audio samples (In my dreams:))
- Song creation tool ala Toontrack Ezkeys
- Real time chord detection

Last edited by Andreas71 (26-05-2017 19:22)

Re: New features you want to Pianoteq (not instruments)

iOS version. Nothing else remotely as important.

tfort wrote:

Wouldn't this be too much asking for an ARM architecture? Perhaps a reduced version?

Andreas71 wrote:

What new features you would like to see in the future in PTQ? (Anything what you wish to see if it's currently possible or not)

This particular one gets first price... but the probability is high that for the many years (and possible for all eternity) to come it will remain in your dream.

Last edited by Lucy (29-04-2017 02:28)

Lucy wrote:
Andreas71 wrote:

This particular one gets first price... but the probability is high that for the many years (and possible for all eternity) to come it will remain in your dream.

I know that. But as I said these future dreams don't have to be a currently achieavable.

So let your imagination fly

Last edited by Andreas71 (29-04-2017 04:15)

Lucy wrote:
tfort wrote:

Wouldn't this be too much asking for an ARM architecture? Perhaps a reduced version?

I disagree with your statement. I think ARM architecture is in bar with intel and ahead what comes to single core performance. And anyway PTQ is quite easy in CPU performance so I see  no problems running PTQ in ARM based mobile devices.

Last edited by Andreas71 (29-04-2017 04:40)

Andreas71 wrote:
Lucy wrote:
tfort wrote:

I disagree with your statement. I think ARM architecture is in bar with intel and ahead what comes to single core performance. And anyway PTQ is quite easy in CPU performance so I see  no problems running PTQ in ARM based mobile devices.

ARM architecture is very efficient for unprocessed (like in unprocessed food ) light softwares. Install Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry PI 3, then Ubuntu software center from the welcome screen... you will see which softwares crash (why for instance Gimp works, but Krita crash). By the time you find 10 you will see the pattern and predict before even trying which aren't handled without issues.

The Benchmarks you check on the web are for everyday use instructions, while those might be accurate for over 80% of the time, it takes less than 1 % necessary coding which can not be efficiently compiled to make any porting impossible.

For instance, my third generation Raspberry pi beats an old Intel Atom netbook I have for typical softwares... but when I come across FPU intensive stuff, the Raspberry PI will either quit, crash or not even run it. But since for common tasks, those are not required the usual benchmarks don't always show them.

To jump from one architecture to another, it takes a development team and a lot of ressources. And besides, Apple has its own modified version of ARM which does not represent the ''natural'' ARM architecture. Why I am saying this is that, I believe it would better for Modarff (in terms of revenues) to drop IOS and concentrate on ARM embedded systems running Linux, if such a porting was possible.

This way many companies might build electronic pianos based on simple standard ports... even schemas might be available and do it yourself.

Last edited by Lucy (29-04-2017 06:12)

Lucy wrote:
Andreas71 wrote:
Lucy wrote:

ARM architecture is very efficient for unprocessed (like in unprocessed food ) light softwares. Install Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry PI 3, then Ubuntu software center from the welcome screen... you will see which softwares crash (why for instance Gimp works, but Krita crash). By the time you find 10 you will see the pattern and predict before even trying which aren't handled without issues.

The Benchmarks you check on the web are for everyday use instructions, while those might be accurate for over 80% of the time, it takes less than 1 % necessary coding which can not be efficiently compiled to make any porting impossible.

For instance, my third generation Raspberry pi beats an old Intel Atom netbook I have for typical softwares... but when I come across FPU intensive stuff, the Raspberry PI will either quit, crash or not even run it. But since for common tasks, those are not required the usual benchmarks don't always show them.

To jump from one architecture to another, it takes a development team and a lot of ressources. And besides, Apple has its own modified version of ARM which does not represent the ''natural'' ARM architecture. Why I am saying this is that, I believe it would better for Modarff (in terms of revenues) to drop IOS and concentrate on ARM embedded systems running Linux, if such a porting was possible.

This way many companies might build electronic pianos based on simple standard ports... even schemas might be available and do it yourself.

Could we please stop this? Each time someone expresses the very understandable desire for an IOS version, out pops a technological and marketing guru who, without any detailed knowledge of either the software or the company explains why this is impossible, commercially disastrous, etc. I do not see the point, but the common motivation seems to be that Modartt should instead concentrate on the guru's special interest, which sounds fine to me, but please understand that other people may want other things. It should be possible to ask for a feature without submitting a technology blueprint, a feasibilty study and a marketing plan.

