Topic: Korg C3500 and Tascam US-122 - painfully close to working [solved]

I have my Korg C3500 midi out plugged into my US-122 midi-in; the red light comes on for midi-in when I press a key.  I have my line outs on the US-122 connected to my keyboard amp; tests or even using the virtual keyboard in Pianoteq makes sounds through the amp as does the demo song provided with Pianoteq instruments.  However, playing keys on the Korg does not give me a sound from my keyboard amp.  Any ideas on what to try?

Pianoteq 5.8.1 (the complete studio version with all of the instruments), Windows 10, 64-bit

Last edited by mekosmowski (05-04-2017 01:12)

Re: Korg C3500 and Tascam US-122 - painfully close to working [solved]

Not a Pianoteq problem but hopefully just a very simple plug change..

*Have you tried instead to plug the Midi out from keyboard into a PC USB slot?*

(in my case I use old midi cable with the two old plugs which run out to a single USB in, it's a cheap converter cable - lower latency for me than using a new USB square end to standard USB).

You can hear the piano from your speakers when using the virtual keyboard (with mouse clicking) because you are triggering those midi events FROM your PC.. so:

if the keyboard is plugged in there to your PC, it would be analogous

I do hope that works for you.

[edited for grammar]

Last edited by Qexl (04-04-2017 07:33)
Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

mekosmowski wrote:

I have my Korg C3500 midi out plugged into my US-122 midi-in; the red light comes on for midi-in when I press a key.  I have my line outs on the US-122 connected to my keyboard amp; tests or even using the virtual keyboard in Pianoteq makes sounds through the amp as does the demo song provided with Pianoteq instruments.  However, playing keys on the Korg does not give me a sound from my keyboard amp.  Any ideas on what to try?

Pianoteq 5.8.1 (the complete studio version with all of the instruments), Windows 10, 64-bit

When you play the keys, do you see them move on the Pianoteq screen? If not, it is a midi problem.
Do you have selected the right midi controller in Pianoteq? In your case, you should select Tascam US-122 as midi in.
Good luck

I restarted all the software with the keyboard plugged into the audio interface and now things work.  Maybe jack isn't plug and play.  Anyhow, things are working now, tyvm for responding!

Hmmm... after another few minutes of irritation, I think it is a jack issue.  When jack is running, I have the problem.  When jack is not running, things work.

Not commenting here either way, whether you need Jack on Win 10 (don't know your case scenario) but in case this scenario helps, go to...

http://asio4all.com/

Download and install the free audio driver - I can certainly recommend it, as I'm sure many Pianoteq users would be also using it without friction.

In Pianoteq you choose it and it will start without having to worry about things like "load the Jack server", having the Jack interface etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, have used Jack in Linux - but ASIO4all might be best on Win - it is that way for me,
Cheers.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Using A4A when US-122 probably has its own ASIO drivers is a bit weird...

A4A is there for audio interfaces that DON'T have their own ASIO drivers (like builtin Realtek chips on laptops etc.). It's basically a kludgey WDM to ASIO wrapper...

Hard work and guts!

Maybe I'm missing something but I can use A4A's interface to select the audio device (choosing the external device driver OR standard onboard) - thus replacing the need for something like Jack, in case that's the failure point.

Pianoteq edit/preferences Devices tab:

"Audio device type" shows as ASIO
"Device" shows as ASIO4all

My active output channels are the external device's L + R

at Sample rate: 48000Hz

Audio buffer: 64

Latency sec: 1.3ms

When using my device before Win update from 8 to 8.1 hosed things, and before I tried ASIO4all I couldn't get better than 48KHz and latency was as much as 15ms.

I had been using Jack in an attempt to keep my Windows and Linux workflows as similar as possible.  At some point, if I get bothered enough, I'll try to sort out Jack midi on Windows.  Anyhow, I reset MuseScore to not use Jack for playback and I've retired Jack from active use for the moment.