For me, I settled a while ago by buying Korg's app, which does a credible job, but ymmv. For the rest, I should add that I think Modartt is extremely accomodating to their user community's, not so much in communication, but certainly in developments.

Last edited by pz (29-04-2017 11:19)

Better preamp section for EPs.
Limiter options.
Possibility to use the fx section for other instruments outside the app somehow (mainly to blend in the same space).

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

pz, Would be fine that some users accept the very same freedom they enjoy in answering others.

Last edited by Lucy (29-04-2017 13:57)

Screw iOS. Modartt would need to severely undercut the price of Pianoteq to make it financially viable as an iOS app, which I don't think they are interested in doing. Or they would need to make an extremely cut-back version of Pianoteq, which is again more work that forks from the main product that actually generates the biggest part of their revenue. Financial suicide either way.

Get a Surface Pro, install Pianoteq just like you would on a desktop computer. Problem solved.

Last edited by EvilDragon (29-04-2017 15:20)
Hard work and guts!

A timbre slider somewhere that can add this general sound:
https://soundcloud.com/garritan

Good time! And I liked this balance setting in unison:
Unison Balance = [+0.49, +0.47, +0.51, +0.14, +0.49, +0.54, +0.52, +0.22, +0.51, +0.17, +0.20, +0.49, +0.50, +0.49, +0.50, +0.21, +0.54, +0.48, +0.48, +0.20, +0.50, +0.22, +0.21, +0.48, +0.53, +0.50, +0.54, +0.18, +0.51, +0.47, +0.51, +0.14, +0.49, +0.20, +0.21, +0.52, +0.49, +0.52, +0.48, +0.18, +0.49, +0.50, +0.46, +0.16, +0.49, +0.19, +0.21, +0.51, +0.48, +0.48, +0.47, +0.18, +0.47, +0.49, +0.49, +0.17, +0.47, +0.22, +0.16, +0.48, +0.46, +0.48, +0.49, +0.18, +0.50, +0.46, +0.51, +0.16, +0.47, +0.18, +0.20, +0.52, +0.51, +0.48, +0.51, +0.19, +0.47, +0.50, +0.45, +0.17, +0.50, +0.21, +0.21, +0.50, +0.50, +0.53, +0.46, +0.17]

DonSmith wrote:

A timbre slider somewhere that can add this general sound:
https://soundcloud.com/garritan

It sounds like a high pass filter.
You can achieve something like this by using the EQ effect (in the effects session) and cutting a more or less great amount of the basses with the first EQ point, for the +50 sound effect.
On the contrary, for a -50 effect, you can cut the highs with the 3rd Eq point to obtain this kind of Low pass filter.

Last edited by stamkorg (30-04-2017 08:01)

EvilDragon wrote:

Screw iOS... Financial suicide either way...

Excellent points. Well argued. Modartt should also cease development of Linux and MacOs versions immediately, or indeed anything that Mr. Dragon does not use. Focus on Windows desktops, that is clearly where the money is. In fact the optimal approach would be to clone Mr. Dragon's computer and preferences, and devote the entire development team's afforts on improving that. Sorry that this sounds a bit more personal than I would have liked; please substitute X for Dragon.

(My 50th and last post on this forum, clearly not a high. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)

Last edited by pz (30-04-2017 09:50)

I would like to have an option to mute and map keys. Than you can mix several sounds of pianoteq or other softwareinstruments in your host to get a very collorfull instrument. That can be done very easy, I think.
Today, this is only possible with aditional midi-software

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl...mp;id=2169

or with Max for live, of corse.

Last edited by Experimentor (30-04-2017 09:57)

EvilDragon wrote:

Screw iOS. ...

While I agree with the bulk of your post, the opening was, perhaps, not the most diplomatic.

However you were responding to this :

tfort wrote:

Frankly iOS fanboys need to become more realistic.  The world does not revolve around Apple.  If you're going to adopt this arrogant sounding tone for iOS you're going to annoy people.  Nothing else may be as important to an iOS user, but I could say the same about Linux - nothing else is as remotely as important to me as a Linux version.

If anything Android (which I personally detest about the same as iOS) is a more significant platform going forward.  However, Atom CPU based systems already have enough power and run OSes that Modartt do support, so switching to ARM would be perhaps a step they don't want to invest in.

pz wrote:

Modartt should also cease development of Linux and MacOs versions immediately

OK, taking this lightly out of context as it was said sarcastically, but just for the record, as Linux user (and I think there are several who post regularly) I'd hope Modartt continue to support Linux using their cross platform development approach.  I recognize it's a platform with a small user base, so we can only hope that's practical, rather than expect.

StephenG

pz wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Screw iOS... Financial suicide either way...

Excellent points. Well argued. Modartt should also cease development of Linux and MacOs versions immediately, or indeed anything that Mr. Dragon does not use. Focus on Windows desktops, that is clearly where the money is. In fact the optimal approach would be to clone Mr. Dragon's computer and preferences, and devote the entire development team's afforts on improving that. Sorry that this sounds a bit more personal than I would have liked; please substitute X for Dragon.

(My 50th and last post on this forum, clearly not a high. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)

You're taking this too personal. Why would anyone want to restrict himself to ios devices when running Pianoteq? Wouldn't you want the optimum configuration? Would be nice if you post what you want in a reduced version? ARM devices (including apples)... are good for scoring, very practical... light, quick and does not take space... everyone can start working on those devices to then later ''render'' them on x86.

Thing is that you must consider that Korg survives on several products while from what I read Modarrf on one software. For Korg such a move represents little in comparison to Modarff. Korg can recycle resources from elsewhere, but this must represent a lot for Modarff to invest a whole development team for a reduced version. It would be [what the French call] a ''caprice''.

If the Linux and MacOS version cease to exist, I will be unhappy in the beginning, but hey I am running Pianoteq on netbooks I got for the equivalent of 200 US $ which originally comes with Windows 10. For me the OS is not that much important, it is only good at running the software I want.

Last edited by Lucy (30-04-2017 19:46)

I'd like the ability to add more anchor points to the 'EQU3' Filter Parameters. Also, make them different colours so that you can easily identify them when you swap them around.

It would be nice on the Rhodes Mark I to be able to choose between the different hammer tips (felt, wood, neoprene) that were used as the keyboard evolved.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

I do not know if that would make sense. But I have the following idea that I would like in the next version of Pianoteq. I would like that the slider "condition" did not change the pitch of the notes, but changed the parameters "width of unison" and "balance of unison" individually in each overtone. For example: I increase the "condition" and in the note becomes the first overtone with the value of the width of the unison 1.2 and the unison balance for example 0.1. The second overtone is width unison 1.13 and the balance unison is 0.07. The third is the width of the unison 1.25 and the unison balance is 0.15..etc. And so differently in each note. I wonder what effect this can bring to the sound and timbre? And it's great, then, to make the "condition" applicable separately to each note in the "Pro" version.

Last edited by scherbakov.al (02-05-2017 14:26)

It would be nice to have a "playlist" feature so you could load a list of midi files to be played.

Good morning
I would like to see
- implementation of GPU acceleration, enabling (or improving the possibility) for some of us to re-dispose outdated notebook / netbooks for the exclusive use of Pianoteq
- arm build + GPU acceleration (making possible to use properly a Rasberry pi)
- enabling midi-out in Pianoteq so to make possible to bridge other software instruments without the need to use Jack or other virtual midi port software or just interface with piano learning software
- additional instruments addons (such a Fazioli addon)

It would be nice to have
- a more up to current fashion user interface

Hm, I am not sure that too many new instruments or too many new possibilities inside will bring a joy to just play an instrument and real joy when new version with sound improvement of Pianoteq comes. More posibilities also will bring too many delay from one version to another because there are lots of work to improve growing base of bunch of instruments. Modartt need a balance or must hire more people for a job. I dont want to wait 5 or more years from one version to another.

Last edited by slobajudge (04-05-2017 09:22)

Well, when reading all these amazing innovative suggestions, as an old retired teacher, I remember that I learned something from my pupils. They wanted to do things at speed that was comfortable for them, in own pace. I think Modartt have their own schedule and have found the place in the sun. And they are surrounded by us in this forum -  hopefully we give them a gentle push every now and then and help them keep the enthusiasm (hope I found the right words in english). But, I myself, can wait and enjoy then, when something new comes up.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

[...] hopefully we give them a gentle push every now and then and help them keep the enthusiasm [...].

How true, very nice words, thank you

It is my pleasure to help you.

I run Pianoteq on a dedicated PC next to my DP. I would really like to see the option of running Pianoteq as a service so the GUI does not start up and I can run it is I want to make changes. Perhaps this  can already be done and I am not aware, if so let me know.

Mike. wrote:

I run Pianoteq on a dedicated PC next to my DP. I would really like to see the option of running Pianoteq as a service so the GUI does not start up and I can run it is I want to make changes. Perhaps this  can already be done and I am not aware, if so let me know.

Why? You can put PTQ in an Autostart folder. That's how I did it.
I only switch on my Laptop (but keeping it closed), wait for some seconds, then it works.
As long as I use the last setup, I don't have to do anything on the keyboard, nor do I need a screen.
The GUI is running, ok, but who cares?
Only when I want to make changes, I open the Laptop.

Arkanda wrote:

I only switch on my Laptop (but keeping it closed), wait for some seconds, then it works.

Out of subject, but just for my information, how can you switch a laptop on if it is closed?

Thanks,

sK

stamkorg wrote:
Arkanda wrote:

Out of subject, but just for my information, how can you switch a laptop on if it is closed?

Thanks,

sK

It's a Thinkpad in a docking station. I configured it to no action when the laptop is closed.
And the dockingstation has also a power switch outside.
Then I configured Windows to automatically logon.
So this is very convenient, just hit the power switch on the docking station,
wait some seconds, then PTQ runs without any further interaction and I can begin to play.

Arkanda wrote:
Mike. wrote:

Why? You can put PTQ in an Autostart folder. That's how I did it.
As long as I use the last setup, I don't have to do anything on the keyboard, nor do I need a screen.
The GUI is running, ok, but who cares?
Only when I want to make changes, I open the Laptop.

I do this currently and have tried having the program autostart fullscreen or windowed. Certainly this is not a deal breaker to me. My PC running Pianoteq runs headless meaning no keyboard, mouse, or monitor. It just hangs out next to my DP. I access the PC from another computer using RDP. When the pianoteq pc is rebooted and I RDP into it the program size is messed up, even when running full screen. Honestly, it is not a big deal to me and I think my situation is unique.

I would consider trying the linux version but unfortunately I think my audio interface does not support linux.

Desired additions:

1. EQ controls for each mic
2. Control over the mass of each hammer
3. Control over the string make-up or perhaps just the thickness or density.
4 .More generally, a more realistic impression of sitting at the piano. Not sure what this would entail. More vibrations from the body? A change in the speed at which the immediate sound from the strings reaches the speakers versus the reflected sound? A control for the thump of the key on the keybed?

+1 for realtime chord detection - that would be awesome!
+ \infty for Android & iOS versions.

As far as sound is concerned:

• Pianoteq is mostly enjoyable to me when used with headphones (and even then - mostly in Binaural mode)
    No matter how good (or even professional) the speakers I try, it always sounds pretty bad..

• Pianoteq's sound is much weaker, less vivid and fades all too quickly compared to real acoustic pianos.

• The mid-range sounds to me more like a guitar than a piano.

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement in those areas.

One more thing that's completely unrelated to PTQ6:
In the Listen page on the Pianoteq's website there are several recording with customized modes.
It would have been awesome to be able to download these FXP files.

Last edited by bmoshe (08-05-2017 21:22)

bmoshe wrote:

[*]Pianoteq's sound is much weaker, less vivid and fades all too quickly compared to real acoustic pianos.[/*]

Well that's just not true. Pianoteq's notes decay just as long as on a real piano (low notes decay sometimes over a minute, which is exactly how it is in the real world too).

Last edited by EvilDragon (08-05-2017 22:14)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
bmoshe wrote:

[*]Pianoteq's sound is much weaker, less vivid and fades all too quickly compared to real acoustic pianos.[/*]

Well that's just not true. Pianoteq's notes decay just as long as on a real piano (low notes decay sometimes over a minute, which is exactly how it is in the real world too).

I agree.  The decay replicates that on an acoustic. Re sound in general, so much depends upon the equipment being used.  I have used Pianoteq in 2 houses, several different rooms with different equipment and played it in recitals in different venues. Pianoteq is not perfect - what is - but there are so many adjustments it is possible to achieve a good sound to suit your equipment/room. I don't use headphones: never had the use for them with my acoustic grands. Yes, I have spent many hours tweaking Pianoteq instruments to suit my rooms/equipment, but I no longer go through fitting sound deadening/funding expensive technician tweaks getting acoustic grands to suit my living room.

Re this thread, the only aspect which has defeated me is the balance at forte levels between bass and treble.  Softening the forte hammer hardness reduces the treble brightness but makes the bass somewhat woolly.  A clear crisp bass results - at forte and above - in a too bright treble.  For me. It's probably down to my ears but certainly doesn't spoil my enjoyment. The Pro version - I have the Standard - might resolve this.

Having enjoyed the improvements with the SteinwayB and even more the Grotrian I could live with what I have now. 4 presets A to D rather than just the 2 would be nice. I have my tweaked, custom version of the Ruckers permanently available, so having more than one piano immediately available would save me searching for them. Off topic slightly, the main improvement for me would be for the other pianos I have to be upgraded to the touch and sound quality of the Grotrian.

If Modarrt went out business - heaven forbid - I would not look out for better instruments from elsewhere, as long as I could continue to play the present Pianoteq instruments.

+1 for MIDI file playlist. That seems like an easy win.

sandalholme wrote:

Re this thread, the only aspect which has defeated me is the balance at forte levels between bass and treble.  Softening the forte hammer hardness reduces the treble brightness but makes the bass somewhat woolly.  A clear crisp bass results - at forte and above - in a too bright treble.  For me. It's probably down to my ears but certainly doesn't spoil my enjoyment. The Pro version - I have the Standard - might resolve this.

It will, as you can adjust all three hammer hardness slider values - per key!

Hard work and guts!

Thanks for that! I passed on the opportunity to buy the Pro version when it was on offer. May have to think agaih .......

Specifically, I want to see new features added to the Pianoteq interface.

The Pianoteq interface, let's face it; because in my view, it in its present state (in which it has been for a duration now) is lacking, definitely.  It lacks numerous things I and presumably others would like to see on it, if possible.  Since personally I got about every upgrade or update that was released after version 2.1 and am now a Pianoteq Pro user, I've noticed features are absent in its interface design.  Some I suggest appear below:

1.)     Loop Feature

At your desktop when you load a midi file and adjust or fine tune Pianoteq parameters to it, if you want to continue adjustments pass the length of the file, you have to restart or relocate the interface play head to a point in the file timeline, intermittently.  However, if were added a possible loop feature (that is) a clickable area of the file you highlight, you could just select (midi loop start and stop) positions and afterwards (as you listen to your midi file) make the necessary Pianoteq parameter adjustments to your overall piano sound, uninterruptedly, and without your physically er annoyingly having constantly to restart the file only because you want to hear just a section of it, continuously, repeated.

2.)     Playlist Feature with Individual File Renders

If a file playlist feature were added to Pianoteq and capable of batch renders from within the software, you could take several of your Pianoteq software recorded performances, save them to individual MIDI files, load and play them within a playlist, while they play, tweak all the Pianoteq (playlist) parameters to your heart's content, including playlist reverb, compression, delay, and equalization changes, and, hear that playlist whatever number of times needed for the latest parameter changes to eventually suit your liking, or, your rendering this playlist either partially or in its entirety into your very next piano project.  Additionally, if you want to listen to automatically saved recordings of the past performances, you should have an opt for you to hear and review, continuously, all or just a selection of those which have been recorded by the Pianoteq software.

3.)     Mini Presets Text Entry Feature

If text description windows were saved within Mini Presets, they could allow your having readily available and fully detailed descriptions of all your presets, but, mic presets specifically, since each of these might require your making a note referenced to specific piano parts or sections, relevant measurements, and any other data which can distinguish one microphone preset from several others.  To me, detailed text information such as exact microphone placements including measurements and their relation to identifiable parts on a piano, is too obtrusive and lengthy to fit narrowly in the very small confinement space intended merely for a preset name.

4.)     Opt for United States Customary Units

American Pianoteq users like me are likely to use and view customary units (by which we are more familiar than we are to metric measurements).  Might an options window, or User Interface section of it, which allows language choices and interface magnification, allow also a pro United States Customary Units option.

5.)     Last Opened Windows Positions Remembered Feature

Pianoteq launches relatively quickly.  However, if you always opt for customized windows whenever you launch, as I do, your having to manually rearrange or reposition those after each launch appears slow and unnecessarily tedious.  That is counterproductive and counterintuitive to me as it seems to negate fast launch times altogether, or readily available and viewable areas overall at each software start.

6.)    Reverb Export

Exportable reverbs might permit an entire Pianoteq saved performance to have instrumental or vocal parts added to it easily if the performance's impulse response (file) were available to you to import into your DAW.  Via an impulse response ready software and Pianoteq impulse responses, if they were exportable, when Pianoteq records your remarkable performance, it should permit you to fit in any number of accompaniments and place those convincingly inside whatever recording features your chosen Pianoteq reverb.  Consequently, this is whenever you take a Pianoteq file to your DAW and share the file's recorded ambience with the DAW instruments that are to appear recorded in the same space, though it's virtual.

7.)    Recording Parameters Recall

Pianoteq makes a list of your last performances.  And, you have each of them time stamped, showing when you played each.  Though the software records your performances, you got no way to recall what Pianoteq parameter settings were for any given recording, after it was made.  If you were able to reproduce settings from any point in time, they might bring you close to the emotions, or the way, you felt while you played your passage  —more so than arbitrary or random settings and a bare midi file recreate an instant recall with all the esthetics of your original performance intact.

8.)    Detachable Piano Lid Feature

If a recording from virtual piano software is ever to become audibly indistinguishable, truly from any acoustic piano recording, the software itself must simulate virtually all the aspects of a real piano recording taken from a physical piano.  This goes for piano lid positions, whenever the piano’s lid was used to record the piano.  Contrarily, when the piano was recorded with its lid detached, piano software as such certainly might simulate this piano condition too, that is, if it were accurately to replicate virtually all the audible particulars of that one discernible piano recording, specifically.

9.)    Mic for Closed Lid Pianos

In real world scenarios closed lid pianos have microphones placed underneath their lids and deep inside them to stop bleed from other instruments.  Manufacturers build microphones or microphone systems specifically suited to these situations in which a piano's closed lid is an absolute necessity.  Will Pianoteq believably allow you to simulate the situations with virtual versions of those well suited microphones and complete microphone systems ideally intended for closed lid piano recording!

10.)    Select Microphone Additions and Preamps

New microphone models introduce technological innovations from audio equipment manufacturers, backed by teams of dedicated researchers.  Hopefully, Modartt will start to periodically update its modeled microphone selection in Pianoteq.  Personally, l'd like to see the addition of the Earthworks PM-40 Piano Mic system and the Neumann TLM 102 added, if Pianoteq were to include simulated versions of both these and some models of microphone preamps.  For one I feel preamps are as much needed as Pianoteq's current microphone offerings, and just as many, if the piano software will ever precisely and definitively match contemporary piano sounds that emanate from the recorded media available today  —popular, classical, jazz, country, rock, blues, ragtime, hip hop and others.  The addition of preamps may permit a musician, a keyboardist, from piano software, to match or dial in some close proximity to what he heard made by broadcasts, downloads, CDs, records and the like.  That which preamps permitted: the effectiveness of quality microphones run from quality preamps.

11.)    Note Volume per Mic Output

Individual note volumes are adjustable already.  However in Pianoteq PRO, if they were made adjustable for each output separately, you’d have a convenient way to avoid unpleasant phase cancellations and even possibly pan chordal comping differently from fancy runs in a jazz piano solo  —via DAW automation of course.

12.)    Morph Piano Model A to B Window Incrementally and visa versa Pianoteq Pro Feature

If Pianoteq PRO offered a way for you to create a model morphed from another, you'd have maybe representations from the low frequencies of piano A, the mid of piano B, and the highs of C to customize, increasingly, your very own new and unique piano model!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (19-04-2019 08:47)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Pianoteq is neither a sequencer nor a DAW.

The expected features to come should be compared to what the other brands offer (in facts not so much...)

I only wish the Pianoteq team continues to develop the model itself to achieve the best possible tone.

stamkorg wrote:

Pianoteq is neither a sequencer nor a DAW.

The expected features to come should be compared to what the other brands offer (in facts not so much...)

I only wish the Pianoteq team continues to develop the model itself to achieve the best possible tone .

+1....+100

Last edited by slobajudge (12-05-2017 09:53)

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

4.)     Opt for United States Customary Units

Just no.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

9.)    Mic for Closed Lid Pianos

This is already possible, you can move the microphone "inside" the piano if you want.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

10.)    Select Microphone Additions and Pre-amps

Agreed on more mics, completely disagreed on preamps. Use other plugins for this.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

11.)    Note Volume per Mic Output

Completely unnecessary and overly complicated. There are other ways to deal with phasing in this case.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

12.)    Morph Piano Model A to B Window Incrementally and visa versa Pianoteq Pro Feature

That one is not possible easily because presets loaded in A and B can be completely different models, and that's two completely different sets of data.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-05-2017 14:53)
Hard work and guts!

I use 'Stage' as I'm using  it to learn the piano again after a very long break.  I'm using midi files to learn songs that I like but find it difficult to distinguish which notes are being played, as the visual cue can be too subtle to distinguish in the virtual keyboard;  it's especially difficult to distinguish which black keys are being played.

Could you provide the means of customising the colours (better highlighting the keys being played) in the virtual keyboard please?

Please also remember that many people learning the piano will tend to buy the stage version, so any tuition tools or integration with 3rd party tuition aids/tools will be offered within this version are likely to be greatly appreciated by this segment of your customer base.

Replying to Tris:  I agree it can be hard to see the black notes, but are you aware you can change the tempo of midi playback (in particular slow it down) and also step forward/backward through notes in a midi file with the arrow keys both of which are very helpful to see what notes are being played.

Tris wrote:

I use 'Stage' as I'm using  it to learn the piano again after a very long break.  I'm using midi files to learn songs that I like but find it difficult to distinguish which notes are being played, as the visual cue can be too subtle to distinguish in the virtual keyboard;  it's especially difficult to distinguish which black keys are being played.

Could you provide the means of customising the colours (better highlighting the keys being played) in the virtual keyboard please?

Please also remember that many people learning the piano will tend to buy the stage version, so any tuition tools or integration with 3rd party tuition aids/tools will be offered within this version are likely to be greatly appreciated by this segment of your customer base.

You can increase the size of the panel (with the keyboard) if that helps. Ideally you should get at least a midi keyboard. I advice a 76 keys Casio, they can be had for very cheap. This way if you connect it, you can simultaneously use Pianoteq and another software at the same time and plus the Casio (which is  made specifically for your needs) has a screen which shows the keys being pressed. Probably there are other brands, but I have no experience with those.

Furthermore, with a midi student keyboard, you can output midi files to your keyboard and have the notes displayed on its screen.

Last edited by Lucy (13-05-2017 15:44)

scherbakov.al wrote:

I do not know if that would make sense. But I have the following idea that I would like in the next version of Pianoteq. I would like that the slider "condition" did not change the pitch of the notes, but changed the parameters "width of unison" and "balance of unison" individually in each overtone. For example: I increase the "condition" and in the note becomes the first overtone with the value of the width of the unison 1.2 and the unison balance for example 0.1. The second overtone is width unison 1.13 and the balance unison is 0.07. The third is the width of the unison 1.25 and the unison balance is 0.15..etc. And so differently in each note. I wonder what effect this can bring to the sound and timbre? And it's great, then, to make the "condition" applicable separately to each note in the "Pro" version.

Similar request - pro already allows adjusting the relative volumes of overtones per note. Why not also allow individual tuning of the fundamental and of each overtone of each note?

honjr wrote:
scherbakov.al wrote:

Similar request - pro already allows adjusting the relative volumes of overtones per note. Why not also allow individual tuning of the fundamental and of each overtone of each note?

In the pro version (not sure about other versions), we can already adjust the tuning of each note. Open the drop box from the upper left corner of any Note Edit pane, and choose Detune, the first item in the list. The pitch of each overtone cannot be directly controlled, but changing the length of the strings will change the pitch of all of the overtones.

There can be an individual "detuning" and "unison balance" for each overtone. In small limits.

There's way too many overtones for that to be even remotely useful.

Hard work and guts